Injured guards could force more shuffling to O-line

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 24, 2005 12:00 AM

The guards who started Sunday in St. Louis watched Wednesday's practice and could miss Sunday's game against Jacksonville.

The Jaguars, by the way, might have the league's best defensive tackle tandem in Marcus Stroud and John Henderson.

Left guard Alex Stepanovich, who also has started at center and right guard, is doubtful with a shoulder injury. Right guard Jeremy Bridges, signed last week, is questionable with an ankle injury.

Playing in their places Wednesday were Adam Haayer at left guard and Fred Wakefield at right guard. Both are more comfortable at tackle.

"It's tough," coach Dennis Green said. "We're extended pretty much. It's a tough week for that, because they (the Jaguars) are very tough and very physical inside."

To help with depth, offensive lineman Shawn Lynch was promoted from the practice squad. Lynch will serve as a backup at both center and guard.To make room for Lynch, tight end Teyo Johnson was released.

Outside linebacker Karlos Dansby didn't practice Wednesday and is questionable because of a groin pull. Defensive end Chike Okeafor missed practice after being poked in the eye Sunday. He's expected to play.

Because of injuries, the Cardinals didn't practice in pads Wednesday.

Time out
An arbitrator ruled that the Eagles were justified in suspending Terrell Owens, but many players in the league, including at least a couple of Cardinals, think the punishment is too severe.

"I think it was an unjust punishment," safety Adrian Wilson said. "With regards to things he did in the past - running his mouth and stuff like that - people do that every day around the NFL. People do worse things around the league than what T.O. did and get suspended for a game and then come back."

Receiver Anquan Boldin thought the arbitrator might lighten Owens' penalty. "I thought they might let him get suspended for a number of games, but not out for the season," Boldin said.

Warner honored
If the Cardinals want to start talking about a contract extension, quarterback Kurt Warner is ready to listen.

"Sure, let's do it now," Warner said. "Why not? I'm ready. I still think we've got a good thing going here. I feel like we're going to get the corner turned at some point."

Warner was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance Sunday in St. Louis.

Warner completed 27 of 39 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns in his first trip back to St. Louis since leaving the Rams after the 2003 season.

It was the Cardinals' first win with Warner as a starter.

Roster moves
The team signed offensive tackle Dante Ellington and tight end Ben Hall to the practice squad.

The 6-foot-6, 330-pound Ellington, 25, has spent time on the Eagles' and Ravens' practice squads. He was released by the Ravens in September.

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound Hall, 23, is a rookie from Clemson. He was released by Tennessee at the end of training camp.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/1123cardsnb1124.html

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe the Jaguars are looking past the Cardinals right now?
If we're lucky the Jags are thinking about next week's game and not this one. The Cards can then suprise them somehow. With a blackjack across the helmet or somethin'.
The Jag D line has potential to make this a really hard game, but their secondary (I hear) is full of questionable talent. Perhaps Warner and Boldin/Fitz can take advantage.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
In case anyone missed it, our top 4 Guards are hurt. I've never heard of such a thing....ever. I hope Bridges at leas makes the game, he played well against St. Louis and we can start:

LT: Big (only starter not to miss a game!)
LG: Haayer
C: Leckey
RG: Bridges
RT: Ross

OUCH!

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our interior is going to get eaten up.

I'd bet this game big if I wasn't a cards fan.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
SuperSpck said:
Maybe the Jaguars are looking past the Cardinals right now?
If we're lucky the Jags are thinking about next week's game and not this one. The Cards can then suprise them somehow. With a blackjack across the helmet or somethin'.
The Jag D line has potential to make this a really hard game, but their secondary (I hear) is full of questionable talent. Perhaps Warner and Boldin/Fitz can take advantage.

Rashean Mathis is one of the best in the game. Also, their pass D is really highly ranked.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Also, their pass D is really highly ranked.
Isn't it #1? When it comes to the passing game, it'll be strength against strength, but the D vs O lines is where the scales are tipped every heavily in the Jags favor.

iapetus

Reaction score
SuperSpck said:

Rashean Mathis is probably one of the best CBs playing in the league right now. Across from him Kenny Wright has been doing a great job for someone who we were expecting very little from. Our pass defence is rated right up there in the top few in the NFL, and it's not all on the D-line - and it's not from playing weak opposition, either. Just ask the Colts.

The Cards have the receivers to challenge that secondary, but it's certainly not the weak point of the team.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
iapetus said:
Rashean Mathis is probably one of the best CBs playing in the league right now. Across from him Kenny Wright has been doing a great job for someone who we were expecting very little from. Our pass defence is rated right up there in the top few in the NFL, and it's not all on the D-line - and it's not from playing weak opposition, either. Just ask the Colts.

The Cards have the receivers to challenge that secondary, but it's certainly not the weak point of the team.

Yeah Rahean is great. The guys who really scare me are Daryl Smith, who is a top young LB IMO, and Mike Peterson. Boy Grant has really changed since his CAR days though, my uncle and I would always comment on his inability as a tackler.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Haayer has played better at LG than Wells did. Wakefield at RG is pretty scary though. As a G, getting low and getting leverage is more important than at T. That is certainly not Fred's strength as an olineman.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
iapetus said:

Playing Tenn, Balt, and Houston the past three weeks is enuf to fatten up almost any defense's stats. Not saying Jax defense isn't very, very good, just that the Cardinals passing offense is much more prolific than those three underachieving offenses and should be more of a challenge.

iapetus

Reaction score
Totally_Red said:
Playing Tenn, Balt, and Houston the past three weeks is enuf to fatten up almost any defense's stats. Not saying Jax defense isn't very, very good, just that the Cardinals passing offense is much more prolific than those three underachieving offenses and should be more of a challenge.

Our pass defence stats were right up there before that stretch, though, including games against the Colts, the Bengals and the Seahawks (all top-ten passing offences). These aren't just padded numbers from our last few games.

See also the Football Outsiders analysis: their figures are all weighted based on the teams being played, and they have our pass defence at #2. Most teams don't even come close - there's a huge drop-off after #3.

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Green said on Monday that he expects Bridges to play.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Isn't it #1? When it comes to the passing game, it'll be strength against strength, but the D vs O lines is where the scales are tipped every heavily in the Jags favor.

Just their pass defence not total D

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
This is one time that I like the idea of having Fred Wakefield and Adam Haayer at the guard spots. Both of them are tall for the position that is true, but they are both fairly strong. Both Jax DTs are tall as well. Stroud is 6-6 and Henderson is 6-7. As long as the Cardinals don't try a power running game up the middle we should do fine.

I love the pickup of tightend Ben Hall. He's a solid blocker and has good hands as well. He's not very fast or shifty but the guy is a bull. He gives great effort. I hope the Cards keep him and let him have some time to devope. I think he will be a solid number two TE.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Dont expect much pass rush from those 2 DT's. They have 1 sack between them. Most of their pass rush comes from the edges and the MLB.

Stoud has also been ailing with a foot injury.

I think our middle 3 will do just fine pass blocking, but struggle run blocking as usual.