McCown Starting report, correction

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]A MODIFICATION

On May 20, we published a report stating there was a certain segment of the Cardinals organization that thought Josh McCown would give Kurt Warner a real push for the starting job. Since then, we've heard from people connected to the Cardinals saying the team believes Warner is throwing the ball as well as he did in his heyday with the Rams. The Cardinals think Warner was the offseason's biggest free-agent steal, and that he's capable of having an MVP season playing in an offense that is strikingly similar to the one the quarterback ran in St. Louis.

The bottom line, though, is this: The Cardinals are fortified at the quarterback position. Warner is the favorite, McCown the challenger, and we have our first quarterback battle brewing.

[/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica] http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/8498274

Seams like they got the names mixed up. :D

Nice to here Warner is doing well though. MVP season, wow I can't wait.
[/font]

Last edited:
OP
OP
CardinalLaw

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
For all you too lazy to click the link there was also this about LJ.

L.J.'S OPTION PLAY

Less than a week after the Cardinals released him, offensive tackle L.J. Shelton is finding that plenty of other teams want him. The Bears brought him in for a visit today; the Bears would like Shelton to play guard. From Chicago, Shelton is scheduled to go on to Kansas City, which wants him to play right tackle. From Kansas City, it's on to Jacksonville, which wants Shelton for depth all across its line. And then, it's on to the team that might need Shelton most -- Houston.

First, the Texans made a major run at free-agent left tackle Orlando Pace. Once they failed to land him, they turned back to left tackle Seth Wand. Then, when the Texans convened for on-field drills today, they had moved Wand to left guard and Chester Pitts to left tackle. Last week, the Texans also signed veteran free agent Victor Riley, who can play left or right tackle. But for the right price, the Texans would love to add Shelton to protect David Carr's blind side. Shelton wants to play left tackle. And if that's the key factor, he could wind up in Houston.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
So thats 4 teams looking at him.

1 wants him to play gaurd.
1 wants him to play RT.
1 Wants him to be their main backup.
And only 1 Wants him to play LT, Maybe.

Interesting.

And I guess Buffalo really didnt want him after all.

Last edited:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The thing I am concerned about is our depth on the OL this year. What if somebody gets hurt? Shelton gave us depth. Expensive depth but quality depth nonetheless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
seems denny was at least somewhat right with this one, huh boys? no one really trusts lj's skills enough to scramble after him for LT.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
So thats 4 teams looking at him.

1 wants him to play gaurd.
1 wants him to play RT.
1 Wants him to be their main backup.
And only 1 Wants him to play LT, Maybe.

Interesting.

And I guess Buffalo really didnt want him after all.

Maybe they aren't interested just to save face. They said the coaching staff really didn't want him when the deal fell through and if they go after him now, they lose credibility.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
seems denny was at least somewhat right with this one, huh boys? no one really trusts lj's skills enough to scramble after him for LT.
No, but I don't think that's what the LJ supporters wanted him here for (I know I didn't). I wanted him for depth along the line (I guess that includes backing up big at LT)--or a starter at G.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Maybe they aren't interested just to save face. They said the coaching staff really didn't want him when the deal fell through and if they go after him now, they lose credibility.

I don't think so. They could say, "We really did want him, we just wanted to force the Cards to release him without us giving them a pick."

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I don't think so. They could say, "We really did want him, we just wanted to force the Cards to release him without us giving them a pick."

Of they could have contacted him and been told to get lost.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rocco said:
Of they could have contacted him and been told to get lost.

That's what I would do if I was Shelton after the comments Donahoe made.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
back to JM

This just poted at Foxsports

Elevators: Bennett, Boston, and the return of Ricky
Story Tools: Print Email
Gregg Rosenthal /
Posted: 4 hours ago

The rankings are set. The Draft is mocked. The very last Whizzinator joke has been squeezed out.

Three and half months from Week One, the RotoWorld.com annual magazine is at the printers. We couldn't possibly be more ready for the 2005 season, and it's not yet Memorial Day.
So what should the football junkie do? Follow the ebb and flow of minicamp practice reports, of course. Unlike the dried powder found in Onterrio Smith's bag, fantasy value is fluid — 12 months a year. With the first round of camps out of the way, let's look at the top 15 winners and losers from the spring season thus far. We'll start with the winners today, losers tomorrow.

Going up
1. Michael Bennett, MIN RB — Onterrio Smith's impending suspension places Bennett squarely atop the Vikings depth chart at running back. We only need to look at Bennett's 2002 numbers (1,647 total yards, 6 TDs) to see his upside. He's climbed our running back rankings, but still remains outside the top 30 at his position. Just remember that Bennett has missed 13 games over the last two seasons and remains one of the biggest injury risks in football. He also wasn't particularly good when healthy last season. Bennett is currently worth a mid-round pick, but don't reach. Bennett has carried the ball more than 15 times in a game only twice in the last two seasons.

2. David Boston, MIA WR — Boston's NFL odyssey is back in Miami, not exactly a safe harbor for league deviants. Sans steroids, maybe Boston will chill out and live up to his potential. The Dolphins believe he's hit rock bottom and learned from his mistakes. While that remains to be seen, Boston is healthy and back on the fantasy radar. In Miami's offense, we'd still only draft him as a WR4/5 in fantasy leagues. But expect him to start over Marty Booker.

3. Mewelde Moore, MIN RB — See Michael Bennett. With Onterrio Smith out of the picture, Moore is only a Bennett injury away from carrying the load. Moore led all NFL running backs in yards-per-carry as a rookie and averaged 175 total yards a game in his three starts last season. The Tulane grad is one of our favorite fantasy reserves. Perhaps not big enough to ever be a "volume" running back, his receiving skills should make him valuable in points-per-reception leagues. Think Brian Westbrook.

4. Ricky Williams, MIA RB — Was there ever any doubt? Those Bikram classes won't pay for themselves. Before we blindly inhale the latest Ricky news, just keep in mind that Week One is nearly four months away. That should be good for three trips to India, a Lenny Kravitz World Tour, plus finals at the College of Ayureveda – plenty of time to flake. If he does return, Ricky will have to serve a four-game suspension and will likely be behind Ronnie Brown on the depth chart. He's still a late-round fantasy pick.

5. Josh McCown, Cardinals QB — An overlooked NFL Network report last week claimed McCown has impressed Cardinals coaches this offseason and is a legit contender to start in Arizona. The restricted free agent has taken Kurt Warner's signing as a challenge and knows it is do-or-die time for his career. Nothing Dennis Green does is a surprise anymore, and Warner has hardly looked like a world beater the last three seasons. With Warner also on a one-year deal, keep a close eye on Cardinals camp.

6. Samie Parker, Chiefs WR — One of our favorite sleepers before the Chiefs decided to dump Johnnie Morton, Parker now has a chance to start in Kansas City. Kansas City desperately needs youth and speed at the wideout position and Parker fits the bill. Watch camp closely, because any starter in Kansas City has huge fantasy upside.

7. Gus Frerotte, Dolphins QB — It didn't take coach Nick Saban long to admit Frerotte is the favorite to start in Miami because of his familiarity with coordinator Scott Linehan's offense. It's doubtful the team sees A.J. Feeley as a long-term answer, so we bet they play it safe with the veteran Frerotte to open the season.

8. LaBrandon Toefield, Jaguars RB — With Fred Taylor hurting, Toefield currently sits atop the Jaguars depth chart at running back. Rookie Alvin Pearman is a candidate to split carries if Taylor's injury stretches into the season, but Toefield has fantasy value regardless. We couldn't say that a few months ago.

9. Anquan Boldin, Cardinals WR — Next to Ed Reed, Boldin may be the most underpaid player in football. If anyone had a reason to hold out, it was him. That's why we breathed a sigh of relief when this Drew Rosenhaus client reported to work without a new contract. In points-per-reception leagues, Boldin provides top five upside at a bargain price following an injury-marred 2004 season.

10. Robert Ferguson, Packers WR — Lasik surgery has cleared up the vision problems that have plagued Ferguson in the past. Showing no signs of damage following the serious neck injury that ended his 2004 season, Ferguson showed up to camp with a desire to be the team's number one receiver. It's not as outrageous as it sounds. The Packers receiver corps is a fluid one. Different wideouts step up every season and Brett Favre would love to reward Ferguson for his comeback. Favre loves Ferguson's toughness. If Javon Walker's hold out stretches into camp, Ferguson should climb draft lists.

11. Arnaz Battle, 49ers WR — Emerging as a legit candidate for a third-year leap, this former sixth-round pick is currently atop the receiver depth chart in San Francisco. He only has to beat out Derrick Hamilton and P.J. Fleck to stay there. Rashaun Woods is currently buried. If he starts, Battle will play the featured "Z" receiver role in the new 49er offense. He'd be the favorite to lead the team in receptions in that spot.

12. Brandon Jacobs, Giants RB — This 267 pound freak of nature had all the Giants beat writers giggling like school girls after his impressive work at minicamp. Tom Coughlin expects Jacobs to take over short-yardage duties and thinks he could grow into a bigger role in the future. He could post TJ Duckett-lite numbers. Jacobs is also savvy, choosing to wear Ron Dayne's jersey number. A riding lawnmower would look quick in comparison to Dayne.

13. Justin Gage, Bears WR — Like Arnaz Battle, Gage is an under-the-radar candidate for a third-year leap. The big-bodied receiver did not have a role in Terry Shea's ill-fated spread offense last season in Chicago, falling to fourth on the depth chart. But new coordinator Ron Turner only took a few weeks before naming Gage the starter. Gage has similar skills to new running partner Muhsin Muhammad. He's tough and has excellent mid-air ball skills. If he holds off Bernard Berrian for the starting job, Gage looks like a fine flier pick.

14. William Green, Browns — Expected to be released by now, Green is playing his way back into the Cleveland rotation. The new Browns brass is reportedly impressed with his work ethic and potential. Perhaps they were only talking up Green to force Reuben Droughns to show up to workouts. Only Romeo Crennel knows. Still, Green's presence could dull the upside of Lee Suggs and Droughns this season.

15. Kyle Orton, Bears — Chicago's coaching staff can't shut up about the potential of this fourth-round pick. Orton is only worth a look in keeper/dynasty leagues, but he does have the benefit of playing behind a shaky starting QB that was not drafted by the current staff. He could end up playing sooner than later.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
PR dept is on the ball

A MODIFICATION

On May 20, we published a report stating there was a certain segment of the Cardinals organization that thought Josh McCown would give Kurt Warner a real push for the starting job. Since then, we've heard from people connected to the Cardinals saying the team believes Warner is throwing the ball as well as he did in his heyday with the Rams. The Cardinals think Warner was the offseason's biggest free-agent steal, and that he's capable of having an MVP season playing in an offense that is strikingly similar to the one the quarterback ran in St. Louis.
============================================================
As the sales of Warner jerseys and season tickets started to slump after last week's report, somebody realized this ain't no way to promote improvement by emphasizing the same old, same old at QB. Nice recovery, but please avoid sending the mixed signals in the future.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I don't see what the report should have to do with anything, along with the one saying McCown could wind up starting. It's early...who knows who's gonna be starting...my money's on Warner, but hey, if McCown out plays him, then so be it. I just want the best guy for the job in there.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
If McCown starts then Kurt Warner would have to be dead.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The NFL reporter Allen Shepter%$#@ (whatever his name is) said on NFL total access that JM has impressed the cards brass in the mini camps. Take it for what its worth, could just be spewing what he has read too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan