KJ sparks hometown extreme makeover

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
KJ sparks hometown's extreme makeover

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
May. 1, 2004 12:00 AM

The 40 Acres Complex sits at the cozy core of Oak Park, Sacramento's original suburb.

KJ through the years

1989: Opens St. HOPE as an after-school program in Sacramento.

1993: Helps the Suns to the NBA Finals, where they fall in six games to the Chicago Bulls.

1998: Retires from the Suns.

2000: Returns to the Suns for six regular-season games and nine playoff games largely because of Jason Kidd's broken ankle. Retires again.

2000-01: Works for NBC as an NBA studio analyst.

2001, spring: Joins the Suns' Ring of Honor.

2001, summer: Decides to devote his full-time attention toward St. HOPE.

Weathered voices can tell the stories of the area, a neighborhood of 25 square miles and 20,000 people.

Oak Park was, and is, Kevin Johnson's home.

It is a place where surnames remain on mailboxes for generations. People are as proud as the 19th-century oaks are thick.

The circle of life has returned Johnson to his origins, a base that set his path to fame with the Suns in the 1990s.

Johnson was the point guard who helped bring the Suns to the brink of an NBA title. They fell in six games to Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls in 1993.

Phoenix misses KJ, but Oak Park needed him back.

A freeway, completed in 1961, cut off Oak Park from downtown Sacramento, sending it into economic decline.

In 1989, Johnson began to give back when he started a St. HOPE Academy after-school program after his second NBA season. Now, his non-profit St. HOPE Corp. has revived Oak Park with about $8 million of business projects.

A row of abandoned buildings that attracted drug addicts and prostitutes now is home to the 40 Acres Complex, which includes a renovated 1915 vaudeville theater, bookstore, Starbucks, barber shop, art gallery and 12 loft apartments. A soul food restaurant is on the way. Across an intersection where drivers once feared a red light, there will be the neighborhood's first private pediatric office in a restored 1912 structure.

Nearby is a stately looking bank in what was a rundown building. Down the street, an 1885 Victorian house sits redone for office use.

"It all starts with my grandparents, who taught me at a very young age to always be a good neighbor and help my community," Johnson said. "Growing up in Oak Park, I regularly witnessed friends and family members succumb to the temptations of drugs and violence, and I knew that if I ever had a chance to make a difference, I would."

Johnson is immersed in the transformation, having taken up residence in a three-bedroom house that is less than a mile from his childhood home. He maintains a home in the Valley but visits only briefly, because he believes that Oak Park's revitalization must continue from the inside.

"I'm just so thrilled, happy and hopeful," said pianist Theresa Keene, whose family has been in the area since the mid-1920s, during a break from playing at Underground Books. "It's a blessing to have this here. It's lifting the esteem of the neighborhood. I saw an elderly woman stop in her tracks with tears coming down her face when she saw all this.

"It's incredible what he (Johnson) does in the community instead of buying six cars. His vision is divinely directed."

About $2.8 million in loans came from the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency. Some pleas to private investors were answered quickly, such as the call that got the ball rolling for the city's second-largest Starbucks. It probably did not hurt that Starbucks founder Howard Schultz also owns the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics.

When it came to a $7 million infusion to save Johnson's high school, Bill Gates' foundation put up $3.5 million and said to call again for the next school.

But saving his alma mater, Sacramento High, took more than words and money. Johnson wound up embroiled in a nine-month battle with some area parents and the city teachers union.

Some objected to a faith-based organization, as St. HOPE is, and Johnson's lack of experience in running a school. The teachers objected to the bid to be a charter school, which is non-union, but Johnson prevailed.

Sacramento High's School of Journalism, one of six college-like schools, has a 200-foot hallway lined with Sacramento Bee cover articles on Johnson's fight to gain control of his grandfather's alma mater. It was tough, "far more trying" than watching John Paxson's shot close out the Suns in the 1993 NBA Finals.

"The intensity never wavered," Johnson said.

Now, a 1,600-student campus thrives with $500,000 community partners such as the University of California-Davis Medical Center, an Oak Park neighbor, and the University of Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, which is in Oak Park. St. HOPE also runs a charter elementary school.

"He always said, 'Basketball is not going to define me,' " said Johnson's mother, Georgia West, program director for St. HOPE Foundation, which aids those in need. "He always wanted to do more to help people. He always had this kind of heart. How does this make me feel? Overwhelmed."

West is better known as Mother Rose, a moniker Johnson gave her, in the 40 Acres Complex, where she lives in a loft. She stokes the community spirit, a trait she instilled in Johnson after his father died in a boating accident when KJ was 3.

She is among a group of St. HOPE people, many through Phoenix, closely linked to Johnson. Lori Mills started Johnson's St. HOPE Academy in Phoenix, which is closed, and is executive director of Oak Park Guild Theater.

"He had a very full-fledged vision when he started," Mills said. "It was very comprehensive for a small group, but he always wanted to do it for more."

KJ's brother, Ronnie West, and John Yerger, West's teammate when the two played basketball at Brophy, took a year off from University of California at Berkeley to design and start Underground Books, Oak Park's unofficial library.

Kim Curry-Evans, a Mesa native, was at the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art when she met Johnson after he retired. He convinced her to become director of visual arts for 40 Acres Gallery, already recognized as the city's best after opening in February.

"He picked my brain even back when we met about how he could incorporate art into what they do for kids," Curry-Evans said. "To him, it had to be a cultural mecca."

As for the future, Johnson and St. HOPE will work to ensure that the neighborhood remains a proud reflection of home.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I've been wondering for the past three years what he has been up to. He never came for the Barkley inaugeration, but then they were definitely not pen pals... Guess he has no misses yet, but then that girl playing the piano seemed infatuated with him.

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
It is easy to look up to most basketball stars because of their basketball skills. It looks like KJ is the type of person that you can admire, not only for his basketball skill, but because he is also a great person. He was, and still is a class act. This is the type of player that I would like to see in a suns uniform again, someone with great game, and someone who won't embarrass us off the court.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
frdbtr said:
It is easy to look up to most basketball stars because of their basketball skills. It looks like KJ is the type of person that you can admire, not only for his basketball skill, but because he is also a great person. He was, and still is a class act. This is the type of player that I would like to see in a suns uniform again, someone with great game, and someone who won't embarrass us off the court.

That is true if you don't have a problem with pedophilia.

On the basketball court Kevin Johnson was my favorite Phoenix Suns player ever. Unfortunately he hasn't always been perfect off the court.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
That is true if you don't have a problem with pedophilia.

On the basketball court Kevin Johnson was my favorite Phoenix Suns player ever. Unfortunately he hasn't always been perfect off the court.

Joe Mama

That's if you believe every single thing you read. :rolleyes:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
That's if you believe every single thing you read. :rolleyes:

Come on Chap. It's not like it was some little blurb in the National Enquirer.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama

There was never any proof that this even happened, except for a few articles in the paper. That's not enough proof to me, is it to you? Especially if the article described a capital crime.

Not that I've softened my stance on Jason Kidd, but this is exactly like buying into the fact that the Suns traded him based only on his domestic violence incident. Which you refute, by the way. I'm not going to call you a hypocrite, because Ive known you long enough to give you more credit than that, but...

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
There was never any proof that this even happened, except for a few articles in the paper. That's not enough proof to me, is it to you? Especially if the article described a capital crime.

Not that I've softened my stance on Jason Kidd, but this is exactly like buying into the fact that the Suns traded him based only on his domestic violence incident. Which you refute, by the way. I'm not going to call you a hypocrite, because Ive known you long enough to give you more credit than that, but...

Well, I was convinced that there was at least something inappropriate going on there. I really don't get your comparison at all. Sorry.

Joe Mama

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
From what I've read, he was clearly guilty of poor judgement. Beyond that it's hard to say.

Calling it "pedophilia" is a bit strong in any case, however. Usually that term is used for cases involving actual children, not physically mature young women who happen to be below the age of consent.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
From what I've read, he was clearly guilty of poor judgement. Beyond that it's hard to say.

Calling it "pedophilia" is a bit strong in any case, however. Usually that term is used for cases involving actual children, not physically mature young women who happen to be below the age of consent.

You are right. Technically it would be considered "pedophilia", but it was probably the wrong word to use. It seems to me that he was guilty of more than just poor judgment. His behavior would be at the very least considered inappropriate. There's no doubt he knew better than to get himself into that situation.

Joe Mama

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice article about him.

I wondered also what he was doing now.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

Joe Mama
I never hear of it on tv or paper ever. Only time I hear of it is on here.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It was in the New Times Weekly, which is marginally more credible than the Enquirer. If you go to the New Times web site, it's fairly easy to find the article in the archives.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
The News Times is a very comprehensive small town paper. They go into depth in all their interviews and major articles. When I heard about the news article I ran out to Circle K to find a copy and read it. Would you believe I still have the paper from that day? I was more than disappointed in him. There were too many things in the article that showed a real lack of judgement. However, he did stop before ruining his life and I would not doubt that one of the major reasons he is spending time in Sacramento is because of this part of his life he would rather put behind him....though that is not the top reason. He made a bad mistake, but not a mistake that could not be corrected. Now Kobe made a mistake whether he was right on what he said occurred on that night or whether the young girl was right. You don't fool around if your married or you suffer some really bad consequences.....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Actually the New Times is a national conglomerate, as can be seen at www.newtimes.com. They have eleven different publications throughout the country, all owned and operated by the same large organization. The reporting, I'd imagine, is done locally, but each individual office can't be expected to have any particular ties to its community. That might have been true when the one in Phoenix (the oldest of the group) was first founded, but I wouldn't count on it now.

I'm not questioning the authenticity of their investigation, but it is a little suspicious that no one else ever picked it up. It should have been a major story. Thoroughness is not the same as accuracy -- in fact, often sham articles are disguised with a high level of "detail," such as in the April Fool's Day prank articles in Sports Illustrated (the latest of which ran just last month).

I would imagine that some of the police investigation of Kevin Johnson is a matter of public record, and thus beyond dispute. As far as the testimonials and other "evidence" goes, however, I'd be a bit skeptical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05