Melvin may choose Lyon as closer to start season

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 1, 2005 12:00 AM

It turns out that naming the fifth starter in the pitching rotation isn't the only job left up for grabs.

Before Thursday night's game against the visiting Boston Red Sox at Bank One Ballpark, Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin hinted there is a chance Greg Aquino might not open the season as his closer.

That job could fall to fellow right-hander Brandon Lyon.

"He's probably the guy I'd look at the most and I think everyone would understand that with the spring he's had," Melvin said of Lyon, who had allowed only one run and four hits through 12 innings, with two saves.

That doesn't mean Aquino (2-0, 10.13 ERA prior to Thursday) is out of the mix. Melvin just wants to make sure Aquino is ready to handle the load come Monday, when Arizona meets the Chicago Cubs at BOB on Opening Day.

"We want to feel good about him and I don't want to run him out there in a role where he's uncomfortable, too," Melvin said. "We want him to be confident. We want our closer, on that particular day - Opening Day - to have some success and feel good about himself."

D-Day for No.5

Left-hander Michael Gosling had a solid outing in his final spring effort, limiting the Cubs' first-stringers to one run and five hits in four innings Thursday afternoon during a split-squad game in Mesa.

Gosling, who improved to 4-1 with a 3.23 ERA, has been dueling fellow lefty Brad Halsey (1-1, 4.50) for the No. 5 spot in the rotation. Melvin said a decision will be announced today.

"He's not making things any easier on us, that's for sure," Melvin said of Gosling. "Basically, it ends up coming down to a dead heat. . . . Both of them pitched with a lot of pressure on them the last several starts and it's good to see they both responded. Either one would be a good fit for us."

Gosling went 2 for 2 at the plate and joked that his first career two-hit game may tip the scales in his favor.

"I was thinking to myself, maybe my offensive production will put me over the top, but I doubt it," he said.

Short hops

Catcher Chris Snyder (bruised left thumb) will accompany the team to Albuquerque for its exhibition game Saturday against the Texas Rangers and could get at least a couple of at-bats.

• Brandon Webb isn't the only pitcher to give up his jersey number to a veteran. A week after Webb took No.17 and gave Shawn Estes No.55, reliever Mike Koplove gave up his No. 22 to center fielder Jose Cruz Jr. and will wear No. 76 - because of his passion for the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers.

• Outfielder Scott Hairston on starting the season at Triple-A Tucson instead of with the Diamondbacks: "It was hard for me, but you've got to move on.

"I know I'm ready to play at the major league level, there's never been a doubt about it in my mind, but that's not how it worked out. I'm just going to try my best to work my way up and be back here soon."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/special3/articles/0401dbacksnb0401.html