Insider 12/8/2005 - Colangelo taking new approach to building Team USA

sunsfn

Reaction score
Updated: Dec. 8, 2005, 11:07 AM ET
Colangelo taking new approach to building Team USA

By Chris Sheridan

Gilbert Arenas is gung ho, Chris Bosh is ready to jump on board, too, and Carmelo Anthony has been interviewed by national team czar Jerry Colangelo about representing the United States at the 2006 World Championship in Japan and the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, ESPN.com has learned.

Colangelo also has met briefly with several players, including Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons, and held longer face-to-face meetings with others to ask for a three-year commitment to the U.S. national team.

Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire and Tim Duncan are also on the short list of players Colangelo would like to add to the team's core, but he has not yet spoken to all of them.

The toughest player to convince could be Duncan, whose parting words for the international basketball federation as he left Athens -- "FIBA sucks" -- indicate his strong unwillingness to ever play in another international competition. Duncan felt the referees treated him unfairly during the Athens Olympics.

If logistics allow, Colangelo plans to speak to as many as 35 players before extending any formal invitations. The first official members of the team probably will not be announced until the All-Star break in mid-February.

"I've met with five players and laid out everything expected of them regarding the commitment, and what's expected of them on and off the court," Colangelo told ESPN.com. "So far, I'm five-for-five with the guys I've spoken to about participating. And some players who were pessimistic in their comments a couple of months ago are now soliciting an invitation."

Paul Pierce, Elton Brand, Wade, Michael Redd, Lamar Odom, Dwight Howard and others have expressed interest -- some publicly, some through back channels -- in playing for USA Basketball as the American federation tries to recover from the humiliation of a bronze-medal finish at the Athens Olympics and a sixth-place showing at the 2002 World Championship.

"Any time your country seeks you out to represent it, it's an honor," Bosh said. "Ever since I saw the Dream Team play in '92 [when he was 8], it was such a big-time thing. It made a big impression on me. They were killing guys."

Bryant has expressed a strong desire to play for the national team after his sexual-assault trial kept him from playing on the 2004 Olympic team, while Jermaine O'Neal said he would like to play again but is uncertain about making a three-year commitment.

O'Neal and LeBron James both said they had not yet spoken to Colangelo.

A few other high-profile stars, including Shaquille O'Neal, Tracy McGrady and Mike Bibby, appear to be off the radar for now. But with Colangelo trying to stock the national team roster with as many as 24 players, he is building in wiggle room for players who might want to play in the World Championship or the Olympics, but not both.

In an effort to rebound from its three losses each in Athens and Indianapolis -- the first ever by U.S. teams using NBA players -- the U.S. federation has moved away from the selection-by-committee process it had used for nearly a decade, giving Colangelo full authority to assemble the roster.

"This is not necessarily going to involve the top guys in terms of talent," Colangelo said. "There's going to be additions, deletions. It'll be a fluid process. This is not a situation where a guy is invited and he's a lock."

Colangelo believes there is only so much room for superstars on the next U.S. team, and he'll attempt to balance the roster with role players who would work well within the team concept and whose specialties would include outside shooting, shot-blocking and man-to-man defending.

He also said there will be one significant change for the next U.S. team from the one that went to Athens: No more entourages.

"When we break camp, we're leaving on a mission. No entourages and no families are heading to the Far East," Colangelo said. "We'll bring families in for the medal round if we make it." Duke's Mike Krzyzewski will coach the U.S. team at the Worlds in Japan next summer and the Olympics in Beijing in 2008, and the assistant coaches will be Mike D'Antoni of the Phoenix Suns, Nate McMillan of the Portland Trail Blazers and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse.

If the Americans fail to win the World Championship next summer, they'll also have to field a team for an Olympic qualifying tournament in 2007.

All three of those teams will train in Las Vegas, which is close to finalizing a three-year deal to become the site of the national team's training camp.

The U.S. team that will compete in Japan will play two exhibitions in China and two others in South Korea, making stops along the way at U.S. military bases to hold practices.

Colangelo said several NBA teams had offered the services of their overseas-based scouts to compile reports on international players, teams and coaches.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sounds like we are really on a mission to prove something. no entourages/family and using nba scouts to scout international players and teams. we might see some ugly games like when the dream team first started.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's about time they start taking this seriously. I like that they'll be scouting the national teams finally so they can be better prepared. It'll still be tough for the guys to become a team and they really need a true PG on the roster. I don't know if JKidd would make a 3 yr commitment (or can be injury free for 3 yrs) so they might have to start looking at some younger players like Luke Ridnour or Kirk Hinrich. Another name that comes to mind is Andre Miller. What the team really needs is Steve Nash, but he's Canadian.

jibikao

Reaction score
The toughest player to convince could be Duncan, whose parting words for the international basketball federation as he left Athens -- "FIBA sucks" -- indicate his strong unwillingness to ever play in another international competition. Duncan felt the referees treated him unfairly during the Athens Olympics.

I am sorry but International refs don't give STAR CALLS. lol I guess Duncan is too used to NBA refs.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for Kobe. This IS the proper way to rehabilitate his image and he is one of the 5 best players in the NBA.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I can also tell you that the Olympic committe is looking to build the largest international scouting database ever. Far from just utilizing other team's scouts, I am talking about massive logging of european games resulting in large video databases as well as massive amount of tendency stats.

They really aren't messing around this time.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I can also tell you that the Olympic committe is looking to build the largest international scouting database ever. Far from just utilizing other team's scouts, I am talking about massive logging of european games resulting in large video databases as well as massive amount of tendency stats.

They really aren't messing around this time.

It's the American way
build empire
kick ass
become complacent
get knocked down
build bigger empire
kick major ass

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
jibikao said:
I am sorry but International refs don't give STAR CALLS. lol I guess Duncan is too used to NBA refs.

Duncan was not complaining about the lack of preferential star treatment. He was complaining about the way the international game was refereed in general versus the way NBA refs make calls. If I remember right, he was most frustrated with the types of fouls he was being called for committing.

jibikao

Reaction score
kaesile said:
Duncan was not complaining about the lack of preferential star treatment. He was complaining about the way the international game was refereed in general versus the way NBA refs make calls. If I remember right, he was most frustrated with the types of fouls he was being called for committing.

Because Duncan does get preffered treatment here in NBA! You don't see that? I have nothing against star treatment because all stars get some kinds of treatment and not just Duncan. Spurs is allowed to play very physically against other teams whereas when we play physically against them, how many fouls did Duncan draw on us? Last night I watched Heat VS Spurs, Wade has his share of star treatment too. And Nash has his share of treatment, mainly traveling in the lane and pushing the defender away when he dribbles.

US team lost because we couldn't adapt to international rules. That doesn't mean "it sucks" as Duncan said (should be "we sucked!"). It just means that we are not better prepared/coached. If you want to prove that you are the #1 basketball team, you need to do it around the world, not just NBA.

We can't have the attitude that we RULE. We don't...not yet. Not in Athens. The "Dream Team" has long gone. How many international players are on Spurs' team?? Parker, Manu, and I believe there's more.

Last edited:

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Treesquid said:
It's the American way
build empire
kick ass
become complacent
get knocked down
build bigger empire
kick major ass

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. :rolleyes:

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Because Duncan does get preffered treatment here in NBA! You don't see that? I have nothing against star treatment because all stars get some kinds of treatment and not just Duncan. Spurs is allowed to play very physically against other teams whereas when we play physically against them, how many fouls did Duncan draw on us? Last night I watched Heat VS Spurs, Wade has his share of star treatment too. And Nash has his share of treatment, mainly traveling in the lane and pushing the defender away when he dribbles.

US team lost because we couldn't adapt to international rules. That doesn't mean "it sucks" as Duncan said (should be "we sucked!"). It just means that we are not better prepared/coached. If you want to prove that you are the #1 basketball team, you need to do it around the world, not just NBA.

We can't have the attitude that we RULE. We don't...not yet. Not in Athens. The "Dream Team" has long gone. How many international players are on Spurs' team?? Parker, Manu, and I believe there's more.

I'm not sure what you're arguing about. All I'm saying is that Duncan was not complaining that the refs weren't treating him like a star. His beef was that the FIBA refs were calling him for a lot of what I guess he considered ticky-tack fouls. The stat I remember was that he was always in foul trouble during the international games, much more so than his performance in a typical NBA game.

Part of that can be considered star treatment, yes. But to make it sound like Tim Duncan was whining that he wasn't being treated right by the refs is ludicrous. He was expressing his frustration that the international game calls fouls differently than the NBA. Nobody can argue with that. Other players have also commented on it. Duncan just gets singled out more because he provided snappy news bites and has said that the officiating is what's going to stop him from playing international ball again.

And not to make it sound like I'm trying to pick a fight, but you make it sound like Duncan only draws foul calls because the refs think he is a superstar. Well, could it be that he is such a gifted offensive player that defenders have trouble defending him without committing fouls? Yeah, maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt sometimes, but there's a reason why it's tough to defend superstars - they are amazing offensive players, and defending them without fouling is difficult. Amare Stoudemire draws even more fouls than Duncan, and a lot of that is just because he is a monster at offense. In fact, Stoudemire has always drawn a lot of fouls, even when he was a rookie, way before anyone even thought he could be mentioned in the same sentence as Tim Duncan.

Going to the point of Kobe Bryant, I think it's great that he's showing the desire to contribute to Team USA. I'm just hoping that he will be able to play within whatever system they decide to use. I don't think any of us can say he's the most coachable player, and part of the reason why the Lakers have been struggling is because Kobe goes one-on-one too much. Yes, the main reason is because the supporting cast sucks, and that Bryant is being forced to jack up shots just to keep the Lakers within the game, but I don't think he's playing within the triangle offense very well yet.

jibikao

Reaction score
kaesile said:
I'm not sure what you're arguing about. All I'm saying is that Duncan was not complaining that the refs weren't treating him like a star. His beef was that the FIBA refs were calling him for a lot of what I guess he considered ticky-tack fouls. The stat I remember was that he was always in foul trouble during the international games, much more so than his performance in a typical NBA game.

Yes, that's exactly what I am talking about. The ticky-tack fouls that Duncan DOES NOT get in NBA. He gets them in Interntional. That frustrates him and that's why he said "FIBA sucks", because he, or other USA players, cannot adapt to internatinoal rules well enough to win games, or they are simply too used to being treated "differently" on the court than those not-so-famous NBA players.

Maybe the refs are tough on US Team. In the articles I read, US Team got booed in almost every single game. Well, you know why that is?? Because we advertised that we are THE BEST basketball team in the world (NBA) but we didn't show that in Athens. And it doesn't help that Bush is ruining the image of America around the world.

Put politics aside, I do think we can win it all if we are well prepared. There will be no "Dream Team" anymore. I don't see us winning on average of +30 point. The world of basketball is improving or else Spurs won't use so many foreign players. :)

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Now that Vlade Divac is retired, I wonder if he will travel overseas and help his country by running flopping drills with the younger players.

scotsman13

Reaction score
personally the players that i think are going to headers are going to be the ones that play the team game. richard hamilton and billups i believe will be on the team.

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Yes, that's exactly what I am talking about. The ticky-tack fouls that Duncan DOES NOT get in NBA. He gets them in Interntional. That frustrates him and that's why he said "FIBA sucks", because he, or other USA players, cannot adapt to internatinoal rules well enough to win games, or they are simply too used to being treated "differently" on the court than those not-so-famous NBA players.

Maybe the refs are tough on US Team. In the articles I read, US Team got booed in almost every single game. Well, you know why that is?? Because we advertised that we are THE BEST basketball team in the world (NBA) but we didn't show that in Athens. And it doesn't help that Bush is ruining the image of America around the world.

Put politics aside, I do think we can win it all if we are well prepared. There will be no "Dream Team" anymore. I don't see us winning on average of +30 point. The world of basketball is improving or else Spurs won't use so many foreign players. :)

Well all right, but I still say that the reason the NBA players were frustrated were because of the different rules, period. They weren't adapting well, as you said. I don't think being famous or not-famous had that much to do with it. An NBA foul is different from a FIBA foul. Star treatment and being famous is irrelevant.

Team USA has not had an average margin of victory of 30 points since the original Dream Team. There was already a sharp decrease in Dream Team II's performance, even though they were still pretty much unchallenged. The US men's basketball national team has been on decline since the first Dream Team, and not just the recent teams. What happened in the World Championships and the Olympics was inevitable.

I think what really happened was that the first Dream Team played too amazingly for the U.S.'s own good. They set an unattainable bar that can never be approached. There is no use in comparing that team's performance to ANY of the other national teams, ever. The international landscape is too different.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
jibikao said:

If anyone will be able to convince Duncan to play it's JC. That cat is a smooth talker.