Lionel Messi hints at move to America once Barcelona contract expires

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lionel Messi has heaped praise on Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola but suggested his long-term future may lie in America rather than England. The Argentine pushed the transfer rumour mill into overdrive this summer when he said he wanted to quit Barcelona, only to agree to stay until the expiry of his current deal at the end of the season rather than drag the club into a legal fight to force his departure. That decision meant he is free to negotiate a summer switch to a foreign club from next month, with City - led by former Barca boss Guardiola - continually at the forefront of speculation to land the playmaker. But speaking with Spanish TV channel La Sexta, the 33-year-old dismissed suggestions of exercising that early option of a free move away from Barcelona, insisting his plan "is to give all I can for the club at the moment" and adding "I have nothing clear until the end of the season. Let's see how we do this season." Further dampening hopes of a move to City, Messi admitted to having regular dialogue with "special" Guardiola, but that an American adventure in the MLS appealed most to him. "I don't know how long my last chat with Pep Guardiola was, but we do talk," Messi said. "We don't talk about whether we are going to meet again. For me Pep is the best, he has something special." He added: "I would like to play in the United States and experience life and the league there, but ultimately come back to Barcelona in some capacity. I'm not thinking too far ahead in the short term and just want to see how the season finishes." Messi scored his 644th goal for Barcelona during his side's victory over Real Valladolid last week to break Pele's record of the most goals for one club. He has won 10 La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues with the Spanish side.

Continue reading...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser