John Clayton: Teams Ready to Turn the Corner

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
In case this hasn't been posted yet, from ESPN's Clayton:

Best way to tell teams on the rise is QB stats:

"(Alex) Smith should turn into a 60-plus percent throwers, as should Matt Leinart of the Cardinals. Leinart completed 56.8 percent of his passes as a rookie, which is exceptional. Rookies normally complete 53.3 percent of his passes. If Leinart can get his percentage into the 60s, Arizona scoring should vault into the 20s and the Cardinals should be an eight- or nine-win team."

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad that becoming a .500 team is "turning the corner" for this franchise.

BigOX

Reaction score
Sad that becoming a .500 team is "turning the corner" for this franchise.

You haven't been a Cardinal fan long enough if you think getting this team to .500 isn't very good and a celebration

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should we be happy about getting to .500? Sure... Celebrate?? Uh, no F'in Way!

I celebrate anytime we are over .500. I was elated after the first game of the season last year. Obviously that didn't last long.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With Norvie gone me thinks Alex will have issues...

Well, it'll say a lot about Smith's ability to learn if he's able to take what he had the chance to learn from Turner's offense and grow from it.

Or he could throw the football at the helmets of his offensive linemen.

Oh wait...

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The upgraded talent on the Niners roster will help Smith alot and I think the Norv factor is a bit over-rated.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
The upgraded talent on the Niners roster will help Smith alot and I think the Norv factor is a bit over-rated.

Is it really that much better on offense?

While Antonio Bryant was a whack job off the field, he was a darn good receiver on it. I think him and Darrrel Jackson are a wash. Ashlie Lelie is not the kind of receiver you get to help a young Qb. I guess Vernon Davis has a year under his belt.

chickenhead

Reaction score
.500 is one game away from an outside shot at the playoffs, so count me as interested.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

While Antonio Bryant was a whack job off the field, he was a darn good receiver on it. I think him and Darrrel Jackson are a wash. Ashlie Lelie is not the kind of receiver you get to help a young Qb. I guess Vernon Davis has a year under his belt.

When you improve all facets of the team, the QB cannot help but be assisted in his development. A very good running game and some ok-pretty good receivers will be good enough to continue Smith's development and I think Norv being gone is not nearly as big a deal as some are suggesting (counting on?)

Add to that what appears to be an improved defense which will filter down an easier task on Smith.

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
In case this hasn't been posted yet, from ESPN's Clayton:

Best way to tell teams on the rise is QB stats:

"(Alex) Smith should turn into a 60-plus percent throwers, as should Matt Leinart of the Cardinals. Leinart completed 56.8 percent of his passes as a rookie, which is exceptional. Rookies normally complete 53.3 percent of his passes. If Leinart can get his percentage into the 60s, Arizona scoring should vault into the 20s and the Cardinals should be an eight- or nine-win team."

Wow - what an incredible fact.

I wonder if he meant to say 'on average'

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Vernon Davis is the next Antonio Gates that will make anybody better.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that Smith will improve much beyond last season. I just don't see him as a very solid QB. I've said it many times, SF couldn't have picked a much worse year to have the #1 overall pick. I think Norv helped him a lot last season, and he still had as many INT's as TD's.