How Long Will Skiles Last?

fordronken

Reaction score
He just signed a four year extension with the Bulls. That being said, how long will he be coaching there? Even as early as last year, Gordon has said he didn't understand Skiles and said that he has basically never talked to him. At all.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Skiles was a crappy coach when he was here. I just think that Hinrich's play is a big reason that team is good.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skiles is actually pretty good when he has the kind of players that fit his approach. His biggest problem was that the Suns trade Kidd for Marbury and Marbury was not Skiles kind of player. When it became clear that his best player was not going to do exactly what Kiles wanted, Skiles all but gave up on the team.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Skiles is an amazing X and Os guy, he just isn't personable. Once he gets players to buy into the system, like he did with Gordon - it should be smooth sailing.

He has also lightened up a lot since his Phx days.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Skiles is actually pretty good when he has the kind of players that fit his approach. His biggest problem was that the Suns trade Kidd for Marbury and Marbury was not Skiles kind of player. When it became clear that his best player was not going to do exactly what Kiles wanted, Skiles all but gave up on the team.

Sorry I don't buy that. Marbury was our best player on the team, but we didn't have Amare like we have him now and he had to deal with that dead weight Hardaway and Gugliotta. Still he wasn't a very good coach.

baltimorer

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Sorry I don't buy that. Marbury was our best player on the team, but we didn't have Amare like we have him now and he had to deal with that dead weight Hardaway and Gugliotta. Still he wasn't a very good coach.

Actually, that's not really true. For a good portion of Skiles' tenure with the team, Penny was certainly one of our best players. Of course, there was the 2001-2002 season when he was injured for all but 4 games, but even in that season the team won 51 games. The next season, Marbury's first season in Phoenix, Penny started off very well, but Marbury eventually took over the team, and everybody else began to struggle. So that pretty much sealed Skiles' fate. I'm not sure if it was Skiles' fault or Marbury's, or a combination of the two, but the fact is before Marbury came to the team, Skiles' teams won 53 and 51 games.

Errntknght

Reaction score
After catching glimpses of Skiles during the playoffs, I have to agree with GrahamC that Scotty has lightened up a lot since he left here. He was not constantly screaming from the sidelines - he actually appeared quite composed and sat some of the time.

I don't know what that means in terms of how long he'll last in Chicago - it's reputed to be a tough place to coach because management likes to have a lot of input on what the team does. Perhaps Paxson has muted that.

One thing I didn't get a feel for was how well Skiles was doing with his handling of the substitutions, which in his case is very indicative. When he was here he substituted quite well in the first halves of games. That started to fall apart in the third quarter and by the end of games he was frozen with panic. Its not a stat that you can look up but while he was here Skiles absolutely never made an unforced substitution during the last five minutes of a game that was remotely close. Yet until that point he'd yank a player with 5 or even 4 fouls to make sure he was available during those last minutes. Absolutely made no sense.

If he's still like that it doesn't bode well for success in the playoffs, which have more games decided in the last few minutes - and one can bet that the Bulls will be looking for success in the playoffs in a year or two.

It's pretty much certain that he'll rub some of the players the wrong way even if he doesn't carry his criticisms of them to the press as he was wont to do here. He is one abrasive person and it would take a complete personality makeover for that to change. Remember Rex Chapman's statement about Skiles, "Even his friends think he's an a$$hole!" Rex was reputedly his best friend at that time.

I have to disagree about Marbury not being a Skiles type of player - that's only about 1/3 true. On the offensive end Marbury fit well with Skiles half court ideas and Marbury was plenty tough. He did fall down in focussing his efforts on defense. The big problem with the team at the time was that we didn't surround Marbs with the kind of offensive players that complemented his game. For some strange reason BC was looking for players that liked to run, while spot up shooters were what was needed. I always thought Skiles should diversify the offense by having a good variety of plays that were options off the early phases of the P&R - though that may not have made a whole lot of difference. But the lack of shooters was murder.

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
I think he will either be their for 3 or the full 4 years. He is the one that turned that mess around by getting the players there and creating a winning team.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The most impressive thing about his performance in Chicago was that Skiles got a fairly young team to play well on defense. The fact that he got anything out of Eddy Curry made him a legitmate coach of the year candidate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan