BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Hey, I'm just the messenger...

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3337666

WAR ROOM MOCK DRAFT: Round 1
Pick Team Player Pos. School
1. 49ers Aaron Rodgers QB Cal
49ers officials will try to trade down. If stuck with the No. 1 pick, then Rodgers is the right quarterback in which to rebuild a franchise. He has improved remarkably the last two years and will be ready to play in '05.
2. Dolphins Cedric Benson RB Texas
The Dolphins need a productive running back. Benson is a big, physical back who runs with power and speed, and he never stops hustling.
3. Browns Derrick Johnson OLB Texas
The Browns could build a solid defense around this Ray Lewis type of linebacker.
4. Bears Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
The Bears are desperate for a go-to receiver. Edwards is a big playmaker with tremendous skills, size and speed.
5. Buccaneers Alex Barron T Florida State
Barron has the size, strength and athleticism to dominate the line of scrimmage.
6. Titans Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
James is powerful and athletic and never gives up on a play. He excels both as a pass rusher and run stuffer.
7. Raiders Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
The Raiders had the worst rushing offense in the NFL last season (80.9 yards per game) and need a big upgrade. Brown, a two-dimensional back, can run with power and speed and is a big-time threat as a receiver.
8. Cardinals Alex Smith QB Utah
Smith moves into the top 10 after Matt Leinart's decision to stay in school for his senior season. Smith is the right quarterback to guide this young and potentially dangerous offense.
9. Redskins David Pollack DE Georgia
The Redskins must improve their defensive line. Pollack is a big, physical and experienced end. He is a big-time playmaker because of his speed and energy.
10. Lions Kevin Burnett OLB Tennessee
Burnett has great speed and athletic ability. He never stops hustling, shows great tackling skills and has a knack for making big plays.
11. Cowboys Antrel Rolle CB Miami (Fla.)
Rolle is the shutdown cornerback Dallas desperately needs. He has the size, speed and skills to be a game-altering presence.
12. Chargers Adam "Pac Man" Jones CB West Virginia
(from N.Y. Giants) Jones, a junior, has the skills to be a big-time cornerback and would immediately upgrade the Chargers' secondary. He has outstanding speed, is tough and is an excellent tackler.
13. Texans Dan Cody DE Oklahoma
The Texans are primed to be a serious playoff contender in 2005. Cody is a tough, physical and speedy end who makes big plays. He also shows great leadership skills.
14. Panthers Elton Brown G Virginia
Brown is a dominant force who would open big holes for Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster.
15. Chiefs Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
Rogers is a big, strong fearless defender with all the tools to be a top NFL cornerback.
16. Saints Travis Johnson DT Florida State
Johnson is a quick, strong, hard hitter who can stop the run. He especially excels at penetrating the line.
17. Bengals Thomas Davis S Georgia
Davis is an outstanding athlete who covers a lot of ground and would be the big, tough, physical presence the Bengals need.
18. Vikings Channing Crowder ILB Florida
The Vikings have multiple needs on defense. Crowder is a big, aggressive powerful hitter who has the speed and athleticism to cover the field.
19. Rams Brandon Browner CB Oregon State
Browner is just what the Rams need -- a big, fast and physical playmaker who can matchup man-to-man with big receivers.
20. Cowboys Jammal Brown T Oklahoma
(from Buffalo) Brown is giant and athletic with outstanding blocking skills. He would be the perfect addition to the Cowboys.
21. Jaguars Mike Williams WR USC
Williams would be a steal at this point in the draft. Williams has size and outstanding playmaking ability. With his incredible hands, he and QB Byron Leftwich could be a deadly combination for the next decade.
22. Ravens Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
Clayton is an all-around receiver who does everything -- run, jump, catch, and even block -- extremely well. He would be a perfect target for QB Kyle Boller and the right complement for RB Jamal Lewis.
23. Seahawks Shawne Merriman DE Maryland
Merriman is big and strong with outstanding skills. He played mostly outside linebacker in college but could be a powerful and aggressive end rusher.
24. Packers Matt Roth DE Iowa
Roth would give the Packers a big-time pass rusher with size and speed. He is a playmaker who is relentless in pursuit.
25. Broncos Carnell Williams RB Auburn
If Williams lasts this far, he would be a nice pickup for Denver, which is looking to trade Reuben Droughns. Williams has great speed, size and lower-body strength. He fights for every yard.
26. Jets Brodney Pool S Oklahoma
The Jets have multiple needs on defense. Pool is a big, fast playmaker who can make a difference and be an immediate upgrade.
27. Falcons Vince Carter C Oklahoma
Carter is a big, powerful center who could protect QB Michael Vick and give him room to roam.
28. Chargers Adam Terry T Syracuse
The Chargers' line could use an infusion of youth. Terry has the wingspan to push pass rushers wide of the pocket and the blocking skills to open holes for RB LaDainian Tomlinson.
29. Colts Shaun Cody DT USC
Cody creates matchup problems with his quickness and size. He could be the big-time playmaker the Colts need.
30. Patriots Corey Webster CB LSU
The Patriots' secondary has been shorthanded all season. Webster is a very fast, hard-hitting cornerback with big-play skills and a tough attitude.
31. Eagles Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin
Hawthorne has the strength and size to be a run stopper and an unblockable force as a pass rusher.
32. Steelers Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
The Steelers likely will look to upgrade first on defense. Jackson is a tough, physical shutdown cornerback who could provide an immediate impact.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
If Rolle or Ronnie Brown are there at #8 I am almost positive that we will take one of those two. If they are gone and so are the other two RBs then Alex Smith wouldn't be a terrible pick.

Devision

Rookie
Reaction score
#8 is to high for any RB short of Barry Sanders. The most impressive thing about Smith is his smarts, something Mclown lacks.....

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Devision said:
#8 is to high for any RB short of Barry Sanders. The most impressive thing about Smith is his smarts, something Mclown lacks.....

So by your logic San Diego wasted their number 5 pick on Ladainian Tomlinson. :rolleyes:

And besides Green flat out said that he is high on Benson and Brown at #8 and Green also said that with all of the underclassmen coming out he is pretty sure one of them will fall to 8. If we don't get a FA running back and one of the top 3 are still on the board at 8, Denny has basically come out and said that we will take one of them.

OP
OP
BigJoe

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Most of these mock drafts have David Pollack, DE from UGA, going at or around the 5-15 range. He seems like a heck of a player who has been producing at a high level for 3 years in the SEC. What does anybody think of picking him at 8 if he's available? (I haven't noticed him brought up yet, so feel free to trout me if this has already been beat to death.)

He could provide a nice bookend with Berry and keep Dockett on the inside. Plus, I'm not all that fond of spending high first rounders on RB's, just my personal take. Plus, a DE seems more likely to be an impact player as a rookie than a RB or a CB. I'm sure there are plenty of examples to refute my last two sentences. It doesn't do much to address glaring needs at QB, RB, or CB, but plugging a rookie in to any of those positions probably won't provide the instant impact needed to help drive this team to the playoffs next year.

Just a thought...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
Hey, I'm just the messenger...

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3337666

WAR ROOM MOCK DRAFT: Round 1
Pick Team Player Pos. School
16. Saints Travis Johnson DT Florida State
Johnson is a quick, strong, hard hitter who can stop the run. He especially excels at penetrating the line.

QUOTE]

And this is why it's so hard to come to any consensus on a draft. NFL draftblitz says Johnson is a poor run defender, fox Sports says he's a good run defender and who the hell knows who is right?

I love Derrick Johnson but I'd never in a million years compare him to Ray Lewis.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
Most of these mock drafts have David Pollack, DE from UGA, going at or around the 5-15 range. He seems like a heck of a player who has been producing at a high level for 3 years in the SEC. What does anybody think of picking him at 8 if he's available? (I haven't noticed him brought up yet, so feel free to trout me if this has already been beat to death.)

He could provide a nice bookend with Berry and keep Dockett on the inside. Plus, I'm not all that fond of spending high first rounders on RB's, just my personal take. Plus, a DE seems more likely to be an impact player as a rookie than a RB or a CB. I'm sure there are plenty of examples to refute my last two sentences. It doesn't do much to address glaring needs at QB, RB, or CB, but plugging a rookie in to any of those positions probably won't provide the instant impact needed to help drive this team to the playoffs next year.

Just a thought...

My 2 cents, Pollack has been one of my favorite college players for a few years now. I know AJcardfan has said the same thing in the past. Great college player, who I honestly think is NOT a first rounder. He's got talent without question and he plays VERY hard, but I've seen him so many times I start looking for weaknesses and I have seen him COMPLETELY handled in games when he's up against a really good tackle. He's in the 260-265 range not a whole lot bigger than Pace. He LOOKS bigger than Pace he's thicker, but he's shorter and doesn't have real long arms. That lack of height and wingspan is something that will push him down on scouts boards.

He's relentless, has good moves, and will be a solid NFL player for several years but I think he's a 2nd round pick talent. he'll probably go in the first round on production but he's about as good as he'll probably ever get. I love the kid but if we picked him at 8 I'd be pretty stunned, I just don't think he's THAT good of a prospect.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
25. Broncos Carnell Williams RB Auburn
If Williams lasts this far, he would be a nice pickup for Denver, which is looking to trade Reuben Droughns. Williams has great speed, size and lower-body strength. He fights for every yard.

It's embarrassing that people get paid to do this stuff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolling Thunder said:
It's embarrassing that people get paid to do this stuff.

I laughed at that one and the Chargers taking a CB really high. In recent years SD has taken Jammer #1 in 2002 and Davis #1 and Florence #2 in 2003. Not saying it's impossible but for San Diego to use the 12th pick on Pac Man when they have 3 high draft picks at CB just seems unlikely.

I will give them this, with both Griffin and Anderson coming off major injuries Denver probably WILL take a RB around 3rd or 4th round, but I'd be stunned if they took one in round 1 with the DL needs.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best DE coming out is Notre Dame's Justin Tuck. By the time the combine and workouts are over, he'll be a top 15 pick, in my opinion. He's fast.

He's lanky but has gained weight every year and can carry more. Great pass rusher, he plays the run well too. Can play both left and right side.

Still, we need a RB, TE, and DT more than a Zellner replacement.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
The best DE coming out is Notre Dame's Justin Tuck. By the time the combine and workouts are over, he'll be a top 15 pick, in my opinion. He's fast.

He's lanky but has gained weight every year and can carry more. Great pass rusher, he plays the run well too. Can play both left and right side.

Still, we need a RB, TE, and DT more than a Zellner replacement.

Any idea what Tuck's real weight is? A couple of draft sites are saying ND lists him between 250 and 260 depending on who you ask, but people swear he's unable to keep his weight above 245. At least 2 boards I've found say his % of body fat is something like 5 and he's being looked at as a LB in most NFL circles. I haven't really seen the kid play, has good height and speed numbers but it appears he's 15-20 pounds lighter than Pace.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There are going to be a ton of mock drafts before the real deal. The #2 spot is something to watch for IMO.

I look for Miami to get Henry and draft a QB at their #1 spot. If a deal is made for Henry fine, 'cause he'll open up our choice at RB either by drafting one or getting Henry himself. Miami doesn't have a #2 pick this year, so who knows?

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just finished a stint on Jury Duty and - with very little else to do in the Jury Room but read a couple of cheesy paperback novels - I started to develop a preliminary draft board.

It looked miles apart from the War Room (which incidently, is a joint effort between FOX, The Sporting News and The War Room). I don't have the list handy, but I think I had included in the Top 8 in approximately the following order were:

1. Brayton Edwards
2. Rolle CB
3. Davis S Georgia
4. Alex Smith QB
5. Barron T
6. Ron Brown RB
7. Benson RB
8. Johnson LB

(Note - If Mike Williams can prove he's in 2003 form in post All Star Game workouts, I might elevate him into the Top 8 as well.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I laughed at that one and the Chargers taking a CB really high. In recent years SD has taken Jammer #1 in 2002 and Davis #1 and Florence #2 in 2003. Not saying it's impossible but for San Diego to use the 12th pick on Pac Man when they have 3 high draft picks at CB just seems unlikely.
I don't know, I think they're in a position to truley take the BPA since they have 2 first rounders. I'd be a little surprised, but like you, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Any idea what Tuck's real weight is? A couple of draft sites are saying ND lists him between 250 and 260 depending on who you ask, but people swear he's unable to keep his weight above 245. At least 2 boards I've found say his % of body fat is something like 5 and he's being looked at as a LB in most NFL circles. I haven't really seen the kid play, has good height and speed numbers but it appears he's 15-20 pounds lighter than Pace.

He started the year at 260. Came into ND at about 230. I have no idea whether he held his weight or not as the season progressed. The combine numbers will be interesting.

I've seen every game he's played and he's noticeably bigger now. Whatever happens, we have more pressing needs than DE and that's a shame because Tuck is a high motor guy.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I will give them this, with both Griffin and Anderson coming off major injuries Denver probably WILL take a RB around 3rd or 4th round, but I'd be stunned if they took one in round 1 with the DL needs.

Injuries are irrelevant, Shanahan always take a RB or 2 at some point during the draft. But it's not going to happen on the first day this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I don't know, I think they're in a position to truley take the BPA since they have 2 first rounders. I'd be a little surprised, but like you, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

watch them take a QB and really confound the experts :)

Seems to me the Chargers are one team that you can almost bet they're going to take a WR or an OT. They have a glaring need at WR ERic Parker led them in WR catches with 47. And their Tackles are both so so players, Roman Oben and Olivea according to NFL.com depth charts. If Mike Williams slips as much as some people are saying I think he's a shoein to be a Charger but if he slips that much someone will move up to get him IMHO.

But you are right the extra pick gives them a lot more freedom.