Hunter compares Beasley to a child.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like Hunter feels Beasley problems can be resolved with coaching. I'm not so sure if he has to be specially nurtured at this stage in his career.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure he's matured some but this is the same guy that changed schools every year in HS because he got kicked out. He got kicked out of Oak Hill because of behavior. There's a famous story that was written about how he took a permanent black marker and signed his "autograph" all over school property. Statues, paintings, anything and everything, some of which was quite old and cherished school property. He was told repeatedly not to do it, and responded by marking up the principals car!

When he enrolled at a new prepschool the next year he said it was because he was concentrating on academics, the recruiting circles still haven't stopped laughing at that one.

So doesn't surprise me at all if he's like a child now.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Beasley or Hunter, but why did Hunter have to go public with this? why not say "next question" or "both teams played hard". What is gained from this?:-/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Beasley or Hunter, but why did Hunter have to go public with this? why not say "next question" or "both teams played hard". What is gained from this?:-/
I don't think Hunter went beyond what any devoted Suns fan doesn't already know. And what any casual Sun fan probably doesn't care about.

All he really said is that different players have to be treated different ways. Some want or need to pushed hard. With others you have to try to build confidence. Just as parents do with their children.

I am thinking that if, in this case, the Coach had evaded the question, everyone would be more uncomfortable. I have a hunch that Beasley understands that because he couldn't succeed at being good (in terms of social behavior), he would be good at being bad.

It is likely that no coach is going to turn him around. The worse part is what we can expect to hear about his behavior after he retires and the millions stop pouring in.

He is a prime candidate to wind up in jail or in an alley somewhere. Whatever Hunter can do for him as a player could also help him as a man. And being honest about it is step 1.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
As I've said all along about Beasley: enough physical talent to be one of the best players in the league, but one of the most mentally weak and distracted players.

I was hoping that Jermaine O'Neal could help him out seeing as he struggled with maturity issues early in his career and eventually became and all-star.

Can't have a Corvette without a working engine.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm sure he's matured some but this is the same guy that changed schools every year in HS because he got kicked out. He got kicked out of Oak Hill because of behavior. There's a famous story that was written about how he took a permanent black marker and signed his "autograph" all over school property. Statues, paintings, anything and everything, some of which was quite old and cherished school property. He was told repeatedly not to do it, and responded by marking up the principals car!

When he enrolled at a new prepschool the next year he said it was because he was concentrating on academics, the recruiting circles still haven't stopped laughing at that one.

So doesn't surprise me at all if he's like a child now.

Wow.

Where did you find all of this information? Especially his escapades in high school.

If you could provide a link, that would be great.

How can this guy being drawing a pay check from the NBA. I think the Phoenix Suns are still part of the NBA, aren't they?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Wow.

Where did you find all of this information? Especially his escapades in high school.

If you could provide a link, that would be great.

How can this guy being drawing a pay check from the NBA. I think the Phoenix Suns are still part of the NBA, aren't they?
I found a long, long article about Beasley's early life leading up to college and the NBA.

If you make it to the 33rd paragraph, it mentions him getting kicked out of 5 high schools, without going into detail.

It is interesting that his boyhood friend is Kevin Durant and look how differently they ended up. And that Beasley's mother was part of his problem, just as with Amar'e.

It is not easy for a kid with a rough upbringing to handle becoming a celebrity and instant millionaire. But it doesn't condone the flaky things he's done, evidently right up to the present time, either.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/10/28/2518352/michael-beasley-lawsuit-agent-benefits-kansas-state

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
amare has handled himself well given his up bringing. any troubles with the law? any troubles with authority (coaches, teammates, etc)?

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Other than constantly trying to reinvent himself (defensive star, fashion mogul... Jewish?!) Amare seems to have his head on as well as you could hope given his bizarre upbringing.

Budden

Registered
Reaction score
Other than constantly trying to reinvent himself (defensive star, fashion mogul... Jewish?!) Amare seems to have his head on as well as you could hope given his bizarre upbringing.

His parents probably have weak cartilage in their knees:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9035257/amare-stoudemire-six-weeks-left-knee-procedure

This is perplexing. I thought he was looking as good physically as he has since that one year period from mid-season 2010 with the Suns to the Melo trade in early 2011. Apparently, you can overcome drug addicted parents in and out of jail, but that microfracture is a death sentence.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Apparently, you can overcome drug addicted parents in and out of jail, but that microfracture is a death sentence.

That's like looking at the low survival results for pancreatic cancer and blaming chemotherapy for the failures. Microfracture is a last-ditch effort to save knees that, by any other rights, are already dead.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake