Depth Chart:
http://www.panthers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Team Stats:
http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/profile?team=CAR

Injury Report (coming later today):
http://www.nfl.com/injuries?week=8

Quick Breakdown:

Offense:
A quick look at the Panthers on paper would have you scratching your head. Steve Smith, DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Jeff King, Mushin Muhammed, Dwayne Barrett, and a decent looking offensive line. Where is the problem on offense ? Obviously Jake Delhomme is the weak link because the talent is there and the Panthers are not producing. And I will note "What could have been!", because our old pal Josh McCown is a Panther but on I.R., he COULD have been potentially starting against us in this game, but keeping with that idea there is a chance we see AJ Feeley on Sunday.

The Cardinals defense has to play their game on Sunday. The Panthers rely on the run, and if our team shuts it down, it will have to force Carolina to pass, and that is where the Cardinals should have an advantage.

Defense:
Again, if you look at the names on the defensive side of the ball there are some notables. The Panthers should be able to produce a pass rush with Peppers, Brayton, and Carl Evertt. The linebackers are stout but Thomas, and Diggs are banged up. To make things even more screwy, the player who look like a weakness on the team, are a strength. The Panthers are ranked #1 versus the pass.

On offense the Cardinals have to keep doing what they have been doing as of late, and run (at least for the Cardinals) a balance offensive attack. Not to mention if you look at the Panthers game by game, Ryan and Romo had some good day passing agianst the Panthers, so don't be fooled by the #1 pass ranking. Warner should be able to create some plays against the Panthers, but with two backup defensive tackles the Cardinals should run, and run a lot.

My Thoughts through 7 weeks:
Hello NFL, this is the 2009 Arizona Cardinals. We just put the league on notice last Sunday night.

Now, is the next step for the Cardinals. Can they handle the success from last Sunday ? Can they beat a team that, while still dangerous, is hanging on by a thread ? Can they shut up the nay-sayers by showing some dominance that a Super Bowl contender should ?

The Cardinal should stomp the life out of the Panthers. A simple of game plan of shut down the running game of the Panthers, and force them to pass, coupled with getting ahead of the Panthers early and running out the clock should equal a big win for the Cardinals.

Finally the most important thing the Cardinals must realize is that the Panthers are still a talented team, and with the recent success, the fact we are now a top the NFC West it all boils down to whether or not the Cardinals realize................................................

Attachments

• Cardinal Trap.jpg
    Cardinal Trap.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 192

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
I hope the Cards are still not basking in the glory of beating the Giants last Sunday. In the past the Cards would probably lose this week but if this franchise has really turned the corner, we must be focused and send the Panthers back home with their tails between their legs.

This is, on paper, should help us extend our lead in the West, with the Niners having to play the Colts.

This is a week to see if this Cardinal team is in deed maturing and learning what it takes to be successful in the NFL.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think Jon Beason is the most dangerous player on Carolina's defense. He is the Panther's version of Patrick Willis. Hard hitter, great pass rusher and can pick the ball off.

The only pick Kurt threw in the playoff game was to him.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
All-time results:

ARIZONA vs. CAROLINA
RS: Panthers lead series, 6-2
PS: Cardinals lead series, 1-0
1995—Panthers, 27-7 (C)
2001—Cardinals, 30-7 (C)
2002—Cardinals, 16-13 (C)
2003—Panthers, 20-17 (A)
2004—Panthers, 35-10 (C)
2005—Panthers, 24-20 (A)
2007—Panthers, 25-10 (A)
2008—Panthers, 27-23 (C)
*Cardinals, 33-13 (C)
(RS Pts.—Panthers 178, Cardinals 133)
(PS Pts.—Cardinals 33, Panthers 13)​
*NFC Divisional Playoff

Reaction score
because our old pal Josh McCown is a Panther but on I.R., he COULD have been potentially starting against us in this game, but keeping with that idea there is a chance we see AJ Feeley on Sunday.
I was wondering what had happened with Josh McCown; I had heard Carolina was considering starting the back-up QB and I thought about McCown, but didn't find him listed on their depth chart.

Great synopsis and picture, RM!

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
The saints came out very sloppy against the dolphins after their win against the giants and I don't want that to happen to us either.I don't want us to have any funk of anykind.

The saints were lucky to get all the second half gimme's the phins threw at them to come from 3 touchdowns behind since the phins can't throw the ball yet and Tedd Ginn Jr. has speed but drops everything in his hands.

So if our wide recievers are back in form this week and we can sprinkle in some Breaston and Urban I think we can put up some points with our running backs in the redzone again and then put our foot on their necks for the rest of the game.Why not have a panther party in the second half and get the crowd into it?:)

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Muffin: I certainly hope that the players feel at least some of the fear that the fans have about getting caught in the old trap. I want them to be confident, but focused and paying attention to detail. I would love to see us blow them out, but will be extremely happy even with an ugly win.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
Its time we put every facet of our game together in one game.It does'nt matter who we are playing and the history behind it.Just play our game to the best we can and attack them where they are'nt and move the ball and get up early and often and never let up on these guys in the second half.

Then get some of our guys out of the game to rest for the next away game that will be really an East coast time zone game.If I'm not mistaken does'nt Chicago not change like my inlaws in Indiana as far as the time.We fall back an hour here in Florida.They stay the same.

Just something to make our next game more unusual to play.Yet Cutler is starting to break down a little.Although one of his rookie football cards is selling right now for over 2000.00 .He's not done anything and he can get the bear fans to cough up the big dough.Bear fans don't care.They will always put out the money.Pats fans too.Packer fans too.Some teams fans are so cheap they would never buy anything over 10.00.

GOD CAN YOU PLEASE KEEP US HEALTHY THIS WEEK IN OUR GAME? THATS OUR PRAYER TO YOU.:)

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken does'nt Chicago not change like my inlaws in Indiana as far as the time.We fall back an hour here in Florida.They stay the same.

It WAS Indiana that didn't used to observe Daylight Savings Time, but they do now.

I think only Arizona and Hawaii abstain from it these days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan