Jamie Winborn

Lomax15

Reaction score
Just listening to KNBR and they are reporting that the 49ers are attempting to trade Jamie Winborn. Granted the Niners probably wouldnt trade within the division, but this guy is a good football player and he is better than anyone we have at MLB. What do you guys think? Also, this really makes them thin at LB this week because J. Peterson is nursing a bad hamstring too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lomax15 said:
Just listening to KNBR and they are reporting that the 49ers are attempting to trade Jamie Winborn. Granted the Niners probably wouldnt trade within the division, but this guy is a good football player and he is better than anyone we have at MLB. What do you guys think? Also, this really makes them thin at LB this week because J. Peterson is nursing a bad hamstring too.

Winborn is good but hes' a lot like LeVar Fisher in that he seems to always get hurt right when he's about to start making a big impact.

Very fast guy.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I thought they would eventually have to do this to wither him or Ulbrich. they have 5 talented guys (Carter, Ulbrich, Winborn, smith, and OPeterson) it just so happens he was the odd man out. If we can trade a 7th why not?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winborn is gone, he's cleared out his locker. Nolan says it's not personaly it's a PT issue, Winborn wants to start, won't, so they're going to trade him.

He's a good player who could help us in the short term but I think he's near the end of his contract.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Winborn is good but hes' a lot like LeVar Fisher in that he seems to always get hurt right when he's about to start making a big impact.

Very fast guy.

I just do not see the Cards trading for anyone at this point in the season. They have little history of making such trades. We are not going to make any playoffs no matter who we might trade for. I think we better figure out just what we have that is worth keeping and start planing for next year. If some decent guy is released or someone on our team gets injured then we might make some move. If the Bidwills hold true to form do not look for any major activity. The most likely move could be a replacement of a coach as the fans are clearly calling for some blood. Any ones will do at the moment just to let them know that management is not brain dead.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:
I just do not see the Cards trading for anyone at this point in the season. They have little history of making such trades. We are not going to make any playoffs no matter who we might trade for. I think we better figure out just what we have that is worth keeping and start planing for next year. If some decent guy is released or someone on our team gets injured then we might make some move. If the Bidwills hold true to form do not look for any major activity. The most likely move could be a replacement of a coach as the fans are clearly calling for some blood. Any ones will do at the moment just to let them know that management is not brain dead.

Well the point is it's pretty likely Winborn will get cut. He already cleared out his locker, he's not going to play for SF again and Nolan said as much too. They want to trade him but I doubt they get offered much of anything. So it's a gamble, offer a #6 or 7 pick and lock him up, or wait, he gets cut, and then you try to claim him. I guarantee teams would show interest and at 0-3 we have to be pretty high on the pecking order.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
So the question you all have to ask yourselves is this.

Do you trade for him and this contract and a late draft pick (No singing Bonus) He just signed an extension by the way:

2005 1750000.00
2006 3000000.00
2007 3000000.00
2008 3000000.00
2009 3000000.00

Or do you let him get released and try to sign him to a different contract possibly fighting with other teams for his services.

I for one do not want his inflated contract that he has right now. He is not worth 3 mill. a year, but then again he does have the potential to be worth 3 mill a year so it may be good to trade a 6th or 7th for him then have the ability to cut him since there is no signing bonus to worry about, and he did have a pretty good year last year.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offer a 7th, IMO. If they reject it, take your chances picking him up in FA.

He's be a solid addition to the LB corps--especially in light of all our injuries.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Offer a 7th, IMO. If they reject it, take your chances picking him up in FA.

He's be a solid addition to the LB corps--especially in light of all our injuries.

he fits our style of LB play, he's a speed player, in the 3-4 the OLB's have to be bigger and he's just not that big.

He did have a fairly serious neck injury a couple of years ago so nobody is going to want his current contract.

I'd bet they have to cut him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the ESPN guys, think it's Clayton, has an article where he says Nolan screwed up by saying all this in public and now Winborn is almost untradeable. Very few teams have the caproom, of those that do, he'd only go to a 4-3 team(too small for 3-4) so there are only a few teams that make any sense. Given they all know he's not coming back to SF, they're just going to wait for them to cut him.

He blasted Nolan's handling of the situation. Winborn and Peterson are good friends so now people are afraid Peterson will want to leave at the end of the year too.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
49ers trade Winborn to Jags

By Roger Phillips, STAFF WRITER

The San Francisco 49ers traded former starting linebacker Jamie Winborn to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday night, ESPN reported.
According to the report, the 49ers are likely to receive an undisclosed 2006 draft choice. Thursday's trade is contingent upon Winborn passing a physical this morning. Two years ago, Winborn suffered a serious neck injury that may draw the scrutiny of the Jaguars' medical staff.

"It's exciting," Winborn, the 49ers' second-round draft choice in 2001, told ESPN when asked about the trade. "It's a new start for me."

Winborn, 26, started the first two games this season for the 49ers but lost his starting job to Andre Carter two weeks ago. Last week, coach Mike Nolan told Winborn to leave the 49ers while the team worked out a trade for him.

Winborn will not have to wait long for a chance to try to show the 49ers they made a mistake by dumping him. The 49ers visit Jacksonville on Dec. 18.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
49ers would have never let him come here.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan