Making the hoops.ws league a keeper league

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The site doesn't include this feature but we could invent our own.

Since the commissioner has the power to login as anyone in the league it won't be too complicated to do.

We would basically agree on a few key rules.

We need to set a number of how many players you are able to protect. Probably 6-8 would be a good number.

The commissioner would have to save the rosters once the season ends and everyone needs to email him the guys he wants to protect.

So when the next season starts we set up the same leagues with the same participants. During the first 6-8 rounds the commissioner will draft the players so that every team gets the players it protected.

Then the draft continues like usual.

The only downside is that the worst team doesn't get a drafting advantange. But I think this would be really a fun thing to do and worth the time.

As the commissioner of the second league I would like to do that. It would be worth a try I think.

PS: The draft would be much quicker :))

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I don't agree that the solution to our problems is to make even more commitment required of the individual managers.

If we get the same 16 managers signed up for the '04-'05 league, let's consider it then.

You can't change the rules in the middle of the game, even though this concept seems to be lost on you in other respects as well. Do you think Gary Payton would have been drafted at #47 in a keeper league? Or that Stoudemire would have fallen so low?

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well the second league has made only 7 picks so far or something like that but I can see your argument.

On the other hand we'd still have enough time to start a seperate keeper league as long as we have enough guys interessted who we know are actively participating in the leagues every year.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
On the other hand we'd still have enough time to start a seperate keeper league

That's true. That is something to consider, although I wouldn't recommend it with 16 teams, because I think it's very unlikely that we have 16 committed managers even between the two leagues.

But it is a possibility, and you're right that a new league could be set up now in time for this season.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
I know we don't have 16 in the 2nd league. But I would definately be interested in a keeper league...:stupid:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I replied to the earlier post on the league board.

But it's pretty simple--but it would cost. It is counterproductive to do it the way slin is describing and not worth it.

But sites like commissioner.com automate everything. But it costs money. Spread amongst 16 people, though, it wouldn't be that much--maybe 10 bucks a person.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
You could even do Sadbox.com and make a private keeper league. again it would cost... Of course people would have to make a pre draft list or be at the draft.... That seems to be hard here.... LOL:stupid:

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Originally posted by wierwolf
I know we don't have 16 in the 2nd league. But I would definately be interested in a keeper league...:stupid:

We have 16 teams in league 2.

SweetD just didn't show up since the draft started which is unfortunate because I saw him logged in quite regularly before the draft startet.
So it surprised me that he must have forgotten it.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be in the minority here. If you do a keeper league and allow people to keep 6-8 players many of the managers who had losing teams are going to be unlikely to want to participate next season. I think the only way a keeper league would work well as if you only allowed each team to keep 3-4 players. That way the draft would be more interesting, and it would be possible to make a poor team better and much more competitive through the draft and free agency.

Joe Mama

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
I know in base ball and football keeper with 12 teams we keep 3-4. Plus they can't pick 2 players of the same postion. I never been in a Basketball keeper league.... It could be fun too....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
I must be in the minority here. If you do a keeper league and allow people to keep 6-8 players many of the managers who had losing teams are going to be unlikely to want to participate next season. I think the only way a keeper league would work well as if you only allowed each team to keep 3-4 players. That way the draft would be more interesting, and it would be possible to make a poor team better and much more competitive through the draft and free agency.

Joe Mama

That makes some sense. Maybe a rule that you can keep 4 players, and no more than 2 from the same position. So it would have to be 1 G, 1 F and 2 C, or 2G, 1 F, 1C. A keeper league is great because you can really customize EVERYTHING. Also keep in mind that even the worst team has a couple stars--maybe even a superstar on their team.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin

But sites like commissioner.com automate everything. But it costs money. Spread amongst 16 people, though, it wouldn't be that much--maybe 10 bucks a person.

I wouldn't mind paying for a real good keeper league if it is only like 10 bucks.

The problem is that most of the US based sites like nba.com shop and others are only giving you the option to pay with your credit card and I only have a normal master card and not planning on getting a credit card.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
Slin Slin... I am sure the 2nd league will be competitive once the season starts. I am just used to all or most of the managers to be present on draft day.. You even said that if anyone had a problem to contact you... Either way It should still be competitive once everything starts.... I just feel like nagging a bit....LOL

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
I wouldn't mind paying for a real good keeper league if it is only like 10 bucks.

The problem is that most of the US based sites like nba.com shop and others are only giving you the option to pay with your credit card and I only have a normal master card and not planning on getting a credit card.

There are ways to do it--someone else could pay, for example. If you were serious, then you could do it.

fordronken

Reaction score
Since it woud have to be a smaller league, I say we base the decision on who gets to be in it on the time left on their current draft clock.:p

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Heh.

The problem is that things like this will always happen. It is human nature, at least for some people, to say that they are really interested in an idea when it is first presented, only to lose interest shortly thereafter.

So, to those in the "first" league: In case you were wondering why I made you wait so long and jump through so many hoops, this is the reason. I wanted to avoid the people whose interest would last only a day or two. The strategy worked pretty well, as I'd say we have 14 out of 16 managers who are engaged and paying attention. Without taking such precautions, we'd be in an even worse situation. And it's all an investment in having a good season.

I think if we are serious about trying to do a hoops.ws keeper league, we should first pay attention to who really sticks with their team this time around. I don't want to enter into a long-term partnership with someone who's going to forget all about it within another month or two.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played all last year until the last week. When the Joe Mama luck train destroyed me.

:thumbup:

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Greetings All. I'm fairly new to this site, however, I have been reading posts on it the last couple of weeks.

I run several keeper leagues and it isnt that hard to do. Basically, you can just set up a free website for it and grab a free message board to conduct your business during the offseason. It's really not that hard to do.

You could get creative and actually make it a salary cap league. The possibilities are endless with keeper leagues and it's great fun. If you all would like some more information about it, please let me know.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I mentioned some interest in running a keeper league myself a few months ago, but got very little in response.

If we're serious about it, we have to be certain:

1) There is interest

2) We have a viable way to keep track of everything

The interest one is especially critical. I am in an NFL keeper league, and this year it's the only fantasy league I'm in--that allows me to devote more time to it. But we do go through a website to do it--all the statistics would be too hard to do by hand.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What happens if someone quits before the next season? Say I have Shaq on my team and i don't want to play in the next keeper season, who gets Shaq? I could see where this could get complicated real fast.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yuma
What happens if someone quits before the next season? Say I have Shaq on my team and i don't want to play in the next keeper season, who gets Shaq? I could see where this could get complicated real fast.

What would happen is that someone would be recruited to take over the team. The thing is, in a keeper league where we have to actually put 10 bucks (or whatever) in, that adds to the incentive for people to stay.

If you think you'd quit, then don't do it--it's your money. We could easily find someone to take your place--but you wouldn't get your 10 bucks back.

Reaction score
i would do it, don't have a credit card to pay though

but i still think it would be really cool 4 all us guys that cant afford 2 buy a real NBA franchise, we can own a fantasy one instead :D

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
this is my first fantasy league....but so far i am enjoying myself even if it is ridiculously slow.

Depending how this season goes, and how much I like it...I wouldnt be against participating in a keeper league, even if it did cost something.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
this is my first fantasy league....but so far i am enjoying myself even if it is ridiculously slow.

Depending how this season goes, and how much I like it...I wouldnt be against participating in a keeper league, even if it did cost something.

Lemme give you kind of a rundown of how my football league has gone... Keep in mind it is football, but the concepts are basically the same. Skkorp is in the same league, so he knows a little bit about it too.

This was a free league, so we were open to experiment a bit. The scoring system was pretty complicated, but you can pretty much do whatever you want--of course, if you use a website (recommended) you MAY be limited--most of the time you won't be though.

Basically, the entire league was at first conducted without a website, the draft was done entirely on a message board. Of course, all our owners are totally into it an we had little or no problem during the draft.

After that was done, there was a free agent rule in place where instead of just picking up guys, free agents were auctioned based on contract value.

That is a big deal with our league--contract value. There's a salary cap, a minimum, signing bonuses, anything you can think of, we thought about it at some time or another. It gets a little complicated, but it doesn't have to be. Things are a little chaotic when you start, but after that, things go pretty smoothly.

At the beginning of this year, we had our first rookie draft--the draft was a few rounds long and we only drafted rookies--like in the NFL regular draft. This is because we didn't do retentions in this league--if we signed a guy to a 6 year contract--we kept the guy for 6 years unless we traded him or waived him, in which case we'd still have to pay his salary and it would go against our cap.

It's a fun league, although I have in times past inquired about making it less complicated. We start something like 16 players any given week and have as many as 40 players on the roster--the regular roster has 34 players, and then there is a "practice squad", which basically can have up to 6 players who DON'T affect your salary cap numbers, but you can't start them either, kind of like an IR (even though there is one of those too). Once a player from a practice squad is brought up, they are ineligible to return. There are other rules with it, but that's the crux of it.

This is basically what we do, but there still is a lot more stuff to it. The point is that you can customize it to your liking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05