LaBoy, MIA.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Did our big $ FA even play against the Pathers? I thought he was active, but he must not have gone because he doesn't have a single stat from Saturday.

I hope that he didn't re-aggrevaite anything and that he will be able to bring a little something-something to McNabb's retirement party...

GO BIG RED!!!!!

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah he didnt play all that much, neither did Berry for that matter because we used more 4 down line sets more then anything else. After coming off a week of limited practices again he was again limited in the game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did our big $ FA even play against the Pathers? I thought he was active, but he must not have gone because he doesn't have a single stat from Saturday.

I hope that he didn't re-aggrevaite anything and that he will be able to bring a little something-something to McNabb's retirement party...

GO BIG RED!!!!!

I want our defense to do exactly what we have been doing the past 2 games. If that means little to no LaBoy. I'm ok with that.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was going to post the same thing. I saw Berry in there and he even had a sack. The only place I saw LaBoy was on the sideline.

When healthy he can really contribute. Last plays I remember him making were against Dallas.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some of the lineups that surprised me from last week's game featured Bryan Robinson at DE in a 4-3 and sometimes as a "contain end" in a two-point stance.

I haven't actually counted up how many different defensive lineups the cards use, but here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head:

3 down linemen:

E/Dockett NT/Watson E/Smith
E/Robinson NT/Dockett E/Berry
E/Berry NT/Dockett E/Smith
E/Dockett NT/Robinson E/Smith

The 4 down sets can be even more complex. In last weeks' game Campbell, Iwebema, Dockett, Berry, Robinson, Okeafor, Hayes (yup), LaBoy, and Smith all spent at least one play in a three points stance on the line.

If you're trying to prepare, are there even any personnel tendencies to find?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Call it the Wild Card Defense...

You never know what it's going to be!

Here's some captures of the different looks the Cards used. Now this is only the First Quarter! So it's pretty crazy to think they still had a lot left to show. Talk about a preparation nightmare.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
NIcely done - those are awesome. Top looks like a base 3-4. Next looks like a dime package, with 3 linemen and wilson playing LB?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NIcely done - those are awesome. Top looks like a base 3-4. Next looks like a dime package, with 3 linemen and wilson playing LB?

I should have charted the bases, but I was working on something else at the same time and didn't.

When Watson's on the field they run a 3-4 a lot more then 4-3, but not enough to make it predictable.

In the first quarter as a whole they ran a lot of exotic looks but most of the time it involved having 5 men on or very near the LOS.

You're right that the top is a 3-4 base.

The second one is a 2-4-5, with Okeafor rushing from the 9 in a 2-point stance.

The third is a modified formation. Note that Okeafor and Hayes are playing OLB and Dansby and Biesel (sp) are ILB's. In fact in the game audio you can hear Delhomme saying "check check, 52 is MIKE!".

The fourth is a 3-4 with new personel, and the fifth is a 4-3 with Laboy on the Edge and Okeafor playing SAM.

The sixth is interesting. It's a 4-3 but Robinson is in a two-point stance. I wouldn't go so far as to call him WILL, but it's wonderful that a guy who's been the team's NT for most of the season has the ability to play standing up (although limitedly).

The final capture is a tight 3-4 with Robinson again on the weakside.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good stuff. Just don't share this with the Feables.

Heh. I'm thinking that professional coaches already looked at this kinda stuff.
At least, they should.

Besides while I haven't confirmed it yet, I think some of the more exotic packages brought out for ATL and CAR were designed to stop their amazing rushing games.

The Eagles provide a much different challenge and I expect we're going to see a bunch of new stuff for it.

What we can expect is more crazy packages though. I've never seen a team use DT's, DE's, and LB's as interchangeably as the Cards do. It's awesome.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Heh. I'm thinking that professional coaches already looked at this kinda stuff.
At least, they should.

Besides while I haven't confirmed it yet, I think some of the more exotic packages brought out for ATL and CAR were designed to stop their amazing rushing games.

The Eagles provide a much different challenge and I expect we're going to see a bunch of new stuff for it.

What we can expect is more crazy packages though. I've never seen a team use DT's, DE's, and LB's as interchangeably as the Cards do. It's awesome.
I agree, the Eagles are not the power runner's our last two games were. We are going to have to change things up for the Eagles.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
I agree, the Eagles are not the power runner's our last two games were. We are going to have to change things up for the Eagles.
Agreed! Westbrook is much more of a receiving back. We might try to eliminate screen passes to him. Maybe have a safety or LB to spy on him?:shrug:

Reaction score
Agreed! Westbrook is much more of a receiving back. We might try to eliminate screen passes to him. Maybe have a safety or LB to spy on him?:shrug:
Wilson on run downs, Hood or Brown on pass plays.

Philadelphia will have to win without Westbrook. I don't think they can.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's some captures of the different looks the Cards used. Now this is only the First Quarter! So it's pretty crazy to think they still had a lot left to show. Talk about a preparation nightmare.

Outstanding.....thank you!!

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Wilson on run downs, Hood or Brown on pass plays.

Philadelphia will have to win without Westbrook. I don't think they can.

Careful. They've won the last two weeks without him making much of an impact on the stat line. He's surprisingly valuable when he's eating up a spy on defense while sticking in for a blitz pickup on someone else.

The Eagles do so much with Westbrook. It isn't all obvious stuff. They run a lot of plays where he just draws coverage to the opposite side or sticks around for a delayed chip block while moving into an empty flat.

DuMaCac

Reaction score
another thing to point out is mcnabb is a slippery ****. we need to contain him and not let him scramble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05