McCoy out for Year

Jim O

Reaction score
Cards Make Roster Moves (09-03)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sunday, September 3, 2006

:newcards:

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced that the team has been awarded its waiver claims on safety Hanik Milligan (San Diego) and cornerback Matt Ware (Philadelphia). Each was released by their respective teams yesterday when rosters were trimmed to 53.

To make room on the roster, the team has released cornerback Lamont Reid and placed wide receiver LeRon McCoy (thumb) on injured reserve.

Milligan (6-3, 200) appeared in all 16 games last season for the Chargers and led the team with 21 special teams tackle en route to his first Pro Bowl selection as a special teams player. Originally drafted by San Diego in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL Draft (188th overall) out of Houston, Milligan appeared in 30 games with the Chargers over the past three seasons collecting 36 special teams tackles. Last year, he became the first San Diego special teams player to ever be selected to the Pro Bowl.

Ware (6-2, 210) appeared in all 16 games last season for the Eagles contributing 15 tackles (11 solos) and 17 special teams tackles. Originally drafted by Philadelphia in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft (89th overall) out of UCLA, Ware appeared in 28 games in his first two seasons in the NFL collecting 26 tackles (14 solos) and 32 special teams tackles. He provided the Eagles with one of the their most memorable plays last season when he returned a blocked field goal 65 yards for the game winning points in a victory over San Diego.

In addition, the Cardinals have signed fullback John Bronson, wide receiver Carlyle Holiday, cornerback Darrell Hunter, center Shawn Lynch, wide receiver Micheal Spurlock, wide receiver Todd Watkins, and cornerback Justin Wyatt to the practice squad.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Should have cut Navarre, not Reid.

But, two nice signings.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Renz said:
I like the PS, although I didn't expect Lynch to make it.

I don't remember a single post from anyone predicting Lynch going to the PS.
This move is suprising.

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
Ware is a really strong p/u.

You gotta feel for some of these guys (Reid), one day after you make the 53 man roster your gone...... pretty tuff. I would have a real hard time sleeping at night if I were a back up in the NFL.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
why would San Diego release a Pro Bowl player?

Jim O said:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sunday, September 3, 2006

:newcards:

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals Football Club today announced that the team has been awarded its waiver claims on safety Hanik Milligan (San Diego) and cornerback Matt Ware (Philadelphia). Each was released by their respective teams yesterday when rosters were trimmed to 53.

To make room on the roster, the team has released cornerback Lamont Reid and placed wide receiver LeRon McCoy (thumb) on injured reserve.

Milligan (6-3, 200) appeared in all 16 games last season for the Chargers and led the team with 21 special teams tackle en route to his first Pro Bowl selection as a special teams player. Originally drafted by San Diego in the sixth round of the 2003 NFL Draft (188th overall) out of Houston, Milligan appeared in 30 games with the Chargers over the past three seasons collecting 36 special teams tackles. Last year, he became the first San Diego special teams player to ever be selected to the Pro Bowl.

Ware (6-2, 210) appeared in all 16 games last season for the Eagles contributing 15 tackles (11 solos) and 17 special teams tackles. Originally drafted by Philadelphia in the third round of the 2004 NFL Draft (89th overall) out of UCLA, Ware appeared in 28 games in his first two seasons in the NFL collecting 26 tackles (14 solos) and 32 special teams tackles. He provided the Eagles with one of the their most memorable plays last season when he returned a blocked field goal 65 yards for the game winning points in a victory over San Diego.

In addition, the Cardinals have signed fullback John Bronson, wide receiver Carlyle Holiday, cornerback Darrell Hunter, center Shawn Lynch, wide receiver Micheal Spurlock, wide receiver Todd Watkins, and cornerback Justin Wyatt to the practice squad.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duetto said:
Ware is a really strong p/u.

You gotta feel for some of these guys (Reid), one day after you make the 53 man roster your gone...... pretty tuff. I would have a real hard time sleeping at night if I were a back up in the NFL.

I'm guessing the remaining spot on the practice sqaud is being held for Reid.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I'm guessing the remaining spot on the practice sqaud is being held for Reid.

Yeah, if he makes it past waivers.

Last year he was signed by the Jets after we cut him in the 53-man reduction. The Jets let him go and we re-signed him to the PS squad, and he was moved to the permanent roster due to injuries.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Jim O said:

Is McCoy available during the regular season now, or is he out for the season?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Is McCoy available during the regular season now, or is he out for the season?
Done for the season. I think they could've have put him on the PUP list like Cincy did with Chris Perry and he would miss the first 5 or 6 games. I'm not sure of the PUP list rules and if that coulnts as a roster spot but there must be some conditions or , i think, that would have been the way they would've gone.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Done for the season. I think they could've have put him on the PUP list like Cincy did with Chris Perry and he would miss the first 5 or 6 games. I'm not sure of the PUP list rules and if that coulnts as a roster spot but there must be some conditions or , i think, that would have been the way they would've gone.

If I correctly remember Joeshmo's explantion McCoy couldn't have been put on the PUP list since he was listed at the beginning of TC.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like we're only going with four WRs. And, with Caryle Holiday, Watkins and Spurlock on PS! Four seems a bit short for the first team, gamewise. Or, does that tell you we're going to be running a lot.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Going with only 4 WR is too risky. I don't understand the move.
This is some what of a gamble but they have plenty of depth on the PS. Only if a ton of injuries occur :stick: in a game would this be an issue.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
az1965 said:
Going with only 4 WR is too risky. I don't understand the move.

Maybe when Lienart is healthy we will release Narrave and move a WR from the practice squad to the active roster.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prediction, Holiday will move up to the active roster - The Cards could figure to keep him on the PS and then bring him up should one of the top 4 get nicked, but I think they'd want to carry 5 going into the regular season, because, in a game (where we sometimes like to put out 4 receivers) if one got injured, we'd be limited without the 5th dude on the bench.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Prediction, Holiday will move up to the active roster - The Cards could figure to keep him on the PS and then bring him up should one of the top 4 get nicked, but I think they'd want to carry 5 going into the regular season, because, in a game (where we sometimes like to put out 4 receivers) if one got injured, we'd be limited without the 5th dude on the bench.

More often than not, the 5th guy is inactive unless he's a special teamer. Holiday is not, so you couldn't waste a spot on the active roster for him.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

Well, Pope could be the answer at no. 5, in a pinch.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05