Is anyone else concerned...

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
...that we didn't bring in any players for individual workouts, meetings, or interviews before the draft? All over the place on the internet I have been reading about players visiting teams, but here nothing. Can anyone put a theory or someting out there why we didn't host anybody? I mean Larry Fitzgerald, Green's supposed Golden Boy, visited the Bolts but not us?

I bring this up because I read a rumor on a UA board that Clarence Farmer has been helping his stock tremendously recently at individual workouts with the 'Boys, Texans, and Titans. I have no clue about the reliability of the source but another poster echoed his sentiments, so take it with a grain of salt. It makes me wonder why we haven't brought in similar mid-to-late round players for interviews and workouts to gain a better judgment of their abilities and mindset.

Link: http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?threadid=16354

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
...that we didn't bring in any players for individual workouts, meetings, or interviews before the draft? All over the place on the internet I have been reading about players visiting teams, but here nothing. Can anyone put a theory or someting out there why we didn't host anybody? I mean Larry Fitzgerald, Green's supposed Golden Boy, visited the Bolts but not us?

I bring this up because I read a rumor on a UA board that Clarence Farmer has been helping his stock tremendously recently at individual workouts with the 'Boys, Texans, and Titans. I have no clue about the reliability of the source but another poster echoed his sentiments. It makes me wonder why we haven't brought in similar mid-to-late round players for interviews and workouts to gain a better judgment of their abilities and mindset.

Link: http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?threadid=16354

The only thing I can think of is that the Cards coaches and scouts are really confident in there draft board right now, from looking at film and prodays and the combine. They may have been able to get in all of there interviews at the combine and prodays.

Plus also there are a lot of other teams that havent had anyone in as well. Also we may have had some poeple in, or some indepth interviews at the combine or proday but they may not have been reported. A lot of teams like to keep there interviews on the down low so they dont tip there hands as to whom they are targeting.

I dont know for sure ao anything just throwing out some ideas as to why we dont here of any interviews for the Cards.

OP
OP
MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm not freaking out about it like some were after we didn't sign anybody twenty minutes into free agency. I was more curious than anything why a policy we had in the past seemed to change this year.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Cards did meet and talk to a lot of these guys at various pro-days and the combine. A private workout doesn't do much imo. These guys are breaking down film on players and making a draft board instead of doing private meetings. Maybe they don't feel it is a time effecient or even necessary step in drafting. DG is a big believer in film breakdowns. Just like they didn't bring in a lot of FAs for meetings. I think there is a change in the teams approach to these things.

If you are interested in some CB in round 4 or 5 and you have a rep as a good drafter like DG has if you bring in that dude other teams will notice and they might get allerted to that player and grab him before you can.

Last edited:

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
As I recall, we took Big over Warren in 2001, based on Warren's interview. It concerns me, when we are picking at #3, and especially if contemplating a trade of the pick. Unless they're confident that they made sufficient contacts at the combine, we should interview. I mean aren't almost all employees interviewed before being hired?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Im sure we did alot of interviewing during the combine.

Also I have read numerous times that Green ahs personaly been at a players workout.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year, the Cards brought in WR Bethel Johnson for a workout and the man wowed them. Every reporter knew it and reporters network with other reporters.

Cards wanted Bethel badly but New England jumped up and grabbed him.

I don't know if that changed Rod Graves' mode of operation but I wouldn't be surprised. Rod analyzes everything.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Last year, the Cards brought in WR Bethel Johnson for a workout and the man wowed them. Every reporter knew it and reporters network with other reporters.

Cards wanted Bethel badly but New England jumped up and grabbed him.

I don't know if that changed Rod Graves' mode of operation but I wouldn't be surprised. Rod analyzes everything.[/QUOTE
Yes that is exactly what I was talking about.
Iirc DG did not bring in people in MIN either for this reason. I mean he doesn't want people on other teams benefitting from his scouting.
Teams are looking for validation for their choices. That is the same reason you don't tell people who you want to draft.

Team A might have a guy rated as their second choice. But if Team B says they want to draft him he moves up a notch. If Team C brings him for private workout and that team has a good drafting record. Well there are 2 other teams sayng this guy is good so Team A might start considering that guy. Drafters love consensus makes them feel safer.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
The Cards did meet and talk to a lot of these guys at various pro-days and the combine. A private workout doesn't do much imo. These guys are breaking down film on players and making a draft board instead of doing private meetings. Maybe they don't feel it is a time effecient or even necessary step in drafting. DG is a big believer in film breakdowns. Just like they didn't bring in a lot of FAs for meetings. I think there is a change in the teams approach to these things.

If you are interested in some CB in round 4 or 5 and you have a rep as a good drafter like DG has if you bring in that dude other teams will notice and they might get allerted to that player and grab him before you can.

Some how I new it had to do with how smart DG is.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else, but I sincerely doubt that Dennis Green has no clue as to who Fitz is, and what he may be capable of doing.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO the key interviews are held at the Senior Bowl, other college all star games, the Indy combine and the college pro day workouts. (and scouting players during the college season and breaking down film).