Jermaine ONeal out three games

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If he were Derek Fisher, he'd retire from the Suns, then go join the Heat a month later.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Hope the best for his daughters health of course. The Suns ought to tell him "take as long as you need, including the rest of the year". They need to evaluate the Morris twins at the inside positions, and having a capable player like O'Neal accidentally win them a game or two is the last thing they need.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish the best for Jermaine and family. I hope his daughter does just fine.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I gotta tell you guys that it doesn't feel good to read the comments about Jermaine O'Neal missing three games when all he's done is play his heart out for us, despite his own heart murmur and at a time when his daughter is going in for open heart surgery.

That's the worst side of tanking. "This works out fine for the Suns"?!?

The villain is Sarver and his band of merry men in the Front Office. It is not Jermaine O'Neal.

I wonder how any Dad on this site would react to someone saying, "Your daughter is going in for open heart surgery? That works out fine for ___________."

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
Hoping the best for O'Neal's daughter. Jermaine is a good role fit for the Suns, and I hope he returns.

My prayers are with the O'Neal family during this stressful time.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder how any Dad on this site would react to someone saying, "Your daughter is going in for open heart surgery? That works out fine for ___________."

I am a father and I don't see the offense in what I said. He doesn't need to feel bad or anxious in any way being away from his team. He can focus on his daughter without fear his teammates are struggling without him. His team is not in a critical moment. It would be ok for.him to go in any moment, but right now works just fine. Thats what I was saying.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a father and I don't see the offense in what I said. He doesn't need to feel bad or anxious in any way being away from his team. He can focus on his daughter without fear his teammates are struggling without him. His team is not in a critical moment. It would be ok for.him to go in any moment, but right now works just fine. Thats what I was saying.

I didn't read anything negative into your previous comments. Just the opposite.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score

If someone says that they hope it works out fine, I would think that means they wish my family well and I would be grateful.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If someone says that they hope it works out fine, I would think that means they wish my family well and I would be grateful.
OK, I'll meet you guys half way. I was addressing the "this works out well for the Suns, too" comment. I still consider that disrespectful to Jermaine and to his daughter. Would you say that to his face?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

you may be a father but we don't know if you're a good father or good person in general.
but saying this works out well for the suns since O'neal's daughter is having heart surgery is pretty low.

OK, I'll meet you guys half way. I was addressing the "this works out well for the Suns, too" comment. I still consider that disrespectful to Jermaine and to his daughter. Would you say that to his face?

i'm going to agree with you here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you may be a father but we don't know if you're a good father or good person in general.
but saying this works out well for the suns since O'neal's daughter is having heart surgery is pretty low.

JCSunsfan is a good poster. I have not known him too be insensitive. Perhaps you are guilty of worse my questioning him as a father and as a person over remarks that at worse, could have been said more tactfully.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A little surprised at how many people are misconstruing what JC said. It has nothing to do with O'Neal's daughter. Regardless of the "WHY" of it, not having one of the better Suns players on the floor for a period of time is "good" for the Suns in that it helps them lose. He wasn't referring to the reason for O'Neal's absence at all. Why someone would mistake that is beyond me.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A little surprised at how many people are misconstruing what JC said. It has nothing to do with O'Neal's daughter. Regardless of the "WHY" of it, not having one of the better Suns players on the floor for a period of time is "good" for the Suns in that it helps them lose. He wasn't referring to the reason for O'Neal's absence at all. Why someone would mistake that is beyond me.
The title of JC's thread is "Jermaine O'Neal is out three games." And it continues, "for daughter's open heart surgery." Then, "This works out fine for the Suns too."

That is why I think it was an improper presentation on a board that I, as you guys, spend hours on. And that is why I said so.

I hope our compassion for sports doesn't supersede our compassion for people. And, Chap, I really don't believe that is beyond you. I think better of you.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The title of JC's thread is "Jermaine O'Neal is out three games." And it continues, "for daughter's open heart surgery." Then, "This works out fine for the Suns too."

That is why I think it was an improper presentation on a board that I, as you guys, spend hours on. And that is why I said so.

I hope our compassion for sports doesn't supersede our compassion for people. And, Chap, I really don't believe that is beyond you. I think better of you.

Disagree. I know how you took it but, in context, it was clear to me that his comment was in regards to his thread title. You've been on the internet long enough to know how easy it is to misunderstand or to be misunderstood. AFAIC, you're in the wrong here BC, you've read something into his post that wasn't intended. IMO, you'd be better served to look for a reason to not be offended rather than reacting to an interpretation that was vague at best (or worst). IOW, I'd give JC the benefit of the doubt on this one, just like I'd do if you had posted it.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Disagree. I know how you took it but, in context, it was clear to me that his comment was in regards to his thread title. You've been on the internet long enough to know how easy it is to misunderstand or to be misunderstood. AFAIC, you're in the wrong here BC, you've read something into his post that wasn't intended. IMO, you'd be better served to look for a reason to not be offended rather than reacting to an interpretation that was vague at best (or worst). IOW, I'd give JC the benefit of the doubt on this one, just like I'd do if you had posted it.

Steve
I respect your opinion, Steve. Ironically, when I heard that Channing Frye would be out for the season or perhaps longer due to heart problems, I sympathized with what he was going through.

Then the thought crossed my mind about how it would allow the Suns to play legitimate Centers and Power Forwards, rather than a soft Shooting Guard in a big body. But I wasn't comfortable with the idea of posting it.

After all, every comment we post reflects our own personalities and decisions on how far to go. I don't agree with you that I was 'wrong'. 'Just a different point of view. Which I posted. And I did concede in Post #11, "OK, I'll meet you guys half way."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I respect your opinion, Steve. Ironically, when I heard that Channing Frye would be out for the season or perhaps longer due to heart problems, I sympathized with what he was going through.

Then the thought crossed my mind about how it would allow the Suns to play legitimate Centers and Power Forwards, rather than a soft Shooting Guard in a big body. But I wasn't comfortable with the idea of posting it.

After all, every comment we post reflects our own personalities and decisions on how far to go. I don't agree with you that I was 'wrong'. 'Just a different point of view. Which I posted. And I did concede in Post #11, "OK, I'll meet you guys half way."

I'm not at my best right now so I probably didn't make myself clear. Notice when I said you were wrong that it was AFAIC. IOW, I didn't interpret his post the way you did. But putting that aside, I still felt that even given your interpretation, that it's best to give the poster the benefit of the doubt unless and until you have a reason to do otherwise. I don't think there is a regular on this board that would truly intend to say that this girl's life being in jeopardy is a good thing for us fans.

If your post originally had just been to point out that an innocent comment could come across as callous, I think that would have been met with more support.

Steve

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted what I posted. And then I posted an explanation. My point was that the situation is such that there should be no pressure out of some sort of team loyalty to return. If I was his boss I would have said something like this

"Go, be with your daughter. Take as much time as you need. Family is most important. Don't worry about the team right now. We are not making the playoffs anyway. We'll let some of the young guys get some burn. Come back when it works for you. Now go. Our prayers are with you."

And my job is such that I deal with people in this type of situation all the time. Can't tell you how many hospital waiting rooms I have been in.

Its like I didn't even write the rest of the post. Maybe I should have said "This is OK for the Suns" or "this won't hurt the team right now" instead. But good grief.

"Hope he takes as long as he needs for his family's sake. There is no way he should feel pressured to come back soon."

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I posted what I posted. And then I posted an explanation. My point was that the situation is such that there should be no pressure out of some sort of team loyalty to return. If I was his boss I would have said something like this

"Go, be with your daughter. Take as much time as you need. Family is most important. Don't worry about the team right now. We are not making the playoffs anyway. We'll let some of the young guys get some burn. Come back when it works for you. Now go. Our prayers are with you."

And my job is such that I deal with people in this type of situation all the time. Can't tell you how many hospital waiting rooms I have been in.

Its like I didn't even write the rest of the post. Maybe I should have said "This is OK for the Suns" or "this won't hurt the team right now" instead. But good grief.

"Hope he takes as long as he needs for his family's sake. There is no way he should feel pressured to come back soon."
I reacted mainly to one comment, JC. "This works out fine for the Suns too." It just sounded very callous. If I overreacted, I apologize.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake