If it's broke, fix it!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Despite Kirk Gibson's aggressive baseball personality, I am shocked and disappointed at his similarity to the passive approach of Bob Melvin as Manager of the D'backs.

Obviously, his haphazard method of building chemistry (or not) among his position players is not working, particularly at 1B and 3B.

I am open to one alternate platoon starting lineup to be used against lefty starters.

But this Abbott & Costello comedy of "Who's on First", for example, or at 3B is just not producing results.

Neither is batting the popup/strikeout tendencies of Chris Young at leadoff, then moving him to fifth for a couple of games, then back to leadoff.

His rationalization of wanting every position player to come to the ballpark ready to play doesn't take into account the deficiencies it causes.

For example, we desperately need a big bat in the middle of the lineup but lately, more often than not, Russell Branyan is on the bench for pinch hitting. He has not delivered one hit in that capacity yet. Obviously, he needs to play regularly to establish and maintain consistency.

I am disappointed also that we have returned to the American League mentality of uppercutting every pitch resulting in popups and strikeouts (throughout the lineup, not just Young) and a sad amount of runners left in scoring position and on-base.

The best chances for success with a round bat vs. a round ball is to swing level and hit it head on.

Right now if I were replacing Gibson as Manager, I would tell my position players that, with the exception of Branyan, if anyone hits a homerun, I'm pulling them from the game. That would make a point!

If every player goes up trying to hit a line drive into the gap in left-center or right-center, or down the LF or RF line, or right back through the middle, the popups and strikeouts would diminish. Also the runners left on base. And our games lost by one run.

Then, when that mentality has been established, stress the best way to hit a HR is to not try. If you see your pitch and can give it a ride, go for it. Otherwise, do not try to hit every ball into the air.

Isn't that common sense? I am so disappointed that Kirk Gibson's approach during his first full season as Manager is so naive. It's broke, Kirk. And, as they say, stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

As under Melvin and Hinch, it is frustrating to watch D'backs games, where too many players have been reduced to bench players and very few come to the park on game day knowing what their role will be.

I believe that the confused situation with our lineup is causing bush league mistakes in the field as well. Last night vs. the Dodgers, two pro's, Johnson and Drew showed that.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The problem is that this team seems to have about 10 players that couldn't even make another major league roster. The gang of stiffs they're rolling out at first is embarrassing.

Bring up the kid from AA and give him a chance. I have a hard time believing he'd be any worse than what they've got going on over there now.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bring up the kid from AA and give him a chance. I have a hard time believing he'd be any worse than what they've got going on over there now.

Him or Brandon Allen. Right now this team is a train wreck, this season is going south real fast.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The problem is that this team seems to have about 10 players that couldn't even make another major league roster. The gang of stiffs they're rolling out at first is embarrassing.

True to an extent... If you look at the starters, I would say this:

- Miggy: Might be a starter elsewhere and would easily be on another roster.

- Miranda: Definitely would not be starting anywhere else and might not be in the majors for any other team as well...

- Branyan: Might not be starting anywhere else, but would be on a roster somewhere else.

- Johnson: Had a pretty damn good year last seaosn that earned him the right to start this year. Would definitely be on anothe roster.

- Drew: Starter anywhere in the league.

- Mora: Would not be starting anywhere else. Might have made a roster elsewhere.

- Roberts: Perfect platoon player. Not a starter but would definitely be on a roster somewhere else.

- Parra: Not a starter but would be on a roster somewhere else.

- Young: Not a starter but would be on a roster somewhere else.

- Upton: A starter anywhere... but, the kid is one of the most frustrating players to have on your team.

- Nady: Not a starter, but would be on a roster elsewhere.

- Kennedy/Hudson/Gallaraga/Saunder: All starters anywhere in the league.

- And the only pitcher in the Pen that I would say shouldn't be in the majors is Demel. The rest of oour Pen is very, very solid.

So - the problem is this:

1.) Chris Young continues to haunt this team.
2.) The lack of a legit on-base % lead-off threat is a killer.
3.) We lack power where you're supposed to have it: First Base and/or Third Base. It also hurts that we don't have any power coming from the Left Field position as well, where, if you don't have the power numbers you better have other forms of production (batting avg, on-base %, OPS, RBI's), which we don't.

Same as it's been for the past 5 years or so... :bang:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why is Branyan on this team? Allen needs to be called up. Also, Miranda shouldn't be on this team either.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Costello: “Who’s on first?”
Gibson: “Yes.”
Costello: “The fellow’s name.”
Gibson: “Who.”
Costello: “The guy on first.”
Gibson: “Well, it might be Branyan or Miranda or Nady,”
Costello: “I don’t know.”
Gibson: “He’s on third.”
Costello: “Who’s on third?”
Gibson: “No, Who’s on first. Mora or Roberts may be on third.”
Costello: “I don’t give a damn.”
Gibson: “Oh, that’s our shortstop.”

Attachments

• Kirk & Lou.doc
    39.5 KB · Views: 1

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Costello: “Who’s on first?”
Gibson: “Yes.”
Costello: “The fellow’s name.”
Gibson: “Who.”
Costello: “The guy on first.”
Gibson: “Well, it might be Branyan or Miranda or Nady,”
Costello: “I don’t know.”
Gibson: “He’s on third.”
Costello: “Who’s on third?”
Gibson: “No, Who’s on first. Mora or Roberts may be on third.”
Costello: “I don’t give a damn.”
Gibson: “Oh, that’s our shortstop.”
Costello: "You suck!"
Gibson: "He's playing center field"

Finished that for you.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Organizational Advocacy appears to still be in full force. Maybe Mr. Hall is the one that needs to go then.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Not one starter was hitting higher than .286 today.... Yet, we still scratch out a W on the back of another incredible outing from one of the dynamic duo of Kennedy-Hudson. Kennedy now has a WHIP of 1.05 and moves to 4 & 1 on the season. There is no doubt in my mind that if we had legit offensive threats at leadoff, 3rd and/or 1st base, this team would be a serious threat to win the West...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Not one starter was hitting higher than .286 today.... Yet, we still scratch out a W on the back of another incredible outing from one of the dynamic duo of Kennedy-Hudson. Kennedy now has a WHIP of 1.05 and moves to 4 & 1 on the season. There is no doubt in my mind that if we had legit offensive threats at leadoff, 3rd and/or 1st base, this team would be a serious threat to win the West...

IF you are correct they should trade for a 3rd baseman and bring up a first. Problem solved.

IMO its crazy the way our pitching sucked in April and our hitting was OK.
In May it is the total opposite.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
True to an extent... If you look at the starters, I would say this:

- Miggy: Might be a starter elsewhere and would easily be on another roster.

- Miranda: Definitely would not be starting anywhere else and might not be in the majors for any other team as well...

- Branyan: Might not be starting anywhere else, but would be on a roster somewhere else.

- Johnson: Had a pretty damn good year last seaosn that earned him the right to start this year. Would definitely be on anothe roster.

- Drew: Starter anywhere in the league.

- Mora: Would not be starting anywhere else. Might have made a roster elsewhere.

- Roberts: Perfect platoon player. Not a starter but would definitely be on a roster somewhere else.

- Parra: Not a starter but would be on a roster somewhere else.

- Young: Not a starter but would be on a roster somewhere else.

- Upton: A starter anywhere... but, the kid is one of the most frustrating players to have on your team.

- Nady: Not a starter, but would be on a roster elsewhere.

- Kennedy/Hudson/Gallaraga/Saunder: All starters anywhere in the league.

- And the only pitcher in the Pen that I would say shouldn't be in the majors is Demel. The rest of oour Pen is very, very solid.

So - the problem is this:

1.) Chris Young continues to haunt this team.
2.) The lack of a legit on-base % lead-off threat is a killer.
3.) We lack power where you're supposed to have it: First Base and/or Third Base. It also hurts that we don't have any power coming from the Left Field position as well, where, if you don't have the power numbers you better have other forms of production (batting avg, on-base %, OPS, RBI's), which we don't.

Same as it's been for the past 5 years or so... :bang:

The only one I disagree with is Chris Young, I think he could be a starter on another team, probably not a good team, but he's not the worst starting outfielder in the majors.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The only one I disagree with is Chris Young, I think he could be a starter on another team, probably not a good team, but he's not the worst starting outfielder in the majors.

Trust me, I would LOVE to see him haunt some other team! ;)

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The lineup changes reaks of Melvyn. I have always believed that you have 7 starters and they know what position their playing and where they are hitting. I never understood asking a player to hit 1st or 2nd and them move him to 5th or 6th. How does he know what to do?? Don't you bat differently depending on where you are in the order??

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The lineup changes reaks of Melvyn. I have always believed that you have 7 starters and they know what position their playing and where they are hitting. I never understood asking a player to hit 1st or 2nd and them move him to 5th or 6th. How does he know what to do?? Don't you bat differently depending on where you are in the order??
Absolutely. Although baseball is not as much a team sport as basketball/hockey/soccer/football (where everyone is moving up or down the field/court at the same time) . . .

Getting comfortable with the players who hit in front of you and behind you in baseball is involved. As is any one of five players (P/C/2B/SS/3B) who may be fielding a ball in the infield to get to the 1B (who may be righty or lefty, tall or short, good fielder or bad). Baseball has its own chemistry.

Your reference to Melvin is a good one. But here is what Kirk Gibson was quoted as saying about playing three different players at 1B in today's AzRepublic/AZCentral.com.

At some point, we want to move on to more of a set rotation.
At some point? That point should have been at the beginning of the season after Spring Training. Or now. At some point?

Despite his aggressive reputation, Gibson has fallen into the same trap as the mild mannered Bob Melvin and AJ Hinch. He is afraid to make a decision, possibly for fear of being wrong.

When three Managers in a row are afraid to make a commitment, the common denominator is . . . the Front Office. And now with a new experienced GM and the same bull$hit going on, the finger points to Managing General Partner Ken Kendricks. The same Ken Kendricks who showed a lack of public respect for a D'backs institution, Gonzo, despite what he thought in private.

What is it about Phoenix that attracts clowns like Kendricks for the D'backs and Sarver for the Suns?

Nothing is going to change the mediocrity on either team until it changes at the top.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The lineup changes reaks of Melvyn.
Wow! Who knew when you and I were comparing Kirk Gibson's managing style to the weak approaches of Melvin and Hinch, that Ken Kendricks and his gang were planning on bringing Melvin back into the Front Office?

Un-freaking-believable!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05