McCown

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
fanball.com said:
Physically, there's a lot to love about McCown. He's tall and well-built, has a strong arm, and runs very well. However, Josh hasn't been able to perform consistently at the pro level, which suggests that he's still learning the game. He's been ripped for leaving the pocket too soon, but that should be a problem that the Cardinals can correct. Lastly, despite spending months in Arizona, Josh seems to be unable to pick up a tan.
why is everyone sold on Josh? The feeling I get from reading everything is that he is the man, he will get it done... where is the back up for that??? I am hoping that everyone but me is correct but in my opinion this is our weakest link... Please fix this opinion for me... Input???

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Denny Green is sold on Josh. That and the way Josh looked and played in his last three games last year and the way he looked in mini-camp, collectively give reason for optimism.

Some might say - and they often do - what if that comeback against Minnesota hadn't happened? Would we still be as high on McCown?

Many of us wouldn't. But the comeback did happen. You can't discount it.

OP
OP
CardFan67

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
mdamien13 said:
Just cause the guy can't get a decent tan is no reason to hate on him.
The tan was not my point of view and I probably should have deleted that portion of the quote... I did find it odd that it was the focus of a supposed legit article...

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
why is everyone sold on Josh?
  1. Because Dennis Green is and he is a far better judge than I
  2. Because he looks reallll good in practice

OP
OP
CardFan67

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Denny Green is sold on Josh. That and the way Josh looked and played in his last three games last year and the way he looked in mini-camp, collectively give reason for optimism.

Some might say - and they often do - what if that comeback against Minnesota hadn't happened? Would we still be as high on McCown?

His stats, including the Minn game were not spectacular, or even better than just good... I was at the Minn Game and had a great time, enjoyed it more than I can even describe, I would honestly rank it as one of my most enjoyable experiences in my life... But... in week 15 he ran for a little under a quarter of his total yardage... no TD's and 1 INT... Week 16 wasn't much better... week 17 against Minn was much improved but still did not sell me... I like the guy, he has great heart, but I was hoping for someone to point out the diamond in the rough that I have just overlooked... If weeks 15, 16 and 17 are what we are going to be working on for next year with Josh as the QB I think we are in real trouble...

Note: I do like McCown more than I liked Plummer...

OP
OP
CardFan67

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
nidan said:
  1. Because Dennis Green is and he is a far better judge than I
  2. Because he looks reallll good in practice
If that is all I have to go with, I guess I will take it, I have gone on far less for many, many years... I just have a hard time swallowing the idea that all of you true fans are sold too...

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Famous last words....

How many times we heard that about Cardinals QB's? :rolleyes:
I notice that you fail to comment on my first and most important point. Also would you rather he look bad in practice ?

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
nidan said:
I notice that you fail to comment on my first and most important point. Also would you rather he look bad in practice ?

Your answer to the question "why is everyone sold on McCown?" was 1. Because DG is a better judge than I and 2. He looked good in practice.

What I am saying is how many times have we heard that? Thats all.

I agree with your first point, and that is the ONLY reason why I am not on this board every other day starting a new thread on why this team needs to draft a QB at #3. I think they do, if for no other reason (which there are plenty), then to have a back up plan and not fall into the 'Plummer Trap"

As far as your second point, it doesnt matter one single bit how he looks in mini camp in March. Bad or good.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ok

He's big( hard to bring down unless it's a full tackle), got a good arm, mobile and can make things happen when there's nothing there, was starting to see the field better at the end of the season, believes in himself,, has fun doing what he's doing, pretty accurate, just a baby(experience is going to go a long way with this kid), is a good field commander, has the respect of the guys in the huddle!
P.S. I think Parsons can really push him because THAT kid has alot of "raw" talent.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard some comments on comparisons to Jake from knowledgable source (Jake predates ASFN media access).

From what I have heard Josh compares very favourably with Jake and the source appears to be both credible and knowlegable.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

You know, if OJ Simpson hadn't played against the Patriots twice in '73 he wouldn't have gotten near 2,003 yds.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a football guy so I really don't know much, but for what it's worth IMO Josh looks to be the best by far.

OP
OP
CardFan67

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
He's big( hard to bring down unless it's a full tackle), got a good arm, mobile and can make things happen when there's nothing there, was starting to see the field better at the end of the season, believes in himself,, has fun doing what he's doing, pretty accurate, just a baby(experience is going to go a long way with this kid), is a good field commander, has the respect of the guys in the huddle!
P.S. I think Parsons can really push him because THAT kid has alot of "raw" talent.
Did not sell me but helps, that is for sure.... thanks... :)

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Put it this way. Alot of us would like to see the Cards draft Eli or Ben (or Rivers). Apparently, it isn't going to happen. Given Denny Green's track record with being able to win with many different QBs it is a little easier to accept than if some of our former coaches were saying the same thing.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
The tan was not my point of view and I probably should have deleted that portion of the quote... I did find it odd that it was the focus of a supposed legit article...

When I read it , I immediately thought the writer had a sense of humor and said it tongue in cheek. Shouldn't get too serious about this stuff and he didn't.

I see no reason why Green shouldn't like what he sees in Josh. Just a smaller version of Daunte. Big, mobile, strong arm. Raw talent. If both those guys calm their games down, good things will happen. Only knock on Daunte now is that he still forces balls occasionally. Josh could be a version of Daunte. :shrug:

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
that was mccown first three starts in the nfl. people can't expect McCown to play like payton manning. what McCown did show was he can make a big play when the game is on the line. plus the cardinals were competitive when mccown was the qb. he spread the ball around to different recievers. he also protected the ball. now i'm not saying mccown going to strike fear in defenses, but he will be competitive and protecting the football. remeber the cardinals were a +8 on turnovers when mccown was starting. when blake was starting the cardinals were a -18 on turnovers. this is probally the biggest reason why mccown is starting.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
jstadvl said:

Ok allow me to post the other side to your view :D

1. Mobile, and can make things happen when nothing is there? True, but he also takes way too many hits and runs when he should be looking for his receivers. Still has a sever case of happy feet!

2. Seeing the Field better? See point 1

3. Pretty Accurate? Career completion percentage of 55%, last year 57%. By Comparison, Donovan McNabb, who is regarded as one of the least accurate starting QB's in the league has a career percentage of 57%, last year 57.5%

4. Field Commander? How so? Had Emmitt not called TO before the last play against Minnesota that 'Miracle Catch' wouldnt have even happened!

Some things I can agree with you on, but overall he hasnt shown me anything yet in the way of being a Franchise QB!

:wave:

Jim O

Reaction score
CardFan67 said:

It is kind of hard to take a writer seriously when he includes that last line. I mean...look at Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason. They were pretty good but had horrible tans. Simms and Esiason paved the way for QB's with horrible tans! :D

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The franchise QB model in building NFL teams is outdated. The Colts & Eagles have their franchise QBs that are going to severely bind their financial situation for years to come (i.e. Colts can only resign either James or Harrison after this year). Build a defense and a running game and plug in a QB that won't turn the ball over while passing to a playmaker at WR; that's how you win consistently in the NFL in the 21st Century.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
that was mccown first three starts in the nfl. people can't expect McCown to play like payton manning.

Sure they can!

McCown's first three starts:

59 of 98 (60.2%) for 670 yards, 3 TDs, 2 INT's. 17 carries for 113 yards, 1 TD. Team record - 1 and 2. (17-20, 10-28. Average loss by 10.5 points.)

Peyton Manning's first three starts:

61 of 114 (53.5%) for 683 yards, 2 TDs, 8 INT's. 3 carries for 26 yards. Team record - 0 and 3. (15-24, 6-29, 6-44. Team points - 27. Average loss by 23.3 points.)

Yeah, that McCown guy sucks, we should ditch him. :rolleyes:

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
His stats, including the Minn game were not spectacular, or even better than just good... I was at the Minn Game and had a great time, enjoyed it more than I can even describe, I would honestly rank it as one of my most enjoyable experiences in my life... But... in week 15 he ran for a little under a quarter of his total yardage... no TD's and 1 INT... Week 16 wasn't much better... week 17 against Minn was much improved but still did not sell me... I like the guy, he has great heart, but I was hoping for someone to point out the diamond in the rough that I have just overlooked... If weeks 15, 16 and 17 are what we are going to be working on for next year with Josh as the QB I think we are in real trouble...

Note: I do like McCown more than I liked Plummer...

Well if you look at the Card QB ratings all the way back to the Tobin Era not many were outstanding. Tobin and McGinnis were both defensive minded, and I use that term loosely, coaches. There isn't any questioning Josh's arm strength, speed, size, the only thing in question is mental aspect. I assume at some point after Green took over he talked to Josh and decided he had the mental capacity necessary to run his system. Again, I'll trust Green decision on this considering his history.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
True, but he also takes way too many hits and runs when he should be looking for his receivers. Still has a sever case of happy feet!

I didn't see the 'happy feet' too often in his last game. Could be a case of him getting used to the NFL playing enviroment?

McCown taking hits is apart of learning when to get rid of the ball. Something that happens to all young QB's.

Career completion percentage of 55%, last year 57%. By Comparison, Donovan McNabb, who is regarded as one of the least accurate starting QB's in the league has a career percentage of 57%, last year 57.5%

This is laughable. Your comparing McCowns 3 starts to McNabb's entire year?

But I'm sure Josh would be flattered to be compared to a 'Franchise' QB such as McNabb.

Some things I can agree with you on, but overall he hasnt shown me anything yet in the way of being a Franchise QB!

Who says he has to be a 'Franchise' QB?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05