Miami Beats Houston and other stuff

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Heat 98 - Rockets 91
Celtics 107 - Lakers 94
Pacers 111 - Mavs 107

I can't remember a day in recent history when so many Western conference playoffs teams lost to Eastern conference teams - two of which appear on their way to the lottery. As it is, there are only 4 teams in the East with records over 500 compared to 8 teams in the West; but days like this will change those stats.

Here's the writeup of the Mavs loss:

http://www.nba.com/games/20071123/DALIND/recap.html

Granger’s 25 Set Pace for Indiana Win Over Dallas
Posted Nov 24 2007 1:46AM

You must be registered for see images
Pacers 111, Mavericks 107
Danny Granger and Jamaal Tinsley led the Pacers in holding off the Mavericks on Friday night.

Ron Hoskins/NBAE/Getty Images
Danny Granger led a balanced Pacers attack, scoring 25 points against the Mavs on Friday.

Indiana 111, Dallas 107
INDIANAPOLIS, Nov. 23 (AP) -- The Indiana Pacers weren't about to let another big first-half lead slip away.

After blowing a 25-point cushion against Denver earlier this season, the Pacers managed to hold off the Dallas Mavericks' second-half rally for a 111-107 victory on Friday night.

Danny Granger scored eight of his 25 points in the fourth quarter, Jamaal Tinsley added 24 points and Troy Murphy chipped in 18 for the Pacers (6-7), who won for the third time in four games despite playing without All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal.

"We are starting to come together as a team, and tonight we could see it,'' said Indiana center Jeff Foster, who finished with 10 points and 11 rebounds. "This was a big win and we've got to build on it.''
Dallas, which trailed by 16 points in the first half, tied it at 98 on Brandon Bass' basket with 5:48 left in the fourth quarter. The Pacers regained a 104-98 advantage later in the period, but the Mavericks scored the next four points to get within two.

"During a timeout, we said, 'Let's show what type of team we are right here,''' Granger said. "We took it from there down the stretch.''

Shawne Williams' free throw gave Indiana a 110-107 lead with 8 seconds left, and Foster knocked the ball away from Dirk Nowitzki on the Mavericks' ensuing inbounds play to secure the victory.

"When it came down to the end, they were able to get to the free throw line and we kind of sputtered,'' said Mavericks guard Devin Harris, who scored 24 points.

Nowitzki had 20 points and 11 rebounds, and Josh Howard finished with 19 points for the Mavericks (9-3), who had their five-game win streak snapped.

"We're making it tough on ourselves,'' Dallas guard Jason Terry said. "It takes a lot out of you to come back like that.''

The Pacers opened a 30-20 advantage late in the first quarter on Tinsley's jumper, but Dallas got five straight points from Terry to close out the period.

Indiana built the advantage back up to 41-25 early in the second quarter following Murphy's 3-pointer. The Mavericks answered with a 14-2 run to cut the deficit to four points with 5:09 left in the half, but the Pacers regained a 62-53 advantage heading into the break.

In the third quarter, Dallas trimmed an eight-point Indiana lead to 88-87 late in the period after Howard's two free throws, Terry's 3-pointer and Harris' pair of free throws.

"We felt like we had a great third quarter, and that got us back into the game, but in the fourth, I think we just ran out of gas,'' Harris said.
Granger said the win proves Indiana can play with some of the top teams in the NBA. The Pacers already have victories over three of the Western Conference's elite - Utah, New Orleans and Dallas.

"This could be a basis for ongoing games and a lot of wins,'' he said.

Notes: Murphy and Nowitzki each got technical fouls following a heated exchange of words with 9:19 left in the fourth quarter. Murphy was upset about a hard foul he received from Nowitzki on a drive to the basket. ... Mavericks coach Avery Johnson was ejected in the fourth quarter after picking up two technical fouls for arguing with referee Bennett Salvatore over a foul call. ... O'Neal missed the game with swelling in his left knee and lower leg. The six-time All-Star also sat out Wednesday's 105-93 victory in New Orleans. The timetable for his return is uncertain. ... Dallas G-F Devean George (left foot stress reaction) and G-F Eddie Jones (sore right leg) did not play. ... The Pacers snapped a four-game losing streak against Dallas.
Copyright 2007 by STATS LLC and Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and Associated Press is strictly prohibited

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I just watched a rerun of the houston heat game tonight at a bar. Good thing I had beer and ladies around me to distract from such a boring game. Both teams threw more bricks down than the great wall of china masons.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Houston gets a lot of love from the national media, but seem to be a long way from being an elite team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I can't say whether or not the pacers will be a lottery team. there is no excuse for dallas to lose to them, but they bearly beat them last year in OT. so maybe it's just the pacers that give them problems. It's weird. Overall dallas has a good record vs. the east, but it seems like none of their games vs. EC teams come easy(especially on the road). They play the bucks tonight and it almost always seems like their games vs. the bucks come down to the wire. that was a terrible officiated game last night that's for sure. I haven't seen so many poor calls in a game in a while.......and it wasn't just against dallas either. Bennett Salvatore is a jerk that's for sure.
as far as miami? you have to think that once wade and shaq get it going they will be a playoff.......not lottery team. if you were talking about the heat? a couple of years ago when they won their title....wern't they in danger of not making the playoffs? but they finished strong. don't sleep on that team. they already took boston to the limit and beat houston.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Heat are 3 and 9 this season (tied with the Knicks), so right now they look like a lottery team.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
I just watched a rerun of the houston heat game tonight at a bar. Good thing I had beer and ladies around me to distract from such a boring game. Both teams threw more bricks down than the great wall of china masons.

this game was on ESPN yesterday,
i got bored,
i watched wrestling instead.
:)

LV-Suns

Go Suns
Reaction score
bobcats almost had the celtics today
lucky 3 on the buzzer by allen

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The Heat are 3 and 9 this season (tied with the Knicks), so right now they look like a lottery team.
and the suns and mavs had a horrible start last year.......though not that bad. GS also had a horrible start this year and now they are winning games. The heat have never been a great regular season team of late, but with shaq and wade.....they can beat any team in the league on any given day. Like I said before, the year they won the title they had a bad regular season. If they get it going they will make the playoffs.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
and the suns and mavs had a horrible start last year.......though not that bad. GS also had a horrible start this year and now they are winning games. The heat have never been a great regular season team of late, but with shaq and wade.....they can beat any team in the league on any given day. Like I said before, the year they won the title they had a bad regular season. If they get it going they will make the playoffs.

Almost any team can beat any other team on a given night and any team with Wade is dangerous. But I'm not convinced their slow start is that surprising.

The Heat in 2005-06 did start slow, but not this slow. In any case, they had more talent than this year's team and the remaining guys like Shaq are notably older. Add in the notably disfunctional Ricky Davis and you have the ingredients for really underwhelming season in Miami.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Almost any team can beat any other team on a given night and any team with Wade is dangerous. But I'm not convinced their slow start is that surprising.

The Heat in 2005-06 did start slow, but not this slow. In any case, they had more talent than this year's team and the remaining guys like Shaq are notably older. Add in the notably disfunctional Ricky Davis and you have the ingredients for really underwhelming season in Miami.
The 2005-06 team midseason had some major problems. They wern't on pace to make the playoffs if I recall.
As far as this year yes you'd expect a slow start.......... wade missed some games......they won't win without him. It's a proven fact. Their biggest problems over the last few years have been injuries. They haven't been able to keep wade and shaq on the court. When they have been able to keep those two healthy for long periods of time......they've been very good. Now I agree with you that shaq is getting older and the rest of the team isn't good. However, I honestly believe if those two stay healthy they will make the playoffs in the east as a lower seed. that's a far cry from being a lottery team......but we'll see. In the east there isn't much of a gap between the lottery teams and the teams who are playoff contenders. boston was a lottery team now they suddenly look dominant.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boston was a lottery team now they suddenly look dominant.

Allen, Garnett and Pierce will do that for just about any team. I do not think the Celtics are a fluke and they rebuilt this possible Championship team in one off season. Maybe Red Auerbach is watching over them.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No my friend, Kevin McHale is watching over them :)

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
No my friend, Kevin McHale is watching over them :)

Amen to that. How many other GMs in this league would take a bunch of young scrubs on who will inevitably rank near dead last in the league... all while trading away the only reason to watch that team... all so your old teammate can have a blockbuster season.

Id love to see a McHale-Isiah franchise just so the NBA could have its first trainwreck based reality show.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser