Jeremy Green article on ESPN

Grand Canon

Rookie
Reaction score
Even his own son mocks his dad overselling the team... but still puts a positive spin on it...
I wonder if he is talking about Rod Graves or who in regard to blowing up the organization?????

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Thanks for the article and link. :thumbup:

It is an ESPN insider article. I would post it, but I quit paying for that crap. He basically said that it's all ownership's fault for not blowing up the organization at least once..blah blah blah... Denny Green oversold the program but he have to when you only draw 30,000 fans..

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
It's a waste of time, all he does is point the finger at Bidwill for this season while bringing up Denny's career record and saying he has to overhype the team to sell tickets... Not to mention he is apparantly unaware that the owner's name is Bidwill, not Bidwill. His journalism skills are about on par with his father's coaching skills this year. :rolleyes:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It's just the opening shots of OMG this team is horrible, it's not my fault even though they more or less let me do what I want, it's not my fault.

pffffffffft.

This dosen't suprise me and it'll get worse if we don't start winning, cause DG has got a reputation to protect, in his mind at least.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the relevant part he ranks us in the pretenders section. ANd he spells Bidwill's name wrong, too bad they don't provide an email address to reply to.

• Arizona Cardinals (2-6)
The more things change, the more they stay the same in Arizona. Every season expectations are raised, but at the end of the year, the results are the same. Over the years, the Cardinals have had different team presidents, general managers and head coaches, which leads one to wonder why this franchise is in the midst of another losing season.

1. Ownership: The only thing that has never changed with this franchise is the ownership. Owner Bill Bidwill has to take the brunt of the team's failure this season. Despite losing season after season, Bidwill has never blown up the entire organization. It is hard to believe that the Cardinals have a multitude of key people in the organization who have been there for more than 20 years when the franchise has never consistently fielded a winner. The Bidwells love owning a team in the NFL; however, the problem is that winning is not the priority.

2. The head coach oversold the program: My father, Cardinals head coach Dennis Green, has had a lot of success as a head coach in the NFL. He took the Vikings to the playoffs in eight of his 10 seasons and won more than 100 games in his tenure there. Green spent the majority of the offseason selling how good the program was going to be. You can hardly blame him for that though. When you regularly draw in the 30,000 range for home games, you have to sell the program. This is a case, however, in which it might have been sold too quickly. There is talent on the roster, so the Cardinals might actually be a year away from talking playoffs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other interesting thing in this article if you read the whole thing is where Jeremy Green says part of the reason the Ravens can't run as well this year is they lost their OL coach to the Raiders. That OL coach... Jim Colletto. If you recall, Colletto was the guy Green supposedly wanted as the OC here when he first took the job, but for some reason Colletto chose to stay OL coach for Billick rather than the promotion to OC here. Colletto is now the OL coach for the Raiders.

Pretty interesting we have a guy who near as we can tell turned down a promotion to OC to stay as an OL coach, and then changed jobs to again be an OL coach.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The other interesting thing in this article if you read the whole thing is where Jeremy Green says part of the reason the Ravens can't run as well this year is they lost their OL coach to the Raiders. That OL coach... Jim Colletto. If you recall, Colletto was the guy Green supposedly wanted as the OC here when he first took the job, but for some reason Colletto chose to stay OL coach for Billick rather than the promotion to OC here. Colletto is now the OL coach for the Raiders.

Pretty interesting we have a guy who near as we can tell turned down a promotion to OC to stay as an OL coach, and then changed jobs to again be an OL coach.

Maybe that means he likes what he does and dosen't want to have himself skewered as an OC.

Nothing wrong with avoiding the Peter principle if you can.... :D

We could rename it the Lindsey principle if he keeps his job another few months.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Maybe that means he likes what he does and dosen't want to have himself skewered as an OC.

Nothing wrong with avoiding the Peter principle if you can.... :D

We could rename it the Lindsey principle if he keeps his job another few months.

I actually thought that as I wrote it with respect to Jerry Sullivan here. But Colletto at least HAD aspirations at one time, he was the head coach at Purdue at one point.

but you could be right but if that's the case too bad we couldn't get him to be OUR OL coach?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I actually thought that as I wrote it with respect to Jerry Sullivan here. But Colletto at least HAD aspirations at one time, he was the head coach at Purdue at one point.

Maybe that pushed him into not being a higher up type coach. He saw the hours he had to put in for that type of job, and the weight on their shoulders and decided it wasnt worth it. A lot of coaches feel that way after they get a taste of it, especially family men and older guys.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
2. The head coach oversold the program: My father, Cardinals head coach Dennis Green, has had a lot of success as a head coach in the NFL. He took the Vikings to the playoffs in eight of his 10 seasons and won more than 100 games in his tenure there. Green spent the majority of the offseason selling how good the program was going to be. You can hardly blame him for that though. When you regularly draw in the 30,000 range for home games, you have to sell the program. This is a case, however, in which it might have been sold too quickly. There is talent on the roster, so the Cardinals might actually be a year away from talking playoffs.

The best way to sell a team is to win Jeremy. Therefore your father has not oversold the team, he has undersold it and underachieved.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05