Madden Questions

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok I posted this and couldnt find it.

What is the purpose of punt returns? The punting team has your PR surrounded before the ball even gets there.

Shipp is disgruntled and wants off the team and he is even playing poorly and fumbleing on purpose I think. Can you turn this off on franchise mode?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

What is the purpose of punt returns? The punting team has your PR surrounded before the ball even gets there.

Shipp is disgruntled and wants off the team and he is even playing poorly and fumbleing on purpose I think. Can you turn this off on franchise mode?

Maybe you should just play him more :)

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

In my season Shipp is the leading rusher and far outperforms Arrington.

I have also returned one punt for a TD. Dont ask how. It was pure luck. Because I am usually surrounded and hit right away usually causing a fumble. I returned the TD against the 49ers.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
why hell don't the players block for you on punt returns. It's like they forgot to program that into the game. you have to fair catch every time. And it's so hard to not throw an interception in a game with that damn vision cone.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
It's extremely risky but works 90% of the time. Bring your PR to the outside of the DLine. Make sure he is fast. 87 or better. You'll block the punt 90% of the time or better.

But if you want to play the realistic way, then manually bring a blocker in front of your PR before returning it.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
The punt return programming is a total mess cause the blockers don't block, they're just hanging around and the computer-controlled punter underkicks (EA and Tiburon are either too poor to pay beta-testers, or they're blind cause I've never seen such a major glitch)
In order to have a decent punt return, try one of these "fixs" (or the two combined) :

- Increase the CPU punt distance slider for 7-8 clicks.

- Always choose the punt block formation (the CPU will switch to max protection) and then audible to return formation.

I've still never scored a TD on a punt return but sometimes i broke a 15-20 yards return (and then the CPU players, w/a 65 speed rating, are all breaking together the 100m world record and destroy my running-at-full-speed-punt- returner w/his 95 speed rating :D )

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ollie said:
The punt return programming is a total mess cause the blockers don't block, they're just hanging around and the computer-controlled punter underkicks (EA and Tiburon are either too poor to pay beta-testers, or they're blind cause I've never seen such a major glitch)
In order to have a decent punt return, try one of these "fixs" (or the two combined) :

- Increase the CPU punt distance slider for 7-8 clicks.

- Always choose the punt block formation (the CPU will switch to max protection) and then audible to return formation.

I've still never scored a TD on a punt return but sometimes i broke a 15-20 yards return (and then the CPU players, w/a 65 speed rating, are all breaking together the 100m world record and destroy my running-at-full-speed-punt- returner w/his 95 speed rating :D )

:biglaugh:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
To do well on PR's do one of two things:

1. Play the punt return with the blocking. Take two or more of the blockers back manually and set them around the PR.

2. Go for the all out punt block. Take two guys from one side of the line, and set them up on the other side of the line (make sure they are fast) and blitz with them. This usually opens the space up for the people rushing from the middle. The punt usually is short or completly outshoots the coverage giving you room to run, or goes out of bounds.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ollie said:

Or they intentionally never release a "perfect" football sim, that way you always have added incentive to buy the game again next year.

Every year, the Madden game has a bad flaw. Whether it's the 2002 flaw of offensive linemen not progressing, or the 2004 flaw of being able to cut a player and bring him back at a cut-rate salary, or the current flaw of having to fair-catch every punt because no-one blocks.

Don't think that wasn't put in there intentionally. If they wanted to fix it, they could release a patch for it through Xbox live or online if you have the PC version. They never patched those other issues, I doubt they'll patch this one.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Or they intentionally never release a "perfect" football sim, that way you always have added incentive to buy the game again next year.

Every year, the Madden game has a bad flaw. Whether it's the 2002 flaw of offensive linemen not progressing, or the 2004 flaw of being able to cut a player and bring him back at a cut-rate salary, or the current flaw of having to fair-catch every punt because no-one blocks.

Don't think that wasn't put in there intentionally. If they wanted to fix it, they could release a patch for it through Xbox live or online if you have the PC version. They never patched those other issues, I doubt they'll patch this one.

Yeah, I'm not sure that EA Sports intentionally release bugged games, but they know for sure that there's glitches, cause a lot of guys send feedback.

And year after year after year, they're using the same graphic models and anims, just tweaking a bit the rosters and making cosmetic and/or useless changes (introducing the "superstar mode". And they never forgot to make new cameos or to change title screen 'til now, could have been easy to forget though).

But for reducing glitches : nada. Seems to me that they're even increasing (look at the game for 5mns in demo mode and see how the QB do passes behind the back : never heard of a Aaron Brooks mode in '06).

Good game though, and waiting for the Xbox 360 to see the so-called "revolutionary" version :sarcasm: .

I'm afraid that EA and his exclusive licence slowly kills the game ( :( NFL 2k6) ...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan