Lions | McCown could see time as wide receiver

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:28:18 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions QB Josh McCown may get some playing time as a wide receiver. However, McCown will not likely be seeing any routes across the middle and would only be used in obvious passing situations.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aw man, we let Kordell Stewart 2.0 get away :(

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Jeeez, with all those top-10 picks they've had recently you'd have thought they'd use one on a WR :D

Last edited:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 14:28:18 -0800

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions QB Josh McCown may get some playing time as a wide receiver. However, McCown will not likely be seeing any routes across the middle and would only be used in obvious passing situations.

Wow, he did the same thing when he played here.

The Shark

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's such a good QB...that they're playing him at WR?

Truthfully, he's a helluva athlete so I think it'd be fun to see him playing some WR. I hope he gets some looks.

I didn't like him as a starting Cardinals QB, but why the venom for him and wnting him to take a big hit?

RedRamage

Reaction score
You should see some of the fun we're having with this at MotownSports.com:

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44100

The funny this is that while Roy Williams is a great #1, WR Numbers 2 through 6 have been a fun revolving door. No.2 going into the season was Bradford, then he was cut after week one. Furrey has cemented that spot, but then we signed Az Hakim, after not resigning him a few years back... then we cut Hakim, and signed Kasper... then we cut Kasper and resigned Bradford. Oh the fun...

Team G

Big Red Surfer
Reaction score
You should see some of the fun we're having with this at MotownSports.com:

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44100

The funny this is that while Roy Williams is a great #1, WR Numbers 2 through 6 have been a fun revolving door. No.2 going into the season was Bradford, then he was cut after week one. Furrey has cemented that spot, but then we signed Az Hakim, after not resigning him a few years back... then we cut Hakim, and signed Kasper... then we cut Kasper and resigned Bradford. Oh the fun...

Wow! This proves there is a parallel universe! :doi:

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score

RR:

Quite the revolving door you guys have at WR (not unlike what we've experienced on the O-Line). I was surprised to hear that Kasper's been cut, given the comment I saw recently on Tom Kowalski's blog:

"Martz said on Thursday (11/09) that they've had issues finding the right No. 3 receiver but he's now pretty confident that Kevin Kasper and Devale Ellis can fill the spot. Kasper has the experience and has been running a lot of plays in practice while Ellis has finally settled down and is doing a better job of handling the speed and emotion of the game. We'll see."​

What a difference a week--and one game--makes. But Bradford's an upgrade, and one assumes that if Mike Martz knows anything, it's wide receiver play. So maybe this move makes sense, eh?

Good luck on Sunday. With securing the #1 spot in the draft, I mean. ;)

WC

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How big of a cushion will the Cards give to McCown? He is a great athlete, you know.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCown catches a 30 yard td pass to win the game lol I can so see this happening heh

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see it now, lateral back to Josh, he stops, sets up and fired a beautiful pass to... his LT's helmet.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Josh will do whatever it takes for us to lose the first pick - which is fine by me because I like watching my team win.

RedRamage

Reaction score
What a difference a week--and one game--makes. But Bradford's an upgrade, and one assumes that if Mike Martz knows anything, it's wide receiver play. So maybe this move makes sense, eh?
Well, the news coming out how is that Bradford apparently was serving a suspension, which is apparently why we cut him. Now his suspension apparently has been received, and due to the total ineffectiveness of our other #3 or lower WRs, we happily resigned him.

What I don't understand is how he served his suspension while not signed with a team... I thought you actually had to have had a chance to play those games before you could be suspended from them. Who knows?

Anyway, I expect McCown to light it up for major YAC anyway, so come next week we'll cut Bradford and sign Jeff Garcia as the backup QB as we move McCown to #3 receiver.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Anyway, I expect McCown to light it up for major YAC anyway, so come next week we'll cut Bradford and sign Jeff Garcia as the backup QB as we move McCown to #3 receiver.

RR:

Y'know, the whole McCown thing may not be as dumb as it sounds. This is a big, fast, athletic kid whose biggest shortcomings as a quarterback appeared to be mental, not physical. He might be able to contribute at WR, similar to Matt Jones in Jacksonville, given time and coaching. Whaddayathink?

WC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RR:

Y'know, the whole McCown thing may not be as dumb as it sounds. This is a big, fast, athletic kid whose biggest shortcomings as a quarterback appeared to be mental, not physical. He might be able to contribute at WR, similar to Matt Jones in Jacksonville, given time and coaching. Whaddayathink?

WC

He's probably going to catch 2 td's Sunday against us.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
RR:

WC

Matt Jones had an okay season operating out of the slot as a rookie, but has been stinking it up this season when his team depended on his production. Only 3 starts, 19 receptions for 433 yards, 0 TDs. I hope that Josh McCown can contribute like Matt Jones has done. :)

EDIT: He's also catching fewer than 50% of the passes thrown in his direction so far this season, with 4 drops, according to STATS, Inc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05