Jose Guillen coming back?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A friend e-mailed me and said that on the sports radio show in New York they mentioned Guillen could be headed to the Diamondbacks. I guess the Reds would want a pitcher. Maybe give them Dessens or Patterson.

piratefan

Pittsburgh Native
Reaction score
And within days, Guillen will return to his sulking ways once he climbs onboard the Brenly-go-round. Guillen has succeeded in Cinci because he has been given the opportunity to play everyday. That will not happen with our master strategist at the helm. On a related note, a friend in Pittsburgh tells me that he hears buzz about a Giles/Kendall deal to AZ for Spivey, Batista, Patterson, one of our catchers, and a minor-league pitching prospect. One of the snags may be getting Pitt to swallow some of Kendall's enormous contract. Adding two .300 hitters who would benefit from a change of scenery couldn't hurt. Just a rumor, but kind of intriguing.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by piratefan
And within days, Guillen will return to his sulking ways once he climbs onboard the Brenly-go-round. Guillen has succeeded in Cinci because he has been given the opportunity to play everyday. That will not happen with our master strategist at the helm. On a related note, a friend in Pittsburgh tells me that he hears buzz about a Giles/Kendall deal to AZ for Spivey, Batista, Patterson, one of our catchers, and a minor-league pitching prospect. One of the snags may be getting Pitt to swallow some of Kendall's enormous contract. Adding two .300 hitters who would benefit from a change of scenery couldn't hurt. Just a rumor, but kind of intriguing.

If I remember correctly, Guillen was also a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates....and was one of their top prospects. Could it be he is just a selfish player?

On that trade....that would be cool!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Giles/Kendall for Spivey/Batista (or is it Bautista?) Patterson/catcher - hmmm I think I would do that....or maybe just Spivey/Patterson and prospect for Giles.

piratefan

Pittsburgh Native
Reaction score
My mistake, it was Bautista. My friend heard that his good friend Reggie Sanders is pulling hard for him and Pitt wants a starting OF to replace Giles and a starting 2B to spell/replace the oft-injured Pokey Reese.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would not make that trade with the Pirates because the Diamondbacks are giving up too much. Don't include Batista and I would do it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mistake, it was Bautista. My friend heard that his good friend Reggie Sanders is pulling hard for him and Pitt wants a starting OF to replace Giles and a starting 2B to spell/replace the oft-injured Pokey Reese.

Then I would do that trade!

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
That trade solves a lot of problems for the D'backs.... hope this is in serious negotiation.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Why is Spivey all of a sudden being mentioned in trade talks??

Geesh, do people really forget that easily?

The guy puts up All-Star numbers in his rookie year... sprains his ankle in his second year... and people are ready to unload him.

Rotisserie minds at their best.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sly fly

The guy puts up All-Star numbers in his rookie year... sprains his ankle in his second year... and people are ready to unload him.

I would be quite happy to keep Junior. However, since we now seem to be blessed with 2B/MIs - it only makes sense to try to trade one to bolster our weakest position - RF
Junior is tradeable/expendable.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
I would be quite happy to keep Junior. However, since we now seem to be blessed with 2B/MIs - it only makes sense to try to trade one to bolster our weakest position - RF
Junior is tradeable/expendable.

But, you can't keepng shedding talent and depth.

Some players you have to hang on to and let them realize their potential... in your uniform.

Why isn't Kata being bandied about? Are you comfortable with Kata in crunch time?

Kendall is injury-prone. Not good news for a catcher.

Chad Moeller (IMO) is a rising star. Why would we need Kendall?

We have Danny Bautista, who has gotten off to a horrendously slow start. But, I'm still high on him. He was arguably the Dbax best player before his shoulder injury. Give him the innings at Right, and I guarantee you his averages/HR will even out.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are more expendable players than Junior. There are fans out there who just don't like him. As for Kata replacing him, I'm not sold on him yet. His aveage has dropped a lot in the last few weeks and the guy is a 270-280 hitter in the minors. I would trade Patterson or Myers before Junior.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, you can't keepng shedding talent and depth.

Some players you have to hang on to and let them realize their potential... in your uniform.

Why isn't Kata being bandied about? Are you comfortable with Kata in crunch time?

Kendall is injury-prone. Not good news for a catcher.

Chad Moeller (IMO) is a rising star. Why would we need Kendall?

We have Danny Bautista, who has gotten off to a horrendously slow start. But, I'm still high on him. He was arguably the Dbax best player before his shoulder injury. Give him the innings at Right, and I guarantee you his averages/HR will even out.

Which average for Bautista are you talking about? The most HR's Danny has ever hit in a season is 11.
Most catchers are injury prone - but Kendall has averaged 136 games a year (which is normal for a catcher) - only missed serious time in one year.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Junior. Kata has shown he can't hit the breaking ball. He along with Hammock need to go back to to Tucson to work on this. That leaves Junior to play 2nd or put him in right field. I don't beleive what the papers said. He did play center last year for a game or two. IF he does go to right field our infield should be Hillebrand 3d, Cousell ss, Cintron 2nd, and Overbay 1st.

I think Overbay needs more consistant at bats than he is getting. Then again batting 8th is where he belongs if his hitting continues the way it's been.

Az240z

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dback Jon
Which average for Bautista are you talking about? The most HR's Danny has ever hit in a season is 11.
Most catchers are injury prone - but Kendall has averaged 136 games a year (which is normal for a catcher) - only missed serious time in one year.

Batting average. HR totals from RF are way overrated.

If you can hit for average, everything else takes care of itself.

Bautista is a player. Above-average defender with an above-average bat. Yes, he has gotten off to a less-than-stellar start (injuries/HR's/average), but you can't give up on players who get off to slow starts.

If Bautista gets his innings, and he stays injury-free come playoff time (hopefully)... you can count on him producing in the playoffs. He's just that type of player.

Maybe I'm the only one that believes in him.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You can't trade excess baggage for serious talent.

Trading Junior makes sense because he's a quality player and the Dbacks do have a number of players that can play second base.

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Guillen is a possibility because he doesn't make much money and isn't signed past this year. He is having a monster year. .339 ave with 19 and 54. He might be a good rent a player if we don't have to give up to much. Elmo, anybody! :)

Reaction score
Put in Kata in that trade scenario, instead of Spivey, and I'd go for that deal. Kata has trouble with breaking pitches, is starting to hit the wall as scouting reports catch up with him, and the D'backs have plenty of depth behind him at the position in the minors - Tim Olson, Scott Hairston, etc. Brian Giles is worth it and Kendall is none too shabby a pickup either (especially if his knees can be spelled by a quality backup like Moeller or Barajas which he did not have in Pittsburgh).

Spivey has gone through the adjustment periods, has proven he can suceed at this level, and is more flexible potentially position-wise. I don't fault him for not wanting to try the outfield in midseason - IMHO, this is not a Durazo situation as Durazo did have offseason work both in the Mexican Leagues and at spring training in RF before last season whereas Spivey has had none. I don't want to see a repeat of the Tony Womack, 1999 Game 5 of the Divisionals again. Next fall, winter, and spring start giving him reps in RF and see what develops. Now if he wants to start complaining then, well...

Now with the present mix. Brenly, if you're reading this, try a couple games at least with an infield of:

Hillenbrand 1b
Spivey 2b
Cintron ss
Counsell 3b

I'd even give D. Bautista another shot in RF - neither Delucci or McCracken have set the world on fire out there. Looked like Danny was getting his stroke back during rehab in Tucson.

Smolder

Veteran
Reaction score

because spivey doesn't hold a candle to brian giles? remember, spivey had ONE good year...and his manager PICKED him. he wasn't exactly there the normal way. giles is the perennial all-star type. he's just about a franchise player. you do not pass up on a chance to get a guy like that.

which is why i think this deal is utterly untrue. if it were legit, then spivey would've been long gone, and the dbacks wouldn't be 8 behind. :cool:

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
If you put Giles in the lineup with Gonzo, Finley and Hillenbrand, no one can get around that middle of the lineup....

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Giles is a great hitter but the only problem with him is he's a lefty. They need a right-handed hitter.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Giles is a great hitter but the only problem with him is he's a lefty. They need a right-handed hitter.

Why do you need a right handed hitter? If the guy can hit the guy can hit! It's not like Brenly would pinch hit a right for him, and if Giles can hit lefty's (don't know his numbers) then it doesn't really matter.

adam

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake