I view Leinart as a guy who is the equivalent of a second year starter

Check out the numbers below:

A) 14 games, 61% completion, 2,878 yards, 12 TD, 14 INT
B) 15 games, 54% completion, 2,444 yards, 12 TD, 20 INT
C) 16 games, 56% completion, 3,194 yards, 13 TD, 16 INT
D) 10 games, 53% completion, 2,267 yards, 13 TD, 20 INT
E) 16 games, 60% completion, 3,284 yards, 17 TD, 16 INT

Answers below....

A) is Chad Henne last year in his first year as a starter (2nd overall)
B) is Mark Sanchez last year in his rookie year
C) is Leinart if you combine his first two years (the equivalent of a full year)
D) is Matt Stafford last year in his rookie year
E) just for fun is Drew Brees, widely considered a top 2 QB in the league, in his first year as a starter (2nd overall). Incidentally, his numbers were worse the following year.

The numbers tell a story - namely we have too small a sample size to know if we have our guy or not. One thing's for sure, like all of the other fans of the QB's on this list, we shouldn't be writing him off yet!

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Two things:
1. Matt Leinart has had more quality weapons at his disposal than those other QBs. Boldin is now gone and others will have to step it up.
2. Matt has played more than just his first two years and I don't think adding that in will help your case for him any.

I think he will have a good year this year. I'm not expecting him to put up Warner like numbers, but more TDs than turnovers would be nice.

doctor

Registered
Reaction score
Tim...that is an excellent point! If anything he needs a curve because of the inconsistancy of play 3 games here 1 game there...and so on....Give the man a break...this is a damn witch hunt!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Two things:
1. Matt Leinart has had more quality weapons at his disposal than those other QBs. Boldin is now gone and others will have to step it up.
2. Matt has played more than just his first two years and I don't think adding that in will help your case for him any.

I think he will have a good year this year. I'm not expecting him to put up Warner like numbers, but more TDs than turnovers would be nice.

Matt also played behind the worst o line known to man his rookie season. On many occasions, he looked like he was running for his life

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
Matt also played behind the worst o line known to man his rookie season. On many occasions, he looked like he was running for his life
Agreed, but this line hasn't looked much better has it? Two more preseason games to get the kinks worked out tho. :grabs:

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Two things:

1. No run game and receivers who did not create separation. Hard for a young QB to trust his WR's and throw the ball, confident that they will come up with it.

2. His second year was a brand new system. He had just started learning Denny's system, then he got hurt. Whis comes in, he has to start learning Whis' offense, all the while having to fear for his job. Whis would pull him during the 2 minute drill, killing his confidence. Thus the "Ride or Die" statement.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't care.

The only thing that matters is - Has he/does he/will he go out there and play well?

Everything else (both pro and con) is just speculation and talk.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
1. No run game and receivers who did not create separation. Hard for a young QB to trust his WR's and throw the ball, confident that they will come up with it.

2. His second year was a brand new system. He had just started learning Denny's system, then he got hurt. Whis comes in, he has to start learning Whis' offense, all the while having to fear for his job. Whis would pull him during the 2 minute drill, killing his confidence. Thus the "Ride or Die" statement.

This

Essentially, Matty played in three different offenses in three seasons:

Carrol (pro style), Denny, Whis

I dont care who you are....that is tough to overcome. Now that he has had three seasons to digest the Whis offense, it's now or never for him.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score

True enough on both, but his numbers haven't gotten better the past couple years have they? If his numbers were even a tad bit better last year I'd see your point.

He really should have no excuse like that now. The running should be even better than last year and he still has great weapons to throw the ball to. If he struggles in the regular season he'd have nothing to blame except himself (maybe the OLine as well tho if the kinks aren't worked out).

What's his escalating contract guaranteeing him next year($12 million?)? Do you think the Cardinals should pay that for a QB that has only struggled in the past? My point is, I don't see him back for 2011 unless he goes out there and shows he is worth that kind of scratch. I'm hopefull the kinks get worked out with the OLine and he does perform very well this year.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ah man, it either IS or ISN'T. It's understandable to get caught up in them, but they are a panacea.

Statistics won't tell you squat. It can hint, but that hint can be wrong.

Like every economist. It's because they rely on bs, that is incomplete, and doesn't take into all the factors that the real living breathing world contains.

Besides, even then anyone can find 5 guys, some of whom had a few similar numbers (which if aggregated over multiple seasons leads to even more variability) that eventually succeeded, and some that didn't. You're not noticing a real trend. Your imagining it. It could be true, It could not be. Considering what it is based off of, I'd say no, it's not true. But even if it isn't doesn't mean it won't be right based off luck. After all the end result is, good/not good. So it has a theoretical 50 percent chance being right no matter what the reason actually made the difference. (which in of itself would probably be unquantifiable)

I could point out 5 MLB from the 90's that had 40-50 hr year(s). Then say what would you project going forward. But then again, we're also talking about a much harder to explain phenomenon. Mediocrity. A mediocre QB doesn't start, or at least not for long.

It's much easier to say, that guy can hit, rather than project a goobly-**** sample of stats from all sorts of different situations, time eras, etc; and use that to form your opinion.)

But there's steroids, there's smaller parks, there's expansion, even the ball has been questioned.

Anyone remember Kevin Mitchell, or Don Mattingly, Darryl Strawberry, or our own Gonzo. There were some who had amazing drop offs, like Brady Anderson. For many different reasons, but had I compared them with the numbers of some of the greats, Mays, Ruth, Aaron, I probably come to the same ML type conclusion with other QB's. Hell someone could come in and show 20 QB's who had those stats and turned into nothing later, and then come to the incorrect conclusion that just because these other 20 guys have not made it, ML won't. It works (or in this case, DOESN'T WORK) BOTH WAYS.

And if I did that with MLB players, none of it would have pointed to a guy named Barry Bonds, to be the major league home run leader. (his HR totals SUCKED early). If anything, it would have pointed to Mark McGwire with his 49 hrs his rookie year (baseball terms: rookie year).

There is no valid statistic metric that would have called that in advance.

You can find nice old fellow that once murdered someone, and a priest who constantly acts like an *****. The world is full of variation on every level.

ML either will suck or not. For as many QB's had success after similar numbers, there are tons that never did. Even taking EVERY QB THAT EVER PLAYED, IN ANY PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE (or simply the bigger ones NFL/AFL/AAFL/USFL) would not show you enough to pinpoint exactly what ML will do, based on the stats, nor get close of enough of an accurate prediction to tell whether or not he will be 'passable' or a decent starter for around 5 years.

He either WILL or he WON'T. Statistics can sometimes show a trend, or lack of one, or something, but you have to use OTHER info to make the determination.

Beware the bias, random events that universe not in a test tube vacuum that statistics doesn't account for.

This is also why the economists never see the big trouble ahead, and thus charlatan snake oil salesmen. Because nature isn't symmetrical, it only tries to FIND it. When it's not, big changes ahead. They aren't linear, they aren't controlled, they are WOW it changed BIG TIME moments....where the hell did that come from???

So using things that similarly led Wall Street astray, also won't help very much in figuring out whether or not ML is going to be good. He either has the talent, mentality, and body for it, along with a million other inter-playing factors, or doesn't. Hell a 'Brinks' truck down the wrong road at the wrong time can do that too.

It's fun, but meaningless to talk about this aspect as it's even more 'out there' to a whole other order of magnitude, than a fan talking about their team on a forum. It's much better and truer, and closer to reality to talk about actual components that go into whether or not ML can be our QB. His mentality, arm strength, etc, etc. (yes there are far more than those, and on both sides).

I have no problem explaining this out, because the world needs to understand that WE CANNOT put our faith into such blind metrics and ideas. It's bs. In the long run, anyone that depends on these, will be left holding the bag. The world DEPENDS (but doesn't have to) on them. Think about it. Good luck.

Last edited: