Jalen Rose tidbit

fordronken

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime_070203-04

Before Eddie Jones and Chris Webber, there was Jalen Rose.

Rose was this season's first prominent buyout case, securing his release from the Knicks in November and choosing Phoenix over Miami and Detroit. Yet he's averaging only 9.3 minutes in 20 games for the Suns, finding it difficult at 34 years old to adapt to Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo system and thus failing to crack his rotation.

This has prompted Rose's new team to make a rather noble pitch. The Suns, according to NBA front-office sources, have offered to help Rose find a new home -- via trade or perhaps even by setting him free to sign elsewhere -- if he came to them with a desire to chase a title somewhere else.

But Rose has rejected those offers to date, sticking to his belief that he'll eventually play meaningful minutes for Phoenix as the playoffs draw closer.

"I'm happy here," Rose says. "Mike and my teammates are and have been great -- and I believe we're going to win it all."

Oh. And one more thing.

"I will be a factor here," Rose said. "Trust me."

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
same here Chap. I just wish we would put him in those times Banks gets in. I know we might be trying to get rid of Banks and he needs to play in order for other teams to see any value there. But come on we screwed up and signed him to a much larger contract than he deserved and he hasn't even come close to performing to those standards so we are kind of stuck with him and his ridiculous contract. I just hope when it does come down to it and we play Jalen in the playoffs, where I think he can really help us, that he has gelled with the team enough through practice.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just wish we would put him in those times Banks gets in.
Agreed.
I know we might be trying to get rid of Banks and he needs to play in order for other teams to see any value there.
Yet his value seems to be decreasing every time he plays. In the last five games he played he is shooting 5-21 (0-5 from 3pt) with 5 assists but none in the last 3 games.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There was message board chatter that they are grooming Jalen in practice to be that backup PG we've been asking for.

And that it could happen soon after the ASG.

All they have to do is teach him how to effectively run the 2 man game with Amare for 15 minutes a game.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Rose needs playing time to get acclimated with the rest of the team

cly2tw

Reaction score
Rose is a very smart offensive player and will be able to contribute anytime. And he seems to have a great attitude about the situation. I'm not worried.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the thought but how realistic is it? The team obviously doesn't think he is going to crack the lineup if they said they would move him. So he thinks one thing and the team thinks the opposite. There is no way he is going to get any minutes come playoff time if he can't crack the lineup during the regular season.

There is not much to criticize this team about this year. However, the bench play has been shallow and D’Antoni's usage of the bench has been horrid. If this team is going to make it to the finals and go deep in the playoffs, we have to have at least 3 legit guys coming off the bench getting consistant minutes IMO.

How does a guy who scores 20 points in at least 2 different games not able to crack the lineup? Our bench has caused some major collapses this year. So how can giving Jalen Rose a shot be any worse? Jalen should be getting minutes with this team. If not, I am sure there are 2 other teams in the West in Dallas and the Spurs that would use him if we give him another buyout.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I was glad to see Jalen has such a great attitude and is willing to help out any way he can even if it is not on the court. I read some other comments of his about how a veteran can help a championship run other ways like leadership and helping guys on the side.

I think it will be tough for Jalen to play. He doesn't cut off dribble penetration very well so he can't really play defense on point guards. He doesn't run the floor very well and he is not really a three point shooter. He is however an excellent mid range shooter and post up player.

I think he could fill in for Boris running the offense from a forward position and could be another offensive option posting up in the playoffs. He doesn't need to shoot from 3 to be effective in the offense but without that range it does effect spacing on the floor.

He should probably work on the 3 from the corner and keep running and running and running. I think he will probably get some chances to help out before the whole thing is said and done.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still think a Rose for Diener deal would make sense. Orlando is not a running team and Grant just went down with an injury.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I think that D'Antnoi knows his system of running and gunning can work and win a title, but in order to take that step from the regular season to the playoffs and win the title, it is going to take players that have played together a lot.
At the start of the season working Amare and Banks into the rotation, and the shooting problems with Junior, caused D'Antoni to avoid bringing Rose into the mix.
Then KT was injured and he was working with Ju Jones.
I think that Rose will be given minutes soon so he can run with this team when the playoffs start.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
Rose for Diener would be a steal. Forget veteran leadership off the bench, I want production on the floor.

Reaction score
Rose for Diener would be a steal. Forget veteran leadership off the bench, I want production on the floor.

i agree with the stakes...although rose posesses vetran leadership. I feel Diener could be very productive in the present and also be groomed for the future...

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it will be tough for Jalen to play. He doesn't cut off dribble penetration very well so he can't really play defense on point guards. He doesn't run the floor very well and he is not really a three point shooter. He is however an excellent mid range shooter and post up player.

I think he could fill in for Boris running the offense from a forward position and could be another offensive option posting up in the playoffs. He doesn't need to shoot from 3 to be effective in the offense but without that range it does effect spacing on the floor.

He should probably work on the 3 from the corner and keep running and running and running. I think he will probably get some chances to help out before the whole thing is said and done.

Rose is also slow and quite selfish with the ball. Other than shooting, he offers us nothing, just like Pietk. I don't understand why either is on this team.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Rose is also slow and quite selfish with the ball. Other than shooting, he offers us nothing, just like Pietk. I don't understand why either is on this team.

I really thought Rose could still play when the suns signed him. At this point we do not know, but hopefully we will find out soon if he can still run a ball club.

The only reason Pietkowski is here, is because the NBA went to a 14 man roster, and the suns signed him because he is apparently a good locker room guy, and in an emergency he can still shoot.

HooverDam

Reaction score
The only reason Pietkowski is here, is because the NBA went to a 14 man roster, and the suns signed him because he is apparently a good locker room guy, and in an emergency he can still shoot.

Thats all well and good, but why sign him to a 2 year deal? Thats just headache inducing. If the team is going to be throwing out 2 year deals, I'd rather have a young guy who might actually develop into something. Heck, I'd rather have Casey Jacobsen than Piatkowski, at least I know he isn't going to die on the court.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Thats all well and good, but why sign him to a 2 year deal? Thats just headache inducing. If the team is going to be throwing out 2 year deals, I'd rather have a young guy who might actually develop into something. Heck, I'd rather have Casey Jacobsen than Piatkowski, at least I know he isn't going to die on the court.

I understand what you are saying.
I am just telling you why he is here.

Every team has to sign someone for that 14th spot, and the suns decided he was the person they wanted to sign. A rookie can not be the 14th player, he would want to play. Piatowski will retire in two years and does not give the team anything except the 14th player in case of an emergency. I am sure he is a good locker room guy and that is important for the 14th player as we all know. Also, the league pays part of his salary, so it is not a bad deal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05