Mike Mayock: "Brandon Flowers is best pure CB in the draft"

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mike Mayock originally had Flowers as his #1 but has since moved him to #5 because he believes teams will draft him lower because of his 40 time. That being said, last night on Path to the Draft, Mayock and Charles Davis agreed that Flowers is still the best pure corner in the draft in terms of toughness, ball skills, hands, run support, and instincts. The only thing holding him back from being a bonafide top ten pick is the 4.59 40 time.

They both agree that whoever gets this guy in the 2nd round will be getting one hell of a player. If he would have run a sub 4.5, he would be a top 10 pick.

Sounds like a Ty Law type to me.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
He's a first round talent for sure, but character is a concern. If the higher ups feel that everything checks out, I'd be happy with such a pick.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a hell of a singer too.

I've seen The Killers several times here in Vegas and he's pretty decent on the keyboards, also. :)

JTS

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
if we trade down could we get him and a kevin smith/jamall charles?

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's a first round talent for sure, but character is a concern. If the higher ups feel that everything checks out, I'd be happy with such a pick.

This is not the first time I heard that buzz. If I heard it then the whole world knows!! I seriously doubt he will make it to 50....his character stuff will also keep him from being a cardinal draft choice...but if he slips to the early second round some team will have picked up first round value in the second round.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i've heard him compared to Antoine Winfield who just happens to be my favorite CB in the NFL. If he plays at his level, he will be a steal for whoever gets him.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This is not the first time I heard that buzz. If I heard it then the whole world knows!! I seriously doubt he will make it to 50....his character stuff will also keep him from being a cardinal draft choice...but if he slips to the early second round some team will have picked up first round value in the second round.

I don't know about that. How does running 4.55 and 4.59 for a CB transfer to the NFL? Odds are you could take a couple flyers on guys like Wheatly later on in the draft and do just as well.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I don't know about that. How does running 4.55 and 4.59 for a CB transfer to the NFL? Odds are you could take a couple flyers on guys like Wheatly later on in the draft and do just as well.
Everyone likes Cason and his official combine time was 4.52.That's not a huge difference. I think Chris Gamble ran mid 4.5's as well and he played fast and could cover anyone coming out.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Everyone likes Cason and his official combine time was 4.52.That's not a huge difference. I think Chris Gamble ran mid 4.5's as well and he played fast and could cover anyone coming out.

And he's the Thorpe award winner. Yet he's pretty solidly in the top of the 2nd round. Maybe the Cards feel like Flowers is someone that should be there for them.

Personally I'd target Dre Moore or Laws in the 2nd or King and Porter among CB's

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
And he's the Thorpe award winner. Yet he's pretty solidly in the top of the 2nd round. Maybe the Cards feel like Flowers is someone that should be there for them.

Personally I'd target Dre Moore or Laws in the 2nd or King and Porter among CB's
I like Porter.I think he's the most underrated CB in the draft. I've seen him in round 3 lately. Godfey,from Iowa, is another guy who i think is underrated. Justin King, to me, is being overrated if you base him on his on the field play instead of pure athletic ability.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Gamble ran 4.45 at the Combine.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
The tape Mayock shows on Flowers is nice, it shows he's smooth and aggressiveness(I LIKE!) but WR can get behind him, and he hasn't shown he has catch up speed, which you must have in the NFL, when offensive coordinators game plan each week, finding the defenses weaknesses and a starting Corner who is slow sticks out like a sore thumb. He looks great except for the speed, which everyone mentions, but he could be a heck of a nickel back, and solid in run support. I wouldn't be against taking him in the 2nd, even if we took a CB in the first already, that'd solidify our biggest weakness and let us move on to DE in the 3rd :)

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I like Porter.I think he's the most underrated CB in the draft. I've seen him in round 3 lately. Godfey,from Iowa, is another guy who i think is underrated. Justin King, to me, is being overrated if you base him on his on the field play instead of pure athletic ability.

I am also in the front seat of the Tracy Porter bandwagon

Jonathan Stewart in the First, Tracy Porter in the 2nd and Cliff Avril in the third is pretty much my dream draft

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Godfey,from Iowa, is another guy who i think is underrated. Justin King, to me, is being overrated if you base him on his on the field play instead of pure athletic ability.

Godfrey might be a good player, but he's a project guy, not a day one starter.

pogoowner

Reaction score
As they said, Flowers will make an excellent cover-2 corner in the NFL. If you give him help over the top and let him go after the ball, good things will happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05