Jim Fassel...

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
for coach, what do you folks think? That is, if he doesn't take over at Baltimore. I think Fassel, given what we have, would succeed. And sooner rather than later. You folks remember his super year as OC here? That was fun.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I'd be willing to give him a shot. At this point, I'd give almost anyone a shot. The only way someone new comes in soon is if Denny loses the team completely, if we are repeatedly handed our collective ass for the rest of the season or if some scandal arises. For the sake of entertainment, I'd go for option 3.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Renz said:
Will Fassel and Ferentz be given a year-and-a-half to turn the franchise around before they are fired too?

Probably.

Why don't we just re-hire McGinnnis. Re-sign Jake Plummer. We can trade Big and get LJ Shelton back. We can re-sign Anthony Clement, and Ronnie McKinnon. Is Kwamie Lassiter available? If so sign him up to. I heard Adrian Murrell, Larry Centers, AND Garrison Hearst are available, so that solves are backfield problems.
I think Rob Fredrickson is due for a comeback too. We can get Moa Tosi, AND ?.BURKE. We already have Calvin Pace, and Bryant Johnson. All that is left is re-signing Wendell Bryant.

Then we can suck old-school style.

:thumbup:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Renz said:
Will Fassel and Ferentz be given a year-and-a-half to turn the franchise around before they are fired too?

I just love what the guy has done at Iowa and more importantly the way he has done it....

And anyone with "Belichek disciple" on his resume gets a very close look if i am the Cardinals.....

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I just love what the guy has done at Iowa and more importantly the way he has done it....

Yes, the way they choked away that game to Northwestern on Saturday was truly stunning. It was also memorable when they came down here last year and lost to ASU 44-7. :doi:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Fassel was one of the applicants for the HC job after Dave Mac was canned. He turned up totally un-prepared and had a horrible interview with the Cardinals.

Fassel was also brought to Baltimore to 'turn the offense around'. And it has regressed under him.

No thanks on Fassel. And no thanks on a major coaching change after a year and a half.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Fassel was one of the applicants for the HC job after Dave Mac was canned. He turned up totally un-prepared and had a horrible interview with the Cardinals.

Fassel was also brought to Baltimore to 'turn the offense around'. And it has regressed under him.

No thanks on Fassel. And no thanks on a major coaching change after a year and a half.

Yeah, Fassel would generate about as much excitement as a turd in a punch bowl. I'm not sure who I would nominate to take over for Green, but it sure wouldn't be him.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Yeah, Fassel would generate about as much excitement as a turd in a punch bowl. I'm not sure who I would nominate to take over for Green, but it sure wouldn't be him.

Next time you're at a party poop in the punch bowl and I bet that would create plenty of excitment. You might not be invited back, though.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Green gets four years. Lets just hope during that time the O-line gets a few weeks and the QB gets half a season to work together too.

We can't keep rolling the freekin dice every week with changes on the team or every two years with a coach.

It just hasn't worked for our magical two year turn around. Maybe it takes three or four?

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Green gets four years. Lets just hope during that time the O-line gets a few weeks and the QB gets half a season to work together too.

We can't keep rolling the freekin dice every week with changes on the team or every two years with a coach.

It just hasn't worked for our magical two year turn around. Maybe it takes three or four?

It's easy to forget just how little talent this team had 2 years ago. I'm not a huge Green fan but he really inherited a mess here. We've added a bunch of good players and yet we still have some holes in the starting lineup and no depth.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
This team is like a MASH unit. It's very hard to use depth when they are on IR.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Red Desert: Good suggestion. I too was very high on Fass because he did a good job here when he was OC. I still think he's a better than average OC, but I question whether he has the charisma to be the strong motivator the Cards need to shake them out of these duldrums.

Here is a short list of college candidates who might be answers:

Coaches who bring a special talent plus the motivational skills that work with today's athletes:

Bobby Petrino, HC, Louisville (one of the premier offensive minds in the NCAA)

Rich Rodriguez, HC, West Virginia (love the way he coaches QBs to call plays at the l.o.s. in reaction to the defensive alignments).

Frank Beamer, HC, Virginia Tech (might be impossible to lure him away from his alma mater w/o having won a National Championship yet...but this guy is a master preparer...and will win games with special teams better than any coach in the country).

As for pro candidates...here are three to consider:

Sean Payton, OC, Dallas...young, but smart, savvy...the Falcons went young with Jim Mora, Jr. and are not regretting it.

Al Saunders, OC, Kansas City...if Vermeil retires and Saunders isn't tabbed as HC, he'd be a great candidate for the Cardinals.

Tom Moore, OC, Indianapolis...a little on in years, but a brilliant offensive coach who gets the best out the talent he has.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Fassell, the genius behind the Raven's offense?

He was a candidate last time around, but won't be again.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Green

will get one more year. If the record doesn't bring, at least, 50,000 consistently, he'll be moved to a management position with alot of control over payer personel and selection.
My original thought was he'd be gone after this year, but after talking with some other respected folks and friends, I think they're right. He'll get another year. AND rightfully so.
I'm believeing the curse ends when the new stadium opens up for us.
Fassel is a good choice, but he can't do what DG does. These guys haven't quit on him and he's very good at talent selection.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Red Desert: Good suggestion. I too was very high on Fass because he did a good job here when he was OC. I still think he's a better than average OC, but I question whether he has the charisma to be the strong motivator the Cards need to shake them out of these duldrums.

Here is a short list of college candidates who might be answers:

Coaches who bring a special talent plus the motivational skills that work with today's athletes:

Bobby Petrino, HC, Louisville (one of the premier offensive minds in the NCAA)

Rich Rodriguez, HC, West Virginia (love the way he coaches QBs to call plays at the l.o.s. in reaction to the defensive alignments).

Frank Beamer, HC, Virginia Tech (might be impossible to lure him away from his alma mater w/o having won a National Championship yet...but this guy is a master preparer...and will win games with special teams better than any coach in the country).

Now I know you have finally gone off the deep end. Bobby Petrino? Rich Rod? I am the biggest WVU fan you will probably ever meet and I can tell you this. Since Rich Rod has taken over at WVU this team has had one year of underperforming (last year) and they are perrenial some of the most penalized teams int he country. Absolutley no discipine on his teams. Constant personal fouls, thuggery, and general malaise....Oh and about 4 head coaches use the same technique of recalling plays at the LOS, it isnt just Rich Rod....No thanks

Petrino? His defensive philosophy is somewhere between "I dont give a rats ass about stopping the other team" and "whats that position called again that calls the plays on defense?" You get my point! Plus his teams have no heart as witnessed by the complete collapse at Sout Florida and WVU this year....And not that it matters on this baord but this is the same guy who secretly flew to Auburn to interview for the HC job before the AD had even announced they were going to fire Tuberville. Class act he is! :roll:

Man your blind hatred of Green is effectiing you pal!

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:

I had the dubious please of sitting in the press conference. To say he was uninspiring and lacked enthusiam/energy would be way to kind.

It appeared he swaned in expecting to get the job by default and was stunned at the diificulty of the interview. He just didn't seem to be with it at all.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Renz said:

Only if less then half the team ends up injured. Why do the Cards have this many key players out each and every year. I mean really. I understand injuries are part of the game but geeze the backbone of this team ends up out for part or most or all of the season.

Is the problem conditioning? Or the fact that it's so freaking hot at the beginning of the season? Maybe we'll find out next season when they will play home games in air conditioned comfort.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
nidan said:
I had the dubious please of sitting in the press conference. To say he was uninspiring and lacked enthusiam/energy would be way to kind.

It appeared he swaned in expecting to get the job by default and was stunned at the diificulty of the interview. He just didn't seem to be with it at all.

Yeah, I agree, it was really bad. I couldn't believe if you are applying for a HC postion that you could be that badly prepared for the interview and look so totally un-intreasted. It was a complete debacle on his and his agents part.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Now I know you have finally gone off the deep end. Bobby Petrino? Rich Rod? I am the biggest WVU fan you will probably ever meet and I can tell you this. Since Rich Rod has taken over at WVU this team has had one year of underperforming (last year) and they are perrenial some of the most penalized teams int he country. Absolutley no discipine on his teams. Constant personal fouls, thuggery, and general malaise....Oh and about 4 head coaches use the same technique of recalling plays at the LOS, it isnt just Rich Rod....No thanks

Petrino? His defensive philosophy is somewhere between "I dont give a rats ass about stopping the other team" and "whats that position called again that calls the plays on defense?" You get my point! Plus his teams have no heart as witnessed by the complete collapse at Sout Florida and WVU this year....And not that it matters on this baord but this is the same guy who secretly flew to Auburn to interview for the HC job before the AD had even announced they were going to fire Tuberville. Class act he is! :roll:

Man your blind hatred of Green is effectiing you pal!

LMAO! Tell us how you REALLY feel about him... :notworthy

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Yes, the way they choked away that game to Northwestern on Saturday was truly stunning. It was also memorable when they came down here last year and lost to ASU 44-7. :doi:

Excellent points........

and now that Belichek lost 40-21 last night and Charlie Weis choked away that game against USC, i feel their only value to this team might be as coordinators.....possibly

Anyone know if Knute Rockne or Vince Lombardi are available?????:rolleyes:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Walter said something i agree with :shock: . IF Green would be fired after 4 years,i would love Bobby Petrino.