Kyler Murray Appreciation Thread

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said the one flaw this WR core has is that no one is really a burner like that. MHJ is a long strider. Wilson is a very good route router, but clearly not fast. Dortch is more quick & elusive than anything. Zay Jones is older.

Dudes that can catch most of the tough catches, which fits Kyler’s skillset the best, but really no burners.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I said the one flaw this WR core has is that no one is really a burner like that. MHJ is a long strider. Wilson is a very good route router, but clearly not fast. Dortch is more quick & elusive than anything. Zay Jones is older.

Dudes that can catch most of the tough catches, which fits Kyler’s skillset the best, but really no burners.
You’re saying we need a Rondale Moore type? :devil:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's fair to put this all on the receivers. If the throw comes late in the route or whatever the defender has time to recover. Kyler also could be throwing to covered defenders.
Uh oh chum in the water for a particular group around here lol

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't know if it's fair to put this all on the receivers. If the throw comes late in the route or whatever the defender has time to recover. Kyler also could be throwing to covered defenders.
It says "at the time of the throw".... would be nice to see "at the time of the catch" to go along with it.
Based on this chart he might just be throwing them open or making timing passes before their breaks

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It says "at the time of the throw".... would be nice to see "at the time of the catch" to go along with it.
Based on this chart he might just be throwing them open or making timing passes before their breaks

Yeah. Some of these metrics don't do much for me outside of, like, trivia. This analysis is based on 86 attempts, also, so it's probably pretty noisy.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't really blame Kyler for the loss on Sunday. We shouldn't turn this thread into a rollercoaster of "Kyler is great!" one week and "Kyler sucks!" the next.

He played ok, we could have won the game and probably would have if a few things broke our way.
but, here we are…

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Was thinking something similar. Just no way to know how much of it falls on Kyler though. He could be throwing a bit late after the defender closes the distance a bit and he could also not be targeting the most open receiver consistently.

Doesn't seem like a stat that you would be dead last in without the QB playing some sort of role in it, but how much we have pretty much no way of knowing.

What could be helpful is a stat that tracks the average separation the receivers for every team gets on every passing play (targeted or not). This would remove the QB from the equation.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's kinda a funny chart. I don't know about negative yards of separation. Also, throwing with timing and rhythm creates separation as Wrs separate on their breaks and if the QB throws the ball before their break, the throw itself creates separation for the WR and the QB throwing to an open player.

It actually looks bad for Kyler more than the WRs even if I am not putting a whole lot of stock into it. Basically implies Kyler struggles to read the field and find open WRs.

A highlight to this is Andy Dalton vs Bryce Young. Based upon this chart, it would seem that Bryce Young throws to open players 63% of the time but his WRs don't create separation. But Andy Dalton is throwing to the same WRs who magically create more separation when he is playing QB, and he throws to open WRs 6% more often.
Does nobody read my posts? lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What could be helpful is a stat that tracks the average separation the receivers for every team gets on every passing play (targeted or not). This would remove the QB from the equation.
That's dynamic, though. Rondale Moore had crazy separation metrics because he got like 80% of his targets behind the LOS. I'm 100% sure most if not all NFL teams are running numbers like this, but it's a broad array of metrics that are useful.

How open are guys after 3 seconds? How often is the QB throwing to the receiver with the most separation on a play?

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why they don’t roll kyler out 8-10 times a game. Was unreal when they at least seemingly had that as a consistent play vs the rams (often play action roll out). It just seems to easy - what I am missing here ?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake