Locker Room Material - From Atlanta- If you are a player please read

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sh...008/12/29/everything_set_up_nicely_for_t.html

Trip to Arizona a blessing for blessed Falcons

By Mark Bradley | Monday, December 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Flowery Branch — Mike Smith began his postgame walk to the locker room Sunday believing his team would have a week off and then a home playoff game. By the time he reached his destination he’d learned otherwise. And was the Falcons coach disappointed?

“It would have been nice to have a home game with our home-field advantage and the bye week,” Smith said Monday. “That’s definitely an advantage.”

But again we see that some higher power seems to have taken a liking to these bold Birds. Because their reward for finishing second in the NFC South is one of the sweetest consolation prizes in the history of consolation. They get to play Arizona, and here’s what Vegas thinks of the Cardinals: They’re home-field playoff underdogs to the team that only four months ago was the consensus choice as the NFL’s worst.

Sixteen games have taught us these Falcons are much closer to being the league’s best than its worst, and there seems no reason for the happy story to end Saturday in Glendale.

Arizona was 6-0 against the NFL’s worst division, 3-7 against real teams. It was 1-4 against playoff qualifiers — the Falcons were 3-2 — and enters the postseason having lost four of six.

If you have to play on an opponent’s field in January, you pray Arizona is the opponent. For all the worry about the Cardinals’ passing — Kurt Warner and three 1,000-yard receivers — they have nothing else. They’ve yielded 101 more points than the Falcons, and Arizona’s running game is the league’s worst. And a team that can’t run is a team that shouldn’t be playing in January.

Smitty being Smitty, he made Arizona sound like the 1966 Packers in his weekly media briefing — “very potent,” he called the Cardinals — but in a private conversation afterward he made it clear that he likes his team’s chances in the month ahead. He was the defensive line coach for the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, a wild-card team that won the Super Bowl, and when a visitor asked if he sees similarities in these Falcons, he said this: “I’m very confident we will execute and go out and play well.”

For someone so cautious, that came close to sounding like Joe Willie Namath the week of Super Bowl III. (OK, maybe not that close.) But Smith has reasons to be cheerful: His team has passed every big test, and it seems as, er, potent as any team in the playoff grid.

The Falcons have been a week-by-week surprise to those of us on the periphery, but not to the men inside the complex at 4400 Falcon Parkway. Indeed, Smith said he learned all he needed to know about his team not in those 11 seconds against Chicago or the overtime against Tampa Bay, but way back in Week 2.

The Falcons trailed the Bucs 17-3 in Tampa. Matt Ryan had thrown two early interceptions and was getting hammered by a defense that lives to hammer young quarterbacks. And then you looked up in the fourth quarter and it was 17-6 and the Falcons had a first-and-goal and Ryan was rattled no more.

“You talk about turning points,” Smith said. “That was a turning point. Our young quarterback completed 8 of 9 passes, and we showed we could handle a surge on the road. The outcome [a 24-9 loss] wasn’t what we wanted, but you felt very proud about what we were able to accomplish.”

The Falcons would win four of their next seven road games, and not since that first half on Sept. 14 have they seemed overwhelmed anywhere. They will not be overwhelmed Saturday in Glendale. They’ve beaten better teams in tougher places.

They’ll beat the Cardinals and move on to the next task.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Trust me..... I would look at this as a good thing also.

Problem is that Karma is going to kick them in the ass on Saturday.

And KOC will be keeping them up in the hotel room all night before the game.

I am really confident about this for some really strange reason.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
like i said in another post, you can't have an easier schedule than Atlanta had outside of it's division.Plus,the NFC south has a nice record because they played the putird AFC west. If they played the AFC east they would all have about 9-7 records. Again,Atlanta's murderer's row of a non-division schedule
Detroit 0-16
KC 2-14
Stl. 2-14
Oak 5-11
Den 8-8
SD 8-8
GB 6-10
Minn,Phi, Chi

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
This is similar to what was said about the Cards going into Big D in Jan 99...

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the Cardinals win, Mark Bradley's email box should be flooded with ASFNers on Monday morning. I am not proclaiming the Cards as an odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl, but this whole article is just dissing the team way too much. Apparently national media types don't like to take our record at UofP over the last 2 years into consideration when making these predictions?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trust me..... I would look at this as a good thing also.

Problem is that Karma is going to kick them in the ass on Saturday.

And KOC will be keeping them up in the hotel room all night before the game.

I am really confident about this for some really strange reason.

Me too for some reason, the shoes gotta drop sometime. I really feel another 98ess game will happen

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
I was surprised to see Dilfer pick the Cardinals. Hodge appears to be the one blasting the Cards now.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everytime I see Hodge on TV, it's like a bad dream, all he does is blast the Cards.

But analyst are there for entertainment, alot of times these guys will have the same opinion and they just have to play Devils advocate, to make the show better. So I really take what these guys say with a grain of salt.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But analyst are there for entertainment, alot of times these guys will have the same opinion and they just have to play Devils advocate, to make the show better. So I really take what these guys say with a grain of salt.

"No. I'm sure of it, I hate him." - Doc Holliday (Tombstone) :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This is similar to what was said about the Cards going into Big D in Jan 99...

Yep, I remember a specific article by a Dallas writer, he was citing how difficult it is to beat the same team 3 times in a season and he finished up with something along the lines of throw out the statistics because the Cardinals had no chance in Dallas.

Dilfer picked the Cards...Hodge picked against the Cards...in other news the world is round.

Reaction score
like i said in another post, you can't have an easier schedule than Atlanta had outside of it's division.Plus,the NFC south has a nice record because they played the putird AFC west. If they played the AFC east they would all have about 9-7 records. Again,Atlanta's murderer's row of a non-division schedule
Detroit 0-16
KC 2-14
Stl. 2-14
Oak 5-11
Den 8-8
SD 8-8
GB 6-10
Minn,Phi, Chi

1. Granted, what you say is true, you might want to look at yourselves

before critizing another teams "soft schedule". I bet you might not find

that big of a difference with respect to strength of schedule between the

Falcons/Cardinals, lets see:

St Louis 2 -14 (Twice)

San Fran 7-9 (Twice)

Seattle 4-12 (Twice)

Buffalo 7-9

Wash 8-8

2. Question: what do the first 3 teams listed above have in common??

oh, thats right they are in your division!!! Gee, wish we were still in the

NFC WEST:)

3. Her's to a an injury free game, and lets go you DIRTY BIRDS!!!!!!

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
1. Granted, what you say is true, you might want to look at yourselves

before critizing another teams "soft schedule". I bet you might not find

that big of a difference with respect to strength of schedule between the

Falcons/Cardinals, lets see:

St Louis 2 -14 (Twice)

San Fran 7-9 (Twice)

Seattle 4-12 (Twice)

Buffalo 7-9

Wash 8-8

2. Question: what do the first 3 teams listed above have in common??

oh, thats right they are in your division!!! Gee, wish we were still in the

NFC WEST:)

3. Her's to a an injury free game, and lets go you DIRTY BIRDS!!!!!!
While I agree with most of that, I don't think you'd want to play San Francisco right now. We were a bit fortunate that we got to play them before HC Singletary got everything straightened out. We almost lost that last one to them.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Say hello to our Dirty Bird.
His name is LOS.
That's Mr. Karlos Dansby to you.
Get used to the name.

Attachments

• tx_dansby.jpg
    tx_dansby.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 361
Reaction score
While I agree with most of that, I don't think you'd want to play San Francisco right now. We were a bit fortunate that we got to play them before HC Singletary got everything straightened out. We almost lost that last one to them.
That's probably true, looks like Mike's got that team turned around.. About Saturday' s game, KW and y'all's recieving corp has me a little on edge, but i believe we will negate that with M. turner/J. Norwood pounding that rock and controlling the clock... Should be a great game, good luck, but not too much... Falcon fever, catch it!!!!!!!:)

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BTW.
Meet Adub.
That's Mr. Adrian Wilson to you!
He hurts QB's and likes it!

Attachments

• adrian_postcard.jpg
    adrian_postcard.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 504

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow this guy makes it sound like they are going to play the Rams. Oh wait that was last week at their house. After the Beat down St Louis got from them I shudder to think what we are going to get at HOME no less. Please oh mighty Falcons show us mercy.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smitty being Smitty, he made Arizona sound like the 1966 Packers in his weekly media briefing — “very potent,” he called the Cardinals — but in a private conversation afterward he made it clear that he likes his team’s chances in the month ahead.

Hey, guys, cut the writer some slack. It's obvious that the guy is just standing up for his boyfriend.

Although Smitty's going to be very peeved that their little private pillow talk was spread all over the newspaper. :nono:

:D

JTS

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
I loved it in comment section when Mark Bradley says he has a system in picking winners and he is usally wrong.