Impose our will against the 9er's.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know all the talk about running the ball, being a more physical team and so on.
However, the 49ers face a huge dilema when they face us.
Q and Fitz
Here are some staggering stats over the last 4 games against San Fran.

Q 27 rec. 398 yds. 3 td's
Fitz 28 rec. 457 yds. 2 td's
total 55 rec. 855 yds 5 td's
Staggering.

We need to make them stop our dynamic duo. They can double both our wr which ,if they do, would open things up for Edge and a potentially huge game from Bryant Johnson.
I think we are going to see some short, ball control passes to our backs and Q in particular that will give him an opportunity to YAC.

Make them stop what we do best....they won't be able to.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Great stats. I think this thread needs a bump.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Not to play devil's advocate here, but shouldn't we post Frank Gore's numbers over that same period of time?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gore vs. Arizona, 2005-2006

Not to play devil's advocate here, but shouldn't we post Frank Gore's numbers over that same period of time?

Sure, here you go!

Code:
		rush	yds	TDs	long	rec	yds	TDs	long
2005 game 1:	 2	 4	0	 4	2	-12	0	 2
(Barlow:	10	45	0	11	3	10	0	 7)
2005 game 2:	 6	22	0	 9	1	31	0	31
2006 game 1:	16	87	2	32	6	83	0	39
2006 game 2:	11	51	2	15	6	35	0	14
Gore Totals:	35	164	4	32	15	137	0	39

4.7 yards per rush and 1 TD per game are pretty good, but 164 total rushing yards in 4 games is pretty feeble. Even his 301 total yards in 4 games is decent, but hardly scary.

...dave

the donald

Reaction score
the only 2 people that scare me this year are boldin and johnson. i think nate will contain fitz(without safety help) leaving boldin and johnson. i think walt harris wil mostly cover boldin(with safety help) but he will still get close to 100 yards+, and i think johnson will eclipse 100 yards, but if we just keep them from scoring on the big plays our GL D should hold it to a FG.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
They will all have a field day if we cannot get to Lienart. Yeah we buffed up our secondary but we need Manny Lawson and Banta Cain to rush the QB and get Lienart to make bad throws. Now with us double teaming and the Cards to run with Edge, we will have to see. I expect our run D to do pretty good, esp rookie Willis at LB, man he has a nose for the ball. Im nervous about this game since it has huge implications on the division (any division game should be a must win)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
the only 2 people that scare me this year are boldin and johnson. i think nate will contain fitz(without safety help) leaving boldin and johnson. i think walt harris wil mostly cover boldin(with safety help) but he will still get close to 100 yards+, and i think johnson will eclipse 100 yards, but if we just keep them from scoring on the big plays our GL D should hold it to a FG.

Nate's good, but he isn't that good. CBs have inherent disadvantages in coverages, because they don't know the play. Unless you are one of the top players (like McAllister), which Nate isn't, then you don't shut down a guy like Fitz one-on-one.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nate's good, but he isn't that good. CBs have inherent disadvantages in coverages, because they don't know the play. Unless you are one of the top players (like McAllister), which Nate isn't, then you don't shut down a guy like Fitz one-on-one.

Nate Clements vs Fitzgerald is gonna be very interesting.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clements is a great CB, but isn't he kinda on the short side? I don't think he matches up well against Fitz at all.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
We'll have to win with Q and Fitz, I don't know what kind of D is going to show up.
I'm just ready for some football!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's dangerous to apply last year's stats to a new season.

- The Niners have added 5 new defensive starters (at NT, ILB, OLB, CB & S)

- Vernon Davis missed one Cardinal game last year

- The Davis/Gore twin threat (Adrian can't cover both at the same time) will make for an interesting defensive challenge.

- We catch the SF offensive line (which has an injury history) in the first game when all these guys are still healthy.

- We've got a better O-line this year.

- The interior of our defense is stouter than previous years.

- Our QB is a year older.

- Our coaching staff knows what it's doing.

Forget the stats. And don't be so eager to talk trash. But don't be "very afraid" either. It should be a helluva game. (And, oh yeah, regardless of outcome, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cards and Niners wound up as the 2 leading competitors for the division title by the end of the season).

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somers blog liked your post too

A indirect response

The 49ers spent a large amount of money this off-season to upgrade their secondary, acquiring cornerback Nate Clements and safety Michael Lewis. That's because they wanted to match up better against teams such as the Cardinals, who tallented receivers.
In the past two years, Fitzgerald and Boldin have alternated having great days against the Niners. Last year, Fitzgerald caught 13 passes for 226 yards and a touchdown. Boldin had eight receptions for 126 yards and a score.
In 2005, Boldin scalded the 49ers with 19 receptions, 272 yards and two scores.
In the last four games, all Cardinals victories, Boldin and Fitzgerald have caught 55 passes for 855 yards and five touchdowns.

the donald

Reaction score

chris mccalister is overrated, he was top notch 3 years ago, but since then he has been good, but ed reed has made him look better than what he is. mccalister can't keep up with quick WRs anymore, nor does he have the speed to match up with faster WRs. i think the corner ranking go #1 bailey, then in a distant 2nd mathis, followed by nate at 3rd.

but nate has all the tools to keep fitz in check, i don't know any logical fan that believes fitz will be held to no catches. but he will be held to 4-6 catches for around 50-60 yards, and maybe a 30 yarder, but no TDs.

pariah said:
Clements is a great CB, but isn't he kinda on the short side? I don't think he matches up well against Fitz at all.

no clements is 6'1-6'2, and 215lbs. but i also think he is faster than fitz, allowing him to sit on the quick routes, and avoid being beat deep.

young tone

Reaction score
I can see Nate cover him but all Fitz needs is a lil time and he will break away (like most receivers do, the secondary can only cover for so long). If Lawson, Cain, Willis, Franklin, or Young, any of them dont get enough pressure, than it will be a long day for our secondary.

the donald

Reaction score
I can see Nate cover him but all Fitz needs is a lil time and he will break away (like most receivers do, the secondary can only cover for so long). If Lawson, Cain, Willis, Franklin, or Young, any of them dont get enough pressure, than it will be a long day for our secondary.

yeah, and if they go into 3wr sets they will regret it. we will have a cover 2 like lineup when they do with mcdonald and sopoaga in at DT, and moore, cain, haralson rotating at DE. and many don't know about mcdonald, but he was so fast off the snap of the ball he was wrongfully called offsides twice in one game. and with lawson, willis, and mike lewis rotating in the LB spots they will be great in coverage.

Stout

Reaction score
yeah, and if they go into 3wr sets they will regret it. we will have a cover 2 like lineup when they do with mcdonald and sopoaga in at DT, and moore, cain, haralson rotating at DE. and many don't know about mcdonald, but he was so fast off the snap of the ball he was wrongfully called offsides twice in one game. and with lawson, willis, and mike lewis rotating in the LB spots they will be great in coverage.

Really? Wow, do I disagree. You will already have matchup problems with Boldin and Fitz alone. If we spread you out even more, you will have that many more problems.

blindseyed

Reaction score
Really? Wow, do I disagree. You will already have matchup problems with Boldin and Fitz alone. If we spread you out even more, you will have that many more problems.

In more ways than one....:shock:

(That last line was just so funny all by itself...lol)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember, they are niners, they are used to being spread out.

blindseyed

Reaction score
You sicko!

The Russian judge, refusing to ignore such a blatantly putrid pun and play on words, goes ahead and awards you 1/5 ;)

I couldn't help it Talking about the 9ers it was just too easy to go there
:biglaugh:

the donald

Reaction score

well when we go into a 3-4 we tend to have problems generating a pass rush. but when we have been put in our nickel package, we have had atleast one player in the backfield almost every play. and if you toss B. Young and mcdonald to the interior, your center won't stand achance to get a good block, and there will be several holding calls. and then it leaves us with being able to zone blitz matt from anywhere.

Stout

Reaction score
well when we go into a 3-4 we tend to have problems generating a pass rush. but when we have been put in our nickel package, we have had atleast one player in the backfield almost every play. and if you toss B. Young and mcdonald to the interior, your center won't stand achance to get a good block, and there will be several holding calls. and then it leaves us with being able to zone blitz matt from anywhere.

Well then, I guess we should just pack it in and call it quits...you've already determined that we won't be able to get a pass off, you will be able to pressure Leinart at will, and our center won't be able to make any blocks.

Oh wait...you mean you're probably overexaggerating? That's it!

young tone

Reaction score

Now what about Spencer? He's been getting burned all preseason, he doesnt look that good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05