Looks like Rose lied in his new book. What a surprise

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder how much truth Pete writes in his new book. I won't buy it because I don't want to support this loser's habit.

ESPN.com news services
MIAMI -- One of Pete Rose's former gambling associates disputes the career hit leader's claim that he never bet on baseball from the Cincinnati Reds' clubhouse.

Thomas Gioiosa, who once lived in Rose's Cincinnati home and now owns a health-supplement store in Ormond Beach, Fla., said in a telephone interview Tuesday that he often saw Rose wager on baseball before games.

"I was there, and we did it every day," Gioiosa said.

Rose admits in "My Prison Without Bars," his autobiography due out Thursday, that he gambled on the Reds while managing them. But in excerpts from the book obtained by ESPN.com, he says he only bet on the Reds to win and "never made any bets from the clubhouse."

"As we all know, it's very hard to take self-responsibility publicly," Gioiosa said. "I think he wants to air out his closet, but he doesn't want to air the whole thing out. Nobody really does. You've got to leave some skeletons. I wish he'd just come clean with everything. I just wonder if he ever will tell the whole story."

Gioiosa said Rose would use information from telephone conversations with other managers to help decide which teams to bet on. Rose made bets by telephone from his clubhouse office, Gioiosa said.

"He'd pick up the phone, press 0 and say, 'Get me an outside line,' " Gioiosa said. "And when he was betting, there were numbers. He'd say, 'Give me No. 1,' and that would be the Reds. 'No. 4' would be the Phillies. 'No. 8' would be someone else."

Gioiosa was convicted in September 1989 of conspiring to distribute cocaine, conspiring to defraud the government and filing a false income tax return in 1987. He was accused of claiming Rose's winning $47,646 ticket from a racetrack on his income taxes because Rose would have had to pay taxes at a higher rate.

He was also convicted of planning to transport cocaine from Florida to Cincinnati. He was freed from prison in 1992 and served five years of supervised release.

Rose and Gioiosa met in 1978 and Gioiosa "became, over the next few years, a constant companion and runner for Pete Rose," according to the 1989 report by baseball lawyer John Dowd that led to the agreement in which Rose accepted a lifetime ban.

Dowd's report detailed telephone calls between Rose and his gambling network, including calls made from the Reds' clubhouse.

Gioiosa began running bets for Rose in 1984, the report found. Gioiosa said he did not cooperate with Dowd's investigation.

Rose spent five months in prison in 1990 and 1991 for filing false tax returns.

In the book, Rose admits placing bets through Gioiosa. Dowd concluded Rose bet on baseball from 1985-87 and detailed 412 baseball wagers between April 8-July 5, 1987, including 52 on Cincinnati to win.

Gioiosa said he and Rose last spoke in 1989, but that he will buy Rose's book.

"I want to see what he has to say," Gioiosa said. "I might even stand in line and have him sign it."

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
rose is a sleaz bag and shouldnt be allowed to have anything to do with baseball. i think he should go crawl back under the rock he came from and go away. He is truly shameless.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Also heard a clip on NPR radio with former commishioner Fay Vincent, who stated that Rose doesn't "come clean" in the book because he doesn't acknowledge the times he bet on baseball while he was playing with the Phillies (and baseball officials are aware of this)

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
I don't believe that Pete bet on baseball while he was with the Phillies. I think Vincent and Dowd completely overreached there.

But Vincent, unlike Giamatti is a creep anyways.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan
Often said that the Rose case literally broke Giamatti's heart. The man loved baseball... and died shortly after ruling on Rose.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by schillingfan
I don't believe that Pete bet on baseball while he was with the Phillies. I think Vincent and Dowd completely overreached there.

Yeah right. Thet were reporting on Monday when Pete was with the Reds you could find him on every off day at the track. It has been stated Pete has been a gambler his entire baseball career. Just because he played for the Phillies does not mean he did not bet on baseball. The guy is a liar and a sleazeball, period.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care what he did, he belongs in the hall, but should never work in baseball again.

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zona90
Yeah right. Thet were reporting on Monday when Pete was with the Reds you could find him on every off day at the track. It has been stated Pete has been a gambler his entire baseball career. Just because he played for the Phillies does not mean he did not bet on baseball. The guy is a liar and a sleazeball, period.
The reasons I don't believe he bet on baseball while playing for the Phillies are two. First, there never have been any rumors or reports of it around Philly. And Philly is a town where the media will dig out this stuff if they can, tons of scrutiny.

I also don't think so because I think while he may have gambled some while playing, that the compulsion to gamble becomes bigger after retirement. Competition is a high for a lot of players who are adrenaline junkies. Once they quit playing they need something to replace it. I don't think managing gives quite the same excitement. So gambling replaces the high from competition.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Aren't there laws against Insider Trading on the stock market? Using privileged information (not available to the public) for profit.

If Pete Rose used to call other Managers for information about their teams, then bet accordingly, isn't that similar to Insider Trading? Using privileged information (not available to the public) for profit.

I wonder if he broke the law, as well as taking advantage of his position.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Originally posted by bankybruce
I don't care what he did, he belongs in the hall, but should never work in baseball again.

Exactly the same opinion as mine. Is Pete Rose a lying scumbag? Absolutely, but the player that he was and the stats that he put up are worthy of being put in the Hall (but NOT allowed back in baseball in any capacity)

My prediction with Pete Rose in the Hall is same as it was before this info came out. I think Pete Rose will get into the Hall eventually ... but it will probably be after he dies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05