London wins 2012 Olympics

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SINGAPORE - London was awarded the 2012 Olympics on Wednesday, narrowly defeating European rival Paris in the final round of voting to take the games back to the British capital for the first time since 1948.

After Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated in the first three rounds, London beat its cross-Channel opponent 54-50 on the fourth ballot of the International Olympic Committee vote — capping the most glamorous and hotly contested bid race in Olympic history.

"I'm looking forward to what I'm sure will be a fantastic Olympic Games," said Prince William, speaking from New Zealand.

Paris had been the front-runner throughout the campaign, but London picked up momentum in the late stages with strong support from Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Part of London's pitch was that it stepped in to help the Olympic movement by staging the games as Europe was still recovering from World War II.

The race had been considered too close to call as an unprecedented collection of world leaders and sports celebrities converged on Singapore to lobby for the bids.

London's victory handed Paris its third stinging Olympic defeat in 20 years, following failed bids for the 1992 and 2008 Olympics. Paris hasn't hosted the games since 1924.

IOC president Jacques Rogge opened a sealed envelope and declared the result in a live televised ceremony: "The International Olympic Committee has the honor of announcing that the Games of the 30th Olympiad in 2012 are awarded to the city of London."

The tan-suited London delegates in the convention hall leaped out of their seats, arms raised in jubilation and cheering wildly.

The voting figures weren't immediately released.

In London, crowds cheered and waved flags as they watched the announcement from Singapore on a giant screen in Trafalgar Square, and in the east London area where the main Olympic complex will be based.

The results of the first three rounds came as no surprise. Moscow was always considered the longshot, with New York and Madrid outsiders. Moscow went out with 15 votes in the first round, New York dropped out next with 16, then Madrid with 31.

Paris had the perceived advantage of bidding for a third time, especially since the IOC tends to reward persistence. The French capital also had a ready-to-go Olympic stadium in the Stade de France and embraced the IOC's blueprint for controlling the size and cost of the games.

But not even a personal appearance in Singapore by French President Jacques Chirac could secure victory.

"The heart of Paris and the heart of France are beating in unison in the hope of becoming Olympic host in 2012," Chirac said during the city's final presentation to the IOC. "You can put your trust and faith in France, you can trust the French, you can trust us."

Blair, who spent two days of lobbying in Singapore before leaving to host the G8 summit in Scotland, spoke in a video message — half of which was delivered in French, one of the IOC's two official languages.

"My promise to you is we will be your very best partners," Blair said. "The entire government are united behind this bid. ... It is the nation's bid."

London centered its bid on the massive urban renewal of a dilapidated area of East London. It's the fourth bid from Britain after failed attempts by Birmingham for the 1992 Olympics and Manchester for 1996 and 2000.

London got off to a slow start, but made big strides under Sebastian Coe, a two-time Olympic 1,500-meter gold medalist who replaced American businesswoman Barbara Cassani as head of the bid in May 2004.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason, this is a satisfying win....... (at least the London over Paris part).

Djaughe

Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
For some reason, this is a satisfying win....... (at least the London over Paris part).

Especially after jock chirac was bashing english food recently.

englishdback

Reaction score
WOOO HOOOO!!!! Im not overly fussed about the olympics coming to this country, id rather we hosted the soccer world cup, BUT its always nice to stick one up the French :D

Djaughe

Reaction score
from espn website said:
...Tony Parker of the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs said Paris' loss proved the IOC had an Anglo-Saxon bias.

"It's been three times now that Paris has been refused -- 1992, 2008 and 2012. I find that bizarre," Parker said. "We did everything we had to do. I don't know what more we could have done...

:biglaugh:

Uhm...hello...isn't the next one in China?

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see London win. I probably even wanted them to win over New York since the U.S. has hosted many Olympic lately including Salt Lake City and Atlanta. London hasn't hosted anything for a while and they will be very American friendly.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I was hoping for Paris becasue they have been trying for awhile now.

But London was my 2nd choice.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony Parker already shows that he is an idiot. Yeah, the committee really showed their preference for the English over the French when they chose Albertville in 1992. Not to mention the fact Birmingham and Manchester have both lost recent bids.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vote was 54-50. Chirac may have lost it when he said the English have the worst food on the planet, except for Finland. Finland had two votes.... :biglaugh:

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It could also have to do with the French getting on everybodies nerves by acting like they are better then everybody else. Who do they like anyways? :) Hard to get votes that way... they love their individuality and I don't want to incorporate other "inferior" as they look at it, ways of doing things...

Also from what I heard, Paris is a fairly dirty city and the French aren't really known for their good planning and hard work...

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Just having been in Paris and London regularly I would have to say that aside from the political issues Paris should have won.

You go to Paris and you see the large signs everywhere stating that they are up for the games and they showed you plans of what they would do.

London had nothing with the exceptions of a few billboards.

As far as Paris being dirty, I totally disagree. London has much more filth than Paris.

Paris has a better public transit system.

London did put a lot more money out there though...

In my eyes, Paris shoudl have gotten it but London will do just fine...

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I'm glad London won too. I can't believe the US was even in the running after getting Atlanta recently. And how the h*ll did Atlanta get picked anyway. It should have been a major city like New York, LA or Chicago.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
No more baseball or softball in the Olympics. :(

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05