Hustle and Flow vs....

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
I've been trying to think of a name that properly describes the Spurs' unusual style of play. It's not "tough guy" like the Pistons, it's not finesse and Nashian genius like the Suns, what the hell is it? I think I've found the answer. Courtesy of a poster on ESPN:

i mention the lakers because it took those experiences to prove to the spurs that they didn't have the playoff resolve or the straigh-up legit toughness to win. that's when they adopted a 'kicking, scratching, kick-in-the-balls (literally) girly team' mentality. just do whatever it takes to win. it's not the refs' fault; the spurs' brand has just become their standard.

i used to like the spurs quite a bit (especially in the days of gilmore and gervin, and then robinson, and even duncan early on.). it started going downhill once the girly-style set in and they got players like horry and barry (then again, they did have danny ferry as their stand-out 3-pt ace.).

i'll add more tidbits: the spurs' 'girly-thug' style is vastly different than the pistons' "bad boys" image; the knicks in fact took it to another level altogether. maybe, the spurs could be known as the "bad girls."

buttsR4rebounding

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, when the coaches of all the NBA teams voted for best defensive players Bruce Bowen got the most votes and Tim Duncan was 2nd. It isn't unusual for fans of a great team like the Suns to be frustrated and attribute their own team's lack of success to the refs or some transgression by the prevailing team. As a Spurs fan, I saw it our forums for years when we couldn't get past the Lakers. It wasn't until the Spurs (and Spurs' fans for the most part) stopped blaming the refs that the Spurs play went to the next level. If your team doesn't have the "just do whatever it takes to win" attitude then they will continue to be an excellent regular season team that will exit the playoffs short of an NBA championship. The real problem for the Suns, however, is not that Suns' fans are complaining, it is that their all-NBA center is talking "girly" and their coach is feeding into the perception. This gives a team an excuse to lose and in such fiercely competitive games, sometimes that can be the difference. This is one reason my already great respect for Steve Nash has grown in this series. For the Suns to have a chance they need to take their cues from their MVP point guard and not their crybaby coach or girly center.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
Of course, when the coaches of all the NBA teams voted for best defensive players Bruce Bowen got the most votes and Tim Duncan was 2nd. It isn't unusual for fans of a great team like the Suns to be frustrated and attribute their own team's lack of success to the refs or some transgression by the prevailing team. As a Spurs fan, I saw it our forums for years when we couldn't get past the Lakers. It wasn't until the Spurs (and Spurs' fans for the most part) stopped blaming the refs that the Spurs play went to the next level. If your team doesn't have the "just do whatever it takes to win" attitude then they will continue to be an excellent regular season team that will exit the playoffs short of an NBA championship. The real problem for the Suns, however, is not that Suns' fans are complaining, it is that their all-NBA center is talking "girly" and their coach is feeding into the perception. This gives a team an excuse to lose and in such fiercely competitive games, sometimes that can be the difference. This is one reason my already great respect for Steve Nash has grown in this series. For the Suns to have a chance they need to take their cues from their MVP point guard and not their crybaby coach or girly center.

I wouldn't blame the refs, sure there were a ton of questionable calls last game, but that can definitely be attributed to the refs homecourt bias, which is to be expected. Tim Duncan is a great player and I don't harbor any resentment towards him, or most of the other Spurs. The only Spur that I legitimately hate is Bruce Bowen. That guy is absolute garbage and should've been suspended multiple times by now. I'm cool with the rest of them though.