Jets trade with Bears!

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jets #4 for #13 #22 and conditional pick that could be a 2nd rounder.

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
WTF? Is this confirmed or what? This could be great news for us - you know the Jets want a receiver! And now #1, another great DL will slip to us and #2, there's no way for us to draft Andre Johnson!!!!

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Unbelievable...Do the Jets think that Andre Johnson will make it to #4? I do...

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's on ESPN now:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1544641

"NEW YORK -- Although a few details remain to be worked out, ESPN.com has learned the New York Jets and Chicago Bears agreed in principle Friday to a trade involving respective first-round draft choices.

New York will move up to the fourth overall spot in the first round and, it is believed, surrendered its two choices later in the round, No. 13 and No. 22, to make the quantum leap up the board. It is not certain yet if Chicago gave up anything else in the deals.

It is not secret the Bears have been shopping their first-round choice, but the team assumed most likely to land it was New England, which wanted to deal up for a shot at Kentucky defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson.

There are no indications of who the Jets want to select at the No. 4 spot. The team has an aging defense and conventional wisdom was that New York would use the draft to bolster that unit.

But the Jets also lost star receiver Laveranues Coles in free agency and could use the fourth overall pick to replace him. Coach Herm Edwards has hinted that the only two wide receivers he considered worthy of first-round status are Charles Rogers of Michigan State and Andre Johnson of Miami, both of whom are thought to be top five prospects"

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I wonder if the Jets would have been willing to do that for the sixth pick if the conditional pick were dropped, or if we threw in a fourth or so.

I think the Bears made out.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
this is BAD BAD news. The Bears would have certainly passed on Suggs. The J-E-T-S probably won't have a shot at Andre Johnson (if he is still there they will select him) because I find it hard to believe that Houston will pass on him. I really think the Jets will take Suggs.

On a side note, didn't the Jets use a lot of the 3-4 last year? I really think they switched to it sometime around midseason last year and their defense really played a lot better after the switch. Could they envision Suggs as the perfect fit for OLB in the 3-4? Now i'm really scared that Suggs will be gone by the time we pick.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdsisquo
this is BAD BAD news. The Bears would have certainly passed on Suggs. The J-E-T-S probably won't have a shot at Andre Johnson (if he is still there they will select him) because I find it hard to believe that Houston will pass on him. I really think the Jets will take Suggs.

On a side note, didn't the Jets use a lot of the 3-4 last year? I really think they switched to it sometime around midseason last year and their defense really played a lot better after the switch. Could they envision Suggs as the perfect fit for OLB in the 3-4? Now i'm really scared that Suggs will be gone by the time we pick.

They will take Robertson. Not Suggs. This is actually good news for the Cards. Suggs and Leftwich will still be there

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Story is confirmed - reported by ESPN Radio - Sal Palantonio who says the Jets are interested in 4 possibilities - Robertson, Newman, Rogers or Johnson.

A new rumor has Detroit opting for Newman over Rogers -which would move the WR's down - that's the reasoning behind Rogers or Johnson dropping to #4.

There is also continued buzz about Houston trading out of #3, so who the hell knows what will transpire? My guess - the top 5 won't change - they'll just be reassigned and re-ordered.

As to what the Bears were thinking - I don't have a clue. MAybe they think Kevin Williams will drop to them at #13. Otherwise, they will have probably traded themselves out of blue chip country.

One thing's become quite apparent - If anyone tells you they can predict what will happen, they're full of cowpies, because the teams themselves are still fielding offers and don't yet know what they'll finally do on draft day.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
The Jets will take Robertson. I played Jets in franchise mode on Madden, and their DTs sucked...bad. They've got Abraham and the other guy (name?) who are both good ends, so Suggs is out of the question. If the jest wanted Johnson then they needed to move to 3 not 4.

The only other option would be Newman, but then Dallas would just take Robertson, which still leaves Suggs and Leftwich to us.

PULL THE FRIGGIN TRIGGER AND TAKE ONE OF THESE GUYS!

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Story is confirmed - reported by ESPN Radio - Sal Palantonio who says the Jets are interested in 4 possibilities - Robertson, Newman, Rogers or Johnson.

A new rumor has Detroit opting for Newman over Rogers -which would move the WR's down - that's the reasoning behind Rogers or Johnson dropping to #4.

There is also continued buzz about Houston trading out of #3, so who the hell knows what will transpire? My guess - the top 5 won't change - they'll just be reassigned and re-ordered.

As to what the Bears were thinking - I don't have a clue. MAybe they think Kevin Williams will drop to them at #13. Otherwise, they will have probably traded themselves out of blue chip country.

One thing's become quite apparent - If anyone tells you they can predict what will happen, they're full of cowpies, because the teams themselves are still fielding offers and don't yet know what they'll finally do on draft day.

Millen is an idiot.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe that means that Robertson will fall to us. Could NE be interested in trading with us?

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by LVCARDFREAK
They will take Robertson. Not Suggs. This is actually good news for the Cards. Suggs and Leftwich will still be there

I think dallas wants a DT too. I personaly think they will take Kennedy but who knows, maybe Robertson is rated higher on their board. So if they really want Robertson and he is taken by the Jets at 4, then who is to say they won't go Suggs? There top 3 choices could be 1) Robestson 2) Suggs 3) Kennedy
If thats the case, we can kiss Suggs goodbeye.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliforniaCard
The Jets will take Robertson. I played Jets in franchise mode on Madden, and their DTs sucked...bad. They've got Abraham and the other guy (name?) who are both good ends, so Suggs is out of the question. If the jest wanted Johnson then they needed to move to 3 not 4.

The only other option would be Newman, but then Dallas would just take Robertson, which still leaves Suggs and Leftwich to us.

PULL THE FRIGGIN TRIGGER AND TAKE ONE OF THESE GUYS!

They've got talented DT's but they gave up 4.6 yards per carry last year which is NOT good.

Weird, on paper they have a much better defense than they actually showed.

ESPN says the reason Detroit is looking at players besides Rogers is leverage on his contract because his agents are the Postons who have a history of being difficult to deal with. The assumption is they're bluffing to scare Rogers into signing before he slips and loses money in the process.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdsisquo
I think dallas wants a DT too. I personaly think they will take Kennedy but who knows, maybe Robertson is rated higher on their board. So if they really want Robertson and he is taken by the Jets at 4, then who is to say they won't go Suggs? There top 3 choices could be 1) Robestson 2) Suggs 3) Kennedy
If thats the case, we can kiss Suggs goodbeye.

I read somehwere that the biggest guy on the Dallas D-line is like 285, and that they want to bulk up not get lighter. The only realistic pick I see them making are one of the DTs, Newman, or possibly Leftwich.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I dont think the pats need Suggs when they signed Colvin...

And I still think Dallas Could shock us all and take Leftwich...

But I tell you what, the draft is starting to look like were gunna get someone good! Be it Leftwich or Suggs, well make out good IMO!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ
I dont think the pats need Suggs when they signed Colvin...

And I still think Dallas Could shock us all and take Leftwich...

Really? You think Parcells will go QB after they just recently drafted Q. Carter, and got Hutchinson?

I don't see Parcells doing that...I think he wants to make his mark soon and go D.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
The rumor I heard was the Jets will trade up to get Robertson.. If Robertson is gone im sure they would take Johnson. That is highly unlikely. Robertson at #4..

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We need Kennedy or Robertson....not Suggs......Kennedy or Robertson

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just read this on ESPN Insider . . .

By Darrell Trimble

The agent for Georgia defensive tackle Jonathan Sullivan has informed the New York times the Jets have acalled to tell his client they were considering moving up in the draft to select him.

The Jets have the 13th pick and would likely have to move up a few slots to ensure they'll be able to secore him. The Jets have been talking with the Minnesota Vikings (No. 7) about swapping picks.

I think the article came out this morning.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by red desert
Just read this on ESPN Insider . . .

By Darrell Trimble

The agent for Georgia defensive tackle Jonathan Sullivan has informed the New York times the Jets have acalled to tell his client they were considering moving up in the draft to select him.

The Jets have the 13th pick and would likely have to move up a few slots to ensure they'll be able to secore him. The Jets have been talking with the Minnesota Vikings (No. 7) about swapping picks.

I think the article came out this morning.

the jets traded 13 and 22 to chicago for 4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05