Madden to NBC

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Madden joining NBC as game analyst

By CONNOR ENNIS, AP Sports Writer
June 15, 2005
NEW YORK (AP) -- John Madden will join NBC as a game analyst when the network begins televising its newly acquired Sunday night football package in 2006.

The network scheduled an afternoon teleconference with Madden to make the announcement.

``John Madden is the best analyst in the history of the National Football League and, in my opinion, the best analyst of any kind in sports television history,'' said Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics. ``John is much more than a football legend, he's an American icon.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Madden has spent the past three seasons teamed with Al Michaels on ABC's now-defunct ``Monday Night Football.''

``I have been doing this a long time and when I went to ABC to do 'Monday Night Football,' I thought I would finish my career there,'' Madden said. ``But when the NFL did this new television deal, I looked at 'NBC's Sunday Night Football' package, and I thought this really fits me well.''

Before joining ABC, Madden teamed with Pat Summerall to call Fox's lead game from 1994-2001. They were the top NFL announcing team on CBS for 13 seasons before that.

Known for his folksy style and his love of football's grit and grime, Madden has won 14 Sports Emmys.

The former Oakland Raiders coach -- he led them to a win over Minnesota in the 1977 Super Bowl -- has become a pop-culture phenomenon thanks in large part to the popularity of his video game ``Madden NFL Football.'' Since its initial release in 1989, the game has sold more than 43 million copies and become the No. 1 selling sports video game of all time.

NBC is reportedly paying $600 million for a six-year contract that will allow the network to broadcast the NFL's Sunday night game starting with the 2006 season. The Sunday night game was previously shown on ESPN, which will now televise the Monday night game.

NBC also gets two first-round playoff games and the Super Bowl in 2009 and 2012 as part of the deal.

Updated on Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 11:44 am EDT

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
O said:
``John Madden is the best analyst in the history of the National Football League and, in my opinion, the best analyst of any kind in sports television history,'' said Dick Ebersol, chairman of NBC Universal Sports & Olympics. ``John is much more than a football legend, he's an American icon.''

Good lord, get off your knees and take it to the Madden Cruiser.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Renz said:
Does that mean Mike Patrick, Paul McGuire and Theismann are going to be on Monday night?

I don't mind McGuire, but puh-leeeeese no more Theismann:barf:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Renz said:
Does that mean Mike Patrick, Paul McGuire and Theismann are going to be on Monday night?

Yes, but not untill 06. Assuming that group is still together.

Just in time to have the Cardinals on Monday night. :)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but who's doing Monday Night Football now?
No truth to the rumor that's it's gonna be: Adam Sandler, Bert Reynolds and Tucker Carleson...

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Ever looked at Al Michaels bottom teath. They are weird man. All yellow and fake looking.

DakotaCardsFan

Making time travel possible
Reaction score

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i quit watching sunday night football because of those three. they have to be the worst annoucer in the history of sports. worst than my spelling at times.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:
Really?! I don't care for Theismann or Mike Patrick, but McGuire actually makes me scream obsenities at the television - and once they get in here,:doi: it's over...

Here's an assessment of the SNF broadcasts that I pretty much agree with: http://underscorebleach.net/jotsheet/2004/12/espn-sunday-night-football

McGuire is basically a babbling idiot. Theismann is a unbearable blow hard. Mike Patrick does nothing but toss out cliches and raise his voice for a 4 yard pass by Brett Favre, for dramatic effect, and he so overdoes it it's like you're watching Gale Sayers juke 10 guys on a 100 yard kickoff return. They are the worst IMO. I usually watch those games with the sound off.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DakotaCardsFan said:
Really?! I don't care for Theismann or Mike Patrick, but McGuire actually makes me scream obsenities at the television - and once they get in here,:doi: it's over...

Yup,same here.McGuire is annoying as hell.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
McGuire is basically a babbling idiot. Theismann is a unbearable blow hard. Mike Patrick does nothing but toss out cliches and raise his voice for a 4 yard pass by Brett Favre, for dramatic effect, and he so overdoes it it's like you're watching Gale Sayers juke 10 guys on a 100 yard kickoff return. They are the worst IMO. I usually watch those games with the sound off.

Gotta agree with that assessment. I have no time for any of them. I just try and tune them out while watching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan