In order to get ready for this years draft, lets look at last years

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
This is of course right after last years draft.

2002 Suns Draft Analysis

Posted: July 1, 2002

Talk about mixed reactions. The Suns’ selections of Amare Stoudemire and Casey Jacobsen were both praised and laughed at in the days following the 2002 NBA Draft. Suns.com collected a sampling of opinions, good and bad, from the local and national media.

Arizona Republic, Dan Bickley

“On paper, the Suns get a B+ for their performance in the 2002 draft. Amare Stoudemire is as raw a project as you'll ever find. But he's loaded with physical talent and the Suns have plenty of time on their hands before they can make a realistic run at a Western Conference title. And while hardly a great player, Casey Jacobsen was, as Jerry Colangelo stated, a ‘great pick.’ Given his Pac-10 ties, Jacobsen is a recognizable name in the Valley. He is a blend of Jeff Hornacek and Dan Majerle, both of whom were crowd favorites. He could be the type of player who raises fan interest during the next couple of years.”

Arizona Republic, Pedro Gomez

“This is a draft that can't necessarily be judged right away. The Suns were in need of looking down the road, which is exactly what they did with Amare Stoudemire, the only high school player chosen in Wednesday's NBA draft. At 19, Stoudemire will obviously need time to develop.

“Casey Jacobsen will have a terrific opportunity to win a starting job right away. His ability to shoot from all over the floor makes him a bona fide NBA candidate. I believe this is a draft the Suns will look back at one day and say, "That's when the turnaround truly started."

Basketball News

“The Suns hit a couple of need areas with their pair of first-rounders, grabbing the athletic and imposing Amare Stoudemire at No. 9 and snagging sharp-shooting swingman Casey Jacobsen at 22. Stoudemire has some developing to do — he was the only high schooler drafted — but he’s also got a tremendous upside. Jacobsen provides the outside shooting that the team was lacking last year, and he should find plenty of playing time in the wake of the retirement of Dan Majerle.”

CBS Sportsline, Mike Kahn

"The Suns stunningly went with the lone high school senior in the draft good enough to go this early (at No. 9). Stoudemire is powerful and quick but has to develop a game away from the basket and acclimate himself to the NBA. This says they aren't ready to get back into the playoffs unless they've chosen Stoudemire for somebody else. If Penny Hardaway wanted another example of how the Suns are seeking a shooting guard, this (Casey Jacobsen pick) is it. With Hardaway's legs fading, Jacobsen gives them great shooting range, and has the size to play with anybody in the backcourt. He has to prove he can defend the athletic shooting guards."

CNNSI, Marty Burns

“Amare Stoudemire could be another young Shawn Kemp. Casey Jacobsen could be another Dan Majerle. Then again, there are legitimate concerns that neither has the all-around game needed to thrive in the NBA. But at least they fill needs.”

ESPN, David Aldridge

“I'm not sure I would have gone for the high schooler with Jared Jeffries still on the board... I'm a little surprised also at Casey Jacobsen at 23 ahead of Tayshaun Prince or John Salmons. But the Suns are trying to rebuild on the fly and they need people who can score the ball. Jacobsen can do that. Phoenix is still behind the salary cap eight ball, but the Suns are piecing together some young talent.”

ESPN.com Insider, Chad Ford

“It was a strange draft for the Suns. Stoudemire might be the Antonio McDyess replacement they've pined for the past few years, but he's a long way away. Jacobsen may be the next Thunder Dan, but the Suns backcourt will be awfully crowded with Joe Johnson and Penny Hardaway also back there.

FOX Sports, Mike Monroe

“Last year, Kwame Brown, a player whose body and game are similar to Stoudemire's, was the first player taken in the draft. His struggle with the Wizards last season clearly affected teams as they considered Stoudemire. By the time he was selected Wednesday (No. 9 overall) four high schoolers had been selected last year. The Suns need plenty of help up front, but they'd better not expect to get much from Stoudemire next season, because for all his physical skills he hasn't a clue about how the game is played. He will test new coach Frank Johnson's patience.

“The Suns need help almost everywhere, but they're well set at small forward with Shawn Marion. That means Jacobsen is most likely going to play big guard, though Joe Johnson is ticketed for the starting spot. Jacobsen is a big-time scorer who made 42.7 percent of his college 3-pointers while at Stanford.”

Insidehoops.com

“Amare Stoudemire will be a project, but he's big, strong and can fly like a young Shawn Kemp. Casey Jacobsen can stand outside and hit shots, though the spot he'll be playing is already crowded.”

KPNX-TV (Ch. 12), Tom Zenner

“I don't think you can fully assess this draft until Amare Stoudemire can legally get into a bar. I'm fairly good at judging first impressions and both Stoudemire and Casey Jacobsen are extremely impressive young men. They could not have come from more opposite backgrounds but I think they both are eager to learn and have some pretty good ability. For now I give the Suns a passing grade. If I'm a Suns fan, I think I would allow myself to be somewhat excited about Stoudemire. He's no Kwame Brown or DeSagana Diop, or Yao Ming – which means he won't be a total bust, and in two or three years it could be scary how good he might be. Sure he's had a checkered background but I think that makes him even more impressive – the fact that he's overcome everything thrown his way.

“As for Jacobsen, I think it's impossible for him not to have a 10- to 14-year career in the NBA. He might have some defensive issues right now, but he kind of makes up for it with the fact that he's got so much range on his jumper that the Pentagon is jealous. He won't be a star but he won't be getting cut anytime soon either. Remember, Jud Buechler is still playing in the NBA.

“Do you know how many flat out repugnant jerks permeate the NBA right now? These two young guys are green and raw, but nice and refreshing, and I wish them the best of luck.”

Monter Draft News, Chris Monter

“The Suns got their guys in Stoudemire and Jacobsen. Stoudemire is a strong physical presence who needs to expand his offensive game. Jacobsen added a needed outside threat as starter Penny Hardaway finished last in three-pointers among NBA starting shooting guards. He needs to work on creating his own shots and improve defensively to guard the top athletes on the perimeter.”

NBA.com, Marty Blake

"They're looking for someone who can come in and really bang and that's why they got in Stoudemire. Stoudemire didn't go earlier than I expected because Phoenix really wanted someone who would come out and compete. They wouldn't take Kareem Rush there because they already have Shawn Marion. They also got Jacobsen because they're looking for somebody who can shoot. The last big guard they had was Rex Chapman, from Kentucky and Jacobsen can shoot. We knew he was going to go in the first round. We didn't realize he would go to Phoenix; we thought he might go to New Jersey."

NBADraft.net

“Amare Stoudemire is a big gamble and could reap enormous rewards. But some specimens never work at their games and until he develops some offensive skills, he'll get a few highlight dunks and a whole lot of bench time and frustration.

“Casey Jacobsen benefited from the Maples Trampoline, (their gym is especially springy), along with a great junior year and played the draft perfectly as he found a spot in the first round. Casey has been compared to ‘Thunder Dan’ Majerle, and the Suns hope they've found his replacement. ‘Thunder Casey’ just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? Jacobsen will struggle with the quickness of the NBA and will likely end up a specialty player as a shooter.”

USA Today, Roscoe Nance

"(Stoudemire is a) good pick for a team that's trying to regroup. He'll give them a solid building block for the future. Is (Jacobsen) the second coming of Thunder Dan Majerle? If he is, the Suns are in business."

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how enthusiastic (almost) everyone was about Jacobsen. Wasn't this board pretty aware of his limitations even before he was drafted?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
I'm amazed at how enthusiastic (almost) everyone was about Jacobsen. Wasn't this board pretty aware of his limitations even before he was drafted?

I don't know about that. We were concerned about his defense, but we pretty much knew he wouldn't get a lot of time. I think we were really salivating at his offensive prowess at Standford.