List of players in the expansion draft?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I almost didn't put this up, partly because I thought I'd get beaten to the punch ;) , but more because it's third-hand and possibly useless. Then I figured, 'it's late--what the hell'...

Washington
Juan Dixon 1.1M 3yrs (Year 2 team option, year 3 qualifying offer)
Jerry Stackhouse 7M 3 yrs
Christian Laettner 6.2M 1 yr

Utah
Curtis Borchardt: 1.3M 3yrs (year 2 team option, year 3 qualifying offer)
Mo Williams: 0 0

Toronto
Lamond Murray 4.9M 2 yrs
Morris Peterson 2.3M 1yr (qualifying offer)

Seattle
Richie Frahm 0 0
Jerome James 4.5M 1 yr
Calvin Booth 5.9M 3yrs
Vitaly Potapenko 6.2M 1 yr

San Antonio
Malik Rose 5.4M 4 yrs
Matt Carroll 0 0
Charlie Ward 1.1M 1yr (player option)

Kings
Anthony Peeler 1.1M 1yr (player option)

Portland
Ruben Patterson 5.9M 3 yrs (year 3 player option)
Omar Cook 0 0
Dan Dickau: 900k 3yrs (year 2 team option, year 3 qualifying offer)
Eddie Gill 3720k 1yr (team option)
Qyntel Woods 1.2M 3yrs (year 2 team option, 3 qualifying offer)
Vladimir Stepania 0 0

Phoenix:
Howard Eisley: 6.3M 3yrs 9year 3 team option)
Jahidi White: 5.9M 1yr

Philadelphia
Derrick Coleman: 4.5M 2yrs
Greg Buckner: 2.9M 4yrs
Aaron McKie: 5.5M 4yrs (Year 3 player option)
Glenn Robinson 12M 1 yr
Todd MacCulloch: 5.9M 3yrs

Orlando
DeShawn Stevenson: 2.4M 1yr (qualifying offer)
Reece Gaines: 1.2M 4yrs (year 3 team option, year 4 qualifying offer)
Zaza Pachulia: 620k (player option)
Britton Johnson: 0 0

New York
Allan Houston: 17.5M 3yrs
Penny Hardaway: 14.6M 2Yrs (Year 1 player option)
Shandon Anderson 7.3M 3yrs
Moochie Norris: 3.9M 3yrs
Cezary Trybanski: 1.7 1yr

New Orleans
George Lynch: 3MM 2yrs

New Jersey
Kerry Kittles: 9.8M 1yr
Alonzo Mourning: 5.4M 3yrs
Rodney Rogers: 3.4M 1yr
Tamar Slay:0 0

Minnesota
Ndudi Ebi: 750K 4yrs (year 3 player option, year 4 qualifying offer)

Milwaukee
Erick Strickland: 1.7M 1yr

Miami
Eddie Jones 12.8M 3yrs
Wang Zhizhi 0 0

Memphis
Bonzi Wells:8M 1yr (team Option)
Earl Watson: 1.5M 1yr
Troy Bell1.4M 4yrs (year 3 Team Option, Year 4 qualifying offer)
Dahntay Jones: 1.1M 4yrs (year 3 team option, year 4 qualifying offer)
Bo Outlaw: 5.4M 1yr
Jake Tsakalidis 2.3M 1yr (qualifying offer)
Ryan Humphrey: 1.2M 3yrs (year 2 team option, year 3 player option)

Los Angeles Clips
Melvin Ely: 1.7M 3yrs (year 2 team option, year 3 qualifying offer)
Predrag Drobnjak: 2.8M 3yrs
Keyon Dooling: 3M 1yr (qualifying offer)

Indiana
Primoz Brezec 1.5M 2yrs (year 2 team option)
Anthony Johnson: 930k 1yr
James Jones: 0 0
Scot Pollard: 5.8M 2yrs
Austin Croshere: 8.2M 3yrs (year 2 player option)

Houston
Clarence Weatherspoon: 5.9M 2yrs

Golden State
Nick Van Exel 11.9M 2yrs (year 2 team option)
Popeye Jones: 0 0

Denver
Jeff Trepagnier: 0 0

Dallas
Antoine Walker: 14.6M 1yr
Tariq Abdul-Wahad: 6.8M 3yrs
Tony Delk: 3.2M 2yrs
Danny Fortson: 5.9M 3yrs (year 2 player option)

Cleveland
Kevin Ollie:2.7M 4yrs
Ira Newble: 2.7M 4yrs
Kedrick Brown: 2.3M 2yrs (year 2 qualifying offer)
Jason Kapono: 0 0

Chicago
Antonio Davis 12M 2yrs
Jerome Williams 5.4M 4yrs (year 4 team option)
Eddie Robinson 6.2M 2yrs
Marcus Fizer 4.9M 1yr (qualifying offer)
Scottie Pippen 4.9M 1 yr

Boston:
Michael Stewart: 4.8m 1yr
Brandon Hunter: 620k 1yr
Chucky Atkins4.2M 2yrs
Jumaine Jones 1.7M 2yrs

Atlanta:
Alan Henderson: 8.2M 1yr

I highlighted 14 players that might be worth taking, even without compensation. The total cost for those 14 adds up to about $20m.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Man, drafting for an NBA expansion franchise must be one of the hardest things to do in sports. There are innumerable strategies, incentives, short-term and long-term considerations ... whew! It's dizzying just to think about.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If accurate, it appears that a number of teams protected some high priced/overpaid players rather than try to force a salary dump. For example, if accurate, I am totally stunned that Toronto left Mo Peterson unprotected and did not leave Jalen Rose exposed. Rose is one of the most overpaid players in the NBA. :confused:

Errntknght

Reaction score
Way different list than I expected, too. Heck, there's no way Charlotte would pick Jahidi without some kind of inducement beyond the 3 Mil - unless they like him for their team. It looks like to me they might get some bribes for not picking guys like Earl Watson, Erick Stickland, and Melvin Ely if they don't happen to want them. Heck, they could run down the list and try to milk a bribe from every team... couldn't hurt to try.

I was thinking the other day that one thing that the Bobcats could do to effectively waste a pick a no cost at all would be to pick a restricted FA, who then becomes a FA that they wouldn't try to sign. It doesn't look they'll have to resort to that. In fact, I don't know why they'd pick an RFA for any other reason, since they then have to compete on the open market to sign him. Of course, they might threaten to pick some RFAs to see if they couldn't extract a modest bribe.

Dylan

Registered
Reaction score
Used to be the expansion draft was all a matter of trying to protect players and not lose anyone you wanted.

With the cap, and the way it has restricted teams so much, it gives the Bobcats an awful awful lot to work with. They may be able to get all kinds of future picks, like you say. Just go down the list and get something to not take someone, and get something to take someone.

I wonder if it is too much of an advantage, as basketball is different from most other sports cause you can build a team pretty quick with 5 man starting lineups vs 9 and 22 for baseball and football.

Heck, we are one of those teams, full of young guys. We have added 4 first round picks and also JJ in last 2 years. We know we have a good team coming in next couple years, and they should too with all they get to work with.

On the other hand, it does allow teams to free up and get things moving again all over the league, which is fun to be involved in and to watch.

Interesting to see what kind of team they are in 3 years.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
I'd really like to see it if they weren't trying to go with low cost young players (Not because I think it would be the smart thing to do, I would just like to see it). Probably see a line up like:

Nick Van Exel
Allan Houston
Jerry Stackhouse
Antoine Walker
Antonio Davis

Strong assumption being that everyone would be healthy, but if so there would be alot of O on that team, but very little D. Big egos as well.

How about everyone else. Rather than picking low priced talent, who would you pick as your starting 5 using that list (and basic expansion rules) if you had to win NEXT YEAR?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
i can't belive that minnesota would expose Ndudi Ebi. they just used there first round pick to draft the kid and i hear that they are impressed with his development. they knew it would be a couple of years before he was ready to play when they drafted him.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
offset said:
i can't belive that minnesota would expose Ndudi Ebi. they just used there first round pick to draft the kid and i hear that they are impressed with his development. they knew it would be a couple of years before he was ready to play when they drafted him.

That's one player the Bobcats would be stupid not to take (if he's even unprotected I'd rather see confirmation of this list). I'm not guaranteeing he'll be a perennial All-Star, but at the same time, according to many he was only behind LeBron as a player in the 2003 class of high schoolers, ahead of Luol Deng, Villanueva, and others. I doubt the Bobcats plan on being competitive until 2006-2007 anyways, so if Ebi was there and they draft Livingston, you have a terrific young nucleus in place.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Heck, if Ebi and Livingston both develop well for the Bobcats, they could become known as the "Ndubi Brothers."

sunsfn

Reaction score
The Grizzlies list surprises me a little.

Someone will probably pay the Bobcats to draft and trade them Wells, & Watson. Although that is a team option on Wells, and that might complicate things. You could draft him, not exercise the option and he could go where he wants. That may be what the Bobcats will do.

I am surprised that Jerry West is not protecting his two first round picks last year. Of course I was surprised he drafted them when he did.
(Bell & Jones.)
But, he can only lose one of these players.

Memphis
Bonzi Wells:8M 1yr (team Option)
Earl Watson: 1.5M 1yr
Troy Bell1.4M 4yrs (year 3 Team Option, Year 4 qualifying offer)
Dahntay Jones: 1.1M 4yrs (year 3 team option, year 4 qualifying offer)
Bo Outlaw: 5.4M 1yr
Jake Tsakalidis 2.3M 1yr (qualifying offer)
Ryan Humphrey: 1.2M 3yrs (year 2 team option, year 3 player option)
-----------------------------
I am somewhat surprised with these two.
Woods had some trouble, but I thought Gaines had potential to be a good player.

Qyntel Woods 1.2M 3yrs (year 2 team option, 3 qualifying offer)
Reece Gaines: 1.2M 4yrs (year 3 team option, year 4 qualifying offer)

:confused:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
who would you pick as your starting 5 using that list (and basic expansion rules) if you had to win NEXT YEAR?

Good question. I think I'd do this:

C - Antonio Davis
PF - Malik Rose
SF - Glenn Robinson
SG - Eddie Jones
PG - Earl Watson

PF and PG don't have much to offer. Frankly, Eisley would be a candidate for PG if the main issue were winning now -- he's the closest thing to an established veteran PG on the list. At PF, I'd rather have Rose than Walker, because I think you'd need some "dirty work" players.

sunsfn

Reaction score
With reading reports that the suns are working on something with the Bobcats, or have already something in place, I am wondering if any of these players interest the suns and they will try to make a deal where they get one of these players back from the Bobcats.?

:)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I am wondering if any of these players interest the suns and they will try to make a deal where they get one of these players back from the Bobcats.?

Probably not, since the point of the Suns making a deal is supposed to be to free up cap space. Why give up cash and a draft pick in order to replace one mediocre player with another? The only player on that list I could see the Suns wanting is ... um ... no one, actually.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I am wondering if any of these players interest the suns and they will try to make a deal where they get one of these players back from the Bobcats.?

Probably not, since the point of the Suns making a deal is supposed to be to free up cap space. Why give up cash and a draft pick in order to replace one mediocre player with another? The only player on that list I could see the Suns wanting is ... um ... no one, actually.

I'm inclined to agree. Assuming this list is accurate, I'm a little surprised that Portland did not expose Dale Davis. They could reduce the Blazer salaries by $9 million without having to do a bribe. I can't see the Bobcats wanting Patterson so all they lose will be a low priced player with little cap impact.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Jahidi White C
Melvin Ely F/C
Jerry Stackhouse G/F
Reece Gaines G
Ben Gordon PG

George Lynch PF
Earl Watson PG
Anthony Peeler G
Kedrick Brown G/F
Ndudi Ebi SF
Jumaine Jones F
Primoz Brezec C
Curtis Borchardt C

Jeff Trapagnier SG
Tamar Slay SF

Future Suns Draft Pick (Cleveland)
Future Wizards Draft Pick

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think we look to the head coach and what scheme he wants to run. If defense oriented look for the defensive picks. If it's fast break the coach always runs, look for fast players, etc. :shrug:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yuma said:
I think we look to the head coach and what scheme he wants to run. If defense oriented look for the defensive picks. If it's fast break the coach always runs, look for fast players, etc. :shrug:

To a degree, but only if the coach and the GM are on the same wavelength.

I have always maintained that BC really screwed over Skiles when the Suns unloaded Cliff Robinson and Jason Kidd. There were good long range reasons to do it, but it took the two best defenders from the team and Skiles never really adjusted. Also, last fall, the trade of Bo Outlaw was totally against Frank Johnson's wishes.

My point is not to get into the usual "let's rag on the Colangelos" stuff which I find boring. I am just saying that the team management tries to define the kind of team they want and then hopefully pick the coaches that fit that style. Maybe after fumbling around they have finally picked a winner in D'Antoni. Let's hope. But in any case, I think he will try to play the style the Colangelos like.