Jonah Williams status?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We all need to keep in mind that the current roster is nowhere near the final version that MOJG envision. Last year this team was thoroughly gutted, and we had practice squad talent starting in many positions. In many ways, this year starts the rebuild. At the very best, we’re a borderline playoff team that won’t last long in the playoffs. The MOJG goal has always been to see sustained improvement and to build
a championship caliber team through solid drafts, solid coaching, solid player development, and putting an emphasis on certain positions over others. And yes, to sprinkle in some free agents to augment. But, IMHO, I don’t think we’ll see a big splash FA signing anytime soon.
Oh, we're now "nowhere near" the final version? So, what, we're looking at a 5-year rebuild? 6? We'll have solid depth by year 3? 4? The goal post moving is getting laughable and the excuse making is incredible. This post makes me think you're already starting to explain why we're going to suck this season, and you'd be perfectly fine with it.

Stout

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing. Because this team doesn't play units on pre-season and it's impossible to evaluate O-line play unless you look at it as a unit. I haven't seen anything to suggest that they are starting material. And I have seen nothing to suggest that they are not.

What we do know is that both are 3rd rounders and drafted there for their potential.
We do know that Gaines early in TC was ahead of Brown in the starting 5, which would indicate that he is close to replace a solid to above average starter. Gaines was by far the best playing overall O-line in the pre-season.

We know that Adams came in as an excellent run blockers, who needed development in pass-blocking and played out of position in his senior year which hurt his draft stock.
We know that Adams struggled in pass-pro on an island against Saints' 1st string in pre-season.
We know that Adams' pff run blocking grade graded as a pro-bowl guard in the pre-season - AND yes I know mostly against back-ups.

My point was that given the famine of O-Line talent in the league, having two IOL with that potential is rare. I guesssing 25% of teams would be forced to play one of them as a starter. I'm guessing the vast majority of teams would have a fringe starter ahead of them, while they develop and slide into the starting line-up by mid-end season (very typical for 3rd-4th rounders on the IOL). Some teams will have a player with potential AND not being forced to move them into the starting line-up. Hardly any have two players like this.
No it isn't. Any team can have no-name backup draft pick IOLmen. That we drafted one backup in the 3rd and one in the 4th (Gaines) and we have no idea if they'll be any good is quite normal.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I know what was said about him, but it's been proven wrong by all his time in the league so far.
When a player only plays for one team he sees only one style of playing the position. The trick is matching a player with the correct coaching philosophy. Look at Hernandez. He was deemed ineffective, but he’s been solid with the Cards. Penning is certainly not a sure thing but he’s available st the right price. I’m not seeing a better gamble. Certainly Beachum is passed his sell date. He might be okay for a series or two, but not a season. Penning maybe be a long shot, but his odds are better than Beachum.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
When a player only plays for one team he sees only one style of playing the position. The trick is matching a player with the correct coaching philosophy. Look at Hernandez. He was deemed ineffective, but he’s been solid with the Cards. Penning is certainly not a sure thing but he’s available st the right price. I’m not seeing a better gamble. Certainly Beachum is passed his sell date. He might be okay for a series or two, but not a season. Penning maybe be a long shot, but his odds are better than Beachum.
Yeah Hernandez has paid off. I remember wanting him in the draft...dude was a stud in college. But his NFL career has been disappointing, especially for his draft position.....but the dude has been playing pro bowl level ball for us....big score

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Is he available? He started at RT last week.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, we're now "nowhere near" the final version? So, what, we're looking at a 5-year rebuild? 6? We'll have solid depth by year 3? 4? The goal post moving is getting laughable and the excuse making is incredible. This post makes me think you're already starting to explain why we're going to suck this season, and you'd be perfectly fine with it.
You’re looking dumber with every word you print. Carry on.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then who are we playing at OT if one of our starters goes down? Colon? We might end up elevating the new guy at a point where whoever we drop down won’t be at risk of being claimed and it will be moot.
I won’t pretend to have all the answers.if I had to start Adams at tackle right now though, there would also be a massive alteration to the play calling. I’d prob put Hernandez or Fro out there before Adams.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep, keep bringing the hate on a positive night. Sorry, you can't bring this guy down. I'm riding high and ignoring your BS. Carry on :)
Is this a football forum or a therapist's office? truly wasting my time and degrading this forum by turning everything into stuff about your emotions.

Nobody cares. Can you post an opinion about the game?

Stout

Reaction score
Is this a football forum or a therapist's office? truly wasting my time and degrading this forum by turning everything into stuff about your emotions.

Nobody cares. Can you post an opinion about the game?
Sorry, you negative Nancys aren't going to bring me down. Because I'm riding high. Because, you know, my emotions are high, since you asked about my emotions. Because we won and crushed the opponent, brother. C'mon, join in the celebration! My opinion is clearly that the team was awesome and I'm riding on cloud 9 tonight.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beachum had the one bad penalty today, but that was pretty much it right?

I didn't watch him every snap to see how he did in pass pro, but I don't remember his name being called much at all. I think he played okay today.
Beachum is a really solid backup. We will be fine with him. It’s what is behind him that I am seriously worried about.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Beachum had the one bad penalty today, but that was pretty much it right?

I didn't watch him every snap to see how he did in pass pro, but I don't remember his name being called much at all. I think he played okay today.

Did you hear Leonard Floyd's name once?

That's your answer.

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
I agree Red on White - north/south is what JC was showing before and after Benson came in to spell him. It was kind of like "hey kid watch this" when he picked up the 1st down after Benson danced for a very short gain. He does have break away speed, but those opportunities aren't too often..... grind it baby!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser