I Wish We Wouldn't Have Traded Q Now.

Cardinal Red

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wish we wouldnt have traded him in the first place. All I can say is we took a HUGE step down from last year.

mribnik

Reaction score
I'm certainly not missing that 0fer he put up in the last game of the playoffs, nor am I missing his 37% shooting or whatever it was. Q had some great intangibles, but I'd rather have KT anyday. We gained on defense, and added a dimension to our offense with the pick and pop. Q could definately do more than he did last year, but in our system all he was told to do was shoot 3's, and that's a role that can be easily filled IMO. Our offense was more than enough last year. Our defense, especially rebounding, wasn't.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Cardinal Red said:
I wish we wouldnt have traded him in the first place. All I can say is we took a HUGE step down from last year.

That's just not true. We got Kurt Thomas in return for Q--I liked Q, but I am very enthusiastic about Thomas.

scotsman13

Reaction score
i am sorry i think you are wrong. if you look at this team weaknesses from last year i.e. defensive rebounding and post defense those are issues that are much and i do mean much better in those areas. we may not be as explosive as what we were but i dont think we will have any problems scoring points. this team will be a much better defensive team and should be able to make another run a the western conf. finals.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many times did you scream "no" last year when he chucked up a bad three? Q's 3 point accuracy can be replaced and most likely improved. His 3 point attempts can not and that is a good thing. JJ, Nash, and JJ2 were the only ones I was comfortable with whenever they launched the long ball. They always shot in the rhythm of the offense, something Q rarely did.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like Q a lot, but even NOW that we know JJ is gone, I would still do the trade (Q for KT).

I just think we all need to relax and see what other moves the Suns are gonna do. I might be in a large minority here, but I really think that it's not far- fetched to think that Phoenix will be even better than they were last year when it's all said and done.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That's just not true. We got Kurt Thomas in return for Q--I liked Q, but I am very enthusiastic about Thomas.
I keep wondering what we could have got, or kept if we signed and traded JJ to NY and Isiah instead of Q. We would have kept Q, maybe our #21 pick, and gotten KT, too. Maybe even another player.

I know we were supposedly a lock to keep JJ at the time and Q had to go, but in hindsight, projecting the salary quandry JJ was going to put us in, if keeping the cheaper Q would have been a better idea. Unfortunatly, Ginobli ran Q out of town for us with Q's matador defense! :D I think that got him run from the Suns more than the opportunity to get KT. ;)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
I like Q a lot, but even NOW that we know JJ is gone, I would still do the trade (Q for KT).

I just think we all need to relax and see what other moves the Suns are gonna do. I might be in a large minority here, but I really think that it's not far- fetched to think that Phoenix will be even better than they were last year when it's all said and done.
I know you'll take some heat for that post, but I too have a homer view that KT will provide a different way of making us better. Especially if Bell earns the starting role and can slow down the other team's two guards from scoring in the West. Having to play Kobe, Ginobli, etc., a lot, the Bell signing may just be wiser than most see. :thumbup:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
You guys look at his shooting percentage too much. When he was hot, which was often, he would break games wide open for us. He was one of the best SG rebounders in the league and had an attitude about him that was special.

So what he had a couple of bad playoff series in his first taste of them. Duncan struggled for several years in the playoffs before he did anything. This team needed more time together.

Looking back now we could have kept Q and traded and signed and traded JJ for some big man help. We would have only lost one starter and pretty much kept team chemisty the same.

I'm glad we signed some defensive players, but I would rather have Bell as a reserve than a starter. Now I'm not sure how this team will do next year. You hate to blow up a good thing.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
JPlay said:
You guys look at his shooting percentage too much. When he was hot, which was often, he would break games wide open for us. He was one of the best SG rebounders in the league and had an attitude about him that was special.

So what he had a couple of bad playoff series in his first taste of them. Duncan struggled for several years in the playoffs before he did anything. This team needed more time together.

Looking back now we could have kept Q and traded and signed and traded JJ for some big man help. We would have only lost one starter and pretty much kept team chemisty the same.

I'm glad we signed some defensive players, but I would rather have Bell as a reserve than a starter. Now I'm not sure how this team will do next year. You hate to blow up a good thing.

Duncan? As in Tim Duncan?

Are you serious?

I think he won the Championship his second year. :confused:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Duncan? As in Tim Duncan?

Are you serious?

I think he won the Championship his second year. :confused:

Oh yeah he had some guy named David Robinson in a shortened season by his side.

The fact is that he struggled individually in the playoffs for a few years. It takes experience to learn how to compete at that level.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Oh yeah he had some guy named David Robinson in a shortened season by his side.

The fact is that he struggled individually in the playoffs for a few years. It takes experience to learn how to compete at that level.

He was the Finals MVP that year.

Duncan came into the league ready to play.

Bad example.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Sorry I must be remember him getting killed by Utah his rookie year, then over and over by the Lakers.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
Cardinal Red said:

What hurt us last year that needed to be addressed?

-Interior defense
-Interior scoring (other than Amare)
-Toughness
-Better perimeter defense
-A backup for Nash
-Quality depth

Where exactly didn't we make an effort to improve other than the backup for Nash? KT, Raja, Padgett, Diaw (if he makes it), Tischer, Burke, Dijon, are all potentially able to address those issues. If we could sign someone like Dickau, or find someone to bolster the perimeter, we would have improve in exactly the areas that kept us from advancing in the playoffs.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I can clearly remember Duncan being double or triple teamed and being shut down several years in the playoffs. It wasn't until they put shooters around him that they were able to succeed.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I can clearly remember Duncan being double or triple teamed and being shut down several years in the playoffs. It wasn't until they put shooters around him that they were able to succeed.
what does that have to do with him strugling and the team needing more time together?

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
what does that have to do with him strugling and the team needing more time together?

Hmm...maybe that he learned how to pass out of the double team or to put the team on his back in crunch time and make big plays.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
JPlay said:

Maybe you are thinking of the three years the Lakers were in the Finals.

This was from Duncan's second year in the league.

1999 -- Tim Duncan, San Antonio
Averaged 27.4 points, 14.0 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 2.2 blocks to lead the Spurs to a 4-1 victory over the New York Knicks. Duncan scored 31 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the fifth game of the NBA Finals on the road in Madison Square Garden to eliminate the Knicks.

The problem with the Spurs during the Lakers 3-peat wasn't Tim Duncan.

They have won 3 titles during his 8 years in the league.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I'm sure it was once Robinson left and he was being focused on.

SunsPride

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was always a huge fan of Q, when he got signed by the Suns I went crazy and I was also very disappointed to see him leave but I'll still continue to be a fan of him even though he plays for the Knicks.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaplin said:

And we added Raja, I think he will surprise a lot people this year just like Q did last season. We were able to trade for Kurt because of Q, I don't think there was any one else on our roster that would have been able to satisfy Isiah to make that trade, so signing him last season got us a player D'A coveted.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I'm sure it was once Robinson left and he was being focused on.

Yea, they have only won one Championship in the two years since Robinson left.
Duncan sucks. :D

OK I will drop it now.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:

same here.

BTW Q would get streaky and help give the Phoenix Suns large leads. Of course that means that he had even more streaks where he couldn't hit anything. That hurts the team, especially when he keeps rolling up shot after shot.

It does bother me that Isaiah Thomas worked over the Suns for that draft pick, but I would still make that trade again. Kurt Thomas would appear to be a perfect fit for this team.

JPlay, give it up. Just admit you used a poor example.

Joe

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is said that Amare really pushed for the Suns to get KT and Q was the most expendible guy in the starting lineup.

My guess is that the Suns will do almost anything Amare asks for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan