Josh Byrnes May Have Quiet Winter

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compared with his other two off-seasons with the Diamondbacks, General Manager Josh Byrnes' winter could be a quiet one.

Two years ago, he traded Javier Vazquez for Chris Young. Last year, there were deals for Doug Davis and Randy Johnson.

His to-do list doesn't appear to be quite so long heading into the 2008 season. Livan Hernandez will be a free agent and isn't expected to be re-signed. First baseman Tony Clark is also a free agent, and seems likely to be brought back. The Diamondbacks still have more corner infielders and corner outfielders than corners.

So perhaps turning excess into necessity will be a goal this off-season for the Diamondbacks. As for major changes, don't expect them after a 90-win campaign accomplished with a roster that can return largely intact for 2008.

In fact, stability might be a theme this off-season. Following a season that ended in the National League Championship Series, the team's ownership group will likely award a contract extension to Byrnes, who will likely give one to manager Bob Melvin.

Aside from Clark, the position players that Melvin used most of the season are either under contract or under team control for next season. The Diamondbacks anticipate continued improvement.

"We have talented guys that have the ability to get better," Melvin said. "With the experience they're getting here, I think it's the start of something very big for us and we're excited about the future of the Diamondbacks."

The '08 rotation figures to include Brandon Webb, a healthy Johnson, Davis and Micah Owings, who finished with an ERA (4.30) more than half a run better than that of Hernandez (4.93).

The team has several internal candidates for a fifth starter - Edgar Gonzalez, Yusmeiro Petit, Dustin Nippert, not to mention a host of minor leaguers - but Byrnes could try to use his excess of position players to find another arm.

If Clark returns, the team will have four infielders - Conor Jackson, Chad Tracy and Mark Reynolds the others - for two positions. Tracy's microfracture knee surgery could complicate trade scenarios.

In the outfield, Eric Byrnes, Chris Young and Justin Upton appear entrenched, leaving no room for Carlos Quentin or, potentially, prospect Carlos Gonzalez, both of whom could be appealing trade bait.
Good article from AZCentral, I highlighted the key points.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1016dbfill1016.html

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd be willing to trade Quentin & Tracy but not Gonzalez. He will be ready in a couple of years and will replace Byrnes who will be in the last year of his deal.

I think we get a couple of SP's (Schilling & Greinke/Dukes/Willis) and we're set.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Sadly Overseas, when it comes to teams trading for players, 9 chances out of 10 teams are going to ask for Upton first and Gonzalez second.

Truth be told, I'd rather trade neither but sadly it may be one of those necessary evils. As for Upton, I'm thinking it's going to take nothing short of Jake Peavy or Roy Halladay to get Arizona to even consider (not suggesting that either will be dealt, just talking hypothetically). Gonzalez on the other hand, I don't know if the D-Backs will be as reluctant to move.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sadly Overseas, when it comes to teams trading for players, 9 chances out of 10 teams are going to ask for Upton first and Gonzalez second.

Truth be told, I'd rather trade neither but sadly it may be one of those necessary evils. As for Upton, I'm thinking it's going to take nothing short of Jake Peavy or Roy Halladay to get Arizona to even consider (not suggesting that either will be dealt, just talking hypothetically). Gonzalez on the other hand, I don't know if the D-Backs will be as reluctant to move.

If they are going to move him which there really isn't anyone else besides Upton anybody would want we need to get a #2 SP for him.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
I think it's too early to give up on Quentin, especially for a worn out pitcher. I would rather the team try to find another Doug Davis than trade away young talent.

I wouldn't trade Upton for anybody.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05