Marion's value?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion is the most common name assosciated with trades on this board. I don't want him to go...but that is just me.

It was a long held and possibly correct view at the time that Marion's contract had negative trade value.

In light of the new market for free agents (IE huge salaries), the possible doom of the luxury tax, and the real lack of all-star caliber free agents...

Has Marion's value changed? I believe it has. I really think NBA GMs are anticipating the elimination of the tax next year and are spending accordingly.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Has Marion's value changed? I believe it has.

I agree -- and the addition of Nash should also help. But I still believe that the Suns are trying to trade him, whether that's a good idea or not.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
dbUNIT16 said:
Trade him, he's inconsistant... get something good back though.
:shrug: I guess he did have one off year?

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
dbUNIT16 said:
Trade him, he's inconsistant... get something good back though.

Joe Johnson is inconsistent. Marion has been the most consistant person other than Amare.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
Joe Johnson is inconsistent. Marion has been the most consistant person other than Amare.

Marion's main problem early in the season was that he could not hit jump shots and was especially bed shooting the three. In previous years. He was a decent three point shooter in 2001-02 (39.3%) and 2002-03 (38.7%).

Describing Shawn as inconsistent is curious because he still shot 44% from the field, which is respectable and still grabbed 9.3 rpg (down from 9.5 rpg when he was playing a lot of PF).

I think the problem with Shawn is that he isn't pretty. He has a really ugly shot and cannot shoot when covered. Somehow it just doesn't seem possible that he manages to put up very solid stats because he can't make impossible accrobatic shots. He needs to be open to hit his shots.

I think he will be be open with the wide open offense the Suns will run this coming season. What is more exciting is that the alley oop pass will be back.

Mad Psyentist

Reaction score
To throw in my two cents, I think it's terrible how people have turned against Marion in general. I admit to wanting a center just as bad as everyone else, but I still see him as a top-level player that most teams would kill to have.

I'm sure if he was a free agent right now, teams would be tripping over themselves to sign him to a huge contract similar to the one he has now(including the suns) especially since he gives you almost 20 and 10 at the sf spot. I mean, come on now...the guy was drafted by the suns, plays with a high level of effort every game, isnt injury-prone, and this is also a guy that wants to be here...all of this should mean something.

Its obvious that someone might have to go and there is a good chance that itll be Marion, but I think its ridiculous when fans start assuming we should trade him for expiring contracts or low-level centers. I think Marion deserves a lot more respect than that. Just wait...once he ends up on another team, everyone is gonna understand what he really brought to this team and regret the day he got traded.

P.S.- (the only suggested trade that even comes close to being reasonable would be a marion for glenn robinson + dalembert, but i still think we would be getting ripped off a bit...yes, i believe marion is that good even though hes only a sf)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mad Psyentist said:
To throw in my two cents, I think it's terrible how people have turned against Marion in general. I admit to wanting a center just as bad as everyone else, but I still see him as a top-level player that most teams would kill to have.

I'm sure if he was a free agent right now, teams would be tripping over themselves to sign him to a huge contract similar to the one he has now(including the suns) especially since he gives you almost 20 and 10 at the sf spot. I mean, come on now...the guy was drafted by the suns, plays with a high level of effort every game, isnt injury-prone, and this is also a guy that wants to be here...all of this should mean something.

Its obvious that someone might have to go and there is a good chance that itll be Marion, but I think its ridiculous when fans start assuming we should trade him for expiring contracts or low-level centers. I think Marion deserves a lot more respect than that. Just wait...once he ends up on another team, everyone is gonna understand what he really brought to this team and regret the day he got traded.

P.S.- (the only suggested trade that even comes close to being reasonable would be a marion for glenn robinson + dalembert, but i still think we would be getting ripped off a bit...yes, i believe marion is that good even though hes only a sf)

It was only remotely feasible if the Sixers signed Blount, but he re-signed with Boston. Young centers that look like they can play tend to get overvalued (Dalember has only had one good season) and it is extremely unlikely the Sixers would move him to take on Marion's contract.

Finances do matter. As it stands now, the Sixers will continue to have a salary structure of $59 million next season even after Robinson's contract expires. Add in Marion and they end up over $70 million. Even without the luxury tax, this is pretty bad for a team with 33 wins in the East.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How about McKie, MacCulloch, Dalembert for Marion?

MacCulloch's deal will be off the books in January of 2005.

I still don't think that PHI would do this deal but that's better for them than including Robinson.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I never really doubted Marion's value.

I love his game, but would easily sacrifice him if a deal came up where our team got better. I think the Suns brass hold a similar position right now.

The main beef I have with him is he doesn't play the way he is supposed to. He has gotton in the habbit of sitting ont he perimiter, and avoiding contact. If he would get ove rthe fear of being hurt again, he would be one of the top 15 players inthe league. No doubt about it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I love his game, but would easily sacrifice him if a deal came up where our team got better. I think the Suns brass hold a similar position right now.
This is my take, as well. It's too bad Marion never developed a better outside game. I think he would be an All-Star 2-guard. He's a decent small forward, but his lack of height will always be held against him in the ever growing NBA.