BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Minicamp kicks off in a positive way
Seth Polansky
azcardinals.com​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The weather couldn't have been better as the 2007 edition of the Arizona Cardinals hit the practice field for the first time. After just one session of the first day of voluntary minicamp, it was obvious these guys were ready to go. There was positive emotion spreading around like wildfire and it got everyone pumped up under the guidance of first-year head coach Ken Whisenhunt.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I was happy with the tempo," Whisenhunt said. "Obviously we had some mistakes. There were a lot of guys running around not knowing what they're doing. But I was very excited with the focus on getting out of the huddle and finishing plays. And that's a start." [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just about a full roster suited up. Whisenhunt said he would have been surprised if there were no-shows given the quality of players this team has. And as the practice wore on, the intensity picked up. Guys were fall around the ball and making plays. Just by the time the horn sounded to end the first session one would have thought this was a midseason practice. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The intensity overshadowed the fact there was a lot of rust to be shaken off after the team hasn't been on a field together since the new year and a whole new game plan has since been instituted. Whisenhunt said that he is going to be patient to a point. Everyone is learning this together. Even the coaches. Whisenhunt didn't even know where to stand at times on the field. As long as the progress is being made on time then there will be nothing to worry about. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But Eric Green summed it the best when he turned to Antrel Rolle on the sideline and said, "Man, I just need to get used to playing again." [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whisenhunt and the players were quick to point out that the first day was a success due in large part to the assistant coaches. Some came from Pittsburgh, but most were assembled from various teams in the league and they had the dubious task of getting these players fundamentally sound right off the bat. And that included strength and conditioning coach John Lott. Not only were the guys going over proper form at the onset, but they weren't getting tired as quickly thanks to the new strength program that was put in place last month. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I think they're good teachers. And I think they're fundamental technique coaches, which is truly what we're trying to emphasize," Whisenhunt offered. "Keeping your shoulders low, bending your knees, focusing on the ball, working on your drops as a quarterback. All those little things that I think sometimes get overlooked. And that's the kind of coach we want. Guys that are teachers, that are good motivators." [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QB Matt Leinart also gave opening-day kudos to the assistant coaches. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"You can already tell from Day 1 all the coaching that's going on. It's new, but they're on us and making us better." [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just because of where the changes were made and what terminology was altered, Whisenhunt said the defense was a little bit more on top of its game than the offense was. The offense is completely new while the defense only had a few wrinkles added. That unit seemed to be moving a bit faster. That is all part of defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast's approach to having guys fly all over the place to make the play. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With the recent signing of Ralph Brown, there were plenty of cornerbacks rotating in and out while safeties Adrian Wilson, Terrence Holt and Aaron Francisco saw plenty of field time. Also seeing a lot of playing time were the defensive ends and linebackers. As the team establishes the use of elements of the 3-4 defense, different personnel groupings were put out onto the field. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The important thing we're trying to accomplish this weekend as coaches is throw a lot at them," said Whisenhunt. "And it's not so much trying to make them fail and make mistakes, but make them understand how much they have to study and how much they have to work on. I think if you come in and make it too easy they'll get into the idea of 'we've arrived' or 'we're comfortable with what we're doing. We don't need to study as much.' From a standpoint of not physically, but mentally making it challenging for them they will get into the playbook and study it. We're going to throw as much at them as we can." [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It was a crash course on the first day with two sessions. It should be even more intense with two sessions on Saturday and one on Sunday. After this weekend the Cardinals will just have to wait and see who is chosen at the 2007 NFL Draft before getting back out there the second weekend in May. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Edge is back[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Running back Edgerrin James made his triumphant return to Tempe for minicamp after working out during the offseason in Florida. Whisenhunt noticed James was in great shape and was ready to go from the onset. He ran through his drills cleanly and was excited to be back out there. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I'm in my good years now. I've been waiting on these years for so long," he said. "That's why I've been taking good care of myself. I'm ready to crush some of the Hall of Famers. I've been waiting on this for a long time." [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]James will get his chance to shine with Whisenhunt's new emphasis on the run. He is coming off a 337-carry season and could be in store for a lot more handoffs. But his stats shouldn't come at the expense of the rest of the offense and shouldn't be forced if the other teams know what's coming. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"As long as they don't have nine in the box. If they have nine in the box, I'd have to talk to coach," James said jokingly. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He went on to add: "If the matchup is there, then I'm all for it. A lot of times last year we didn't have the matchup. (The other team) had more guys than we could actually block. We still ran into it sometimes. As long as it's the right situation, I'm all for it." [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With the famous gold teeth gone and the hair maybe a bit shorter, James looked serious as he got back to business. Although despite the appearance he said he is still Edge. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]As to the reports of an offseason knee surgery, James said it was nothing major. It was just a little swelling that was taken care of that he called "a scratch." James joked that he was hanging out at the clubs that night. And he also said if it was anything major he wouldn't have been out there practicing. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I hate standing around," James added. "When it's time to practice, I want to go out and practice hard. I remember the first time I wasn't able to … when I had the ACL. I had to just watch. That's tough right there, to sit out and watch." [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]James did some drills from behind a fullback and it didn't seem to affect him. He even mentioned it wouldn't be anything new. James ran behind a fullback while at the University of Miami and then had to adjust to the one-back set while in Indianapolis. Now the ninth-year pro is going to get back to his roots. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"He's a talented running back," Whisenhunt said. "He has very good vision. I think it's more a timing issue with Edgerrin. Certainly there will be some one-back things that he's more accustomed to. He is a very good NFL running back and I think he will adjust fine." [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Absentee notes[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only two players weren't in attendance at this minicamp: guard Milford Brown and wide receiver LeRon McCoy. Brown is getting married while McCoy was sat out for medical reasons. A recent physical turned up what might be fractures in his finger. He will be limited at this point.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.azcardinals.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=1638[/FONT]​

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just because of where the changes were made and what terminology was altered, Whisenhunt said the defense was a little bit more on top of its game than the offense was. The offense is completely new while the defense only had a few wrinkles added. That unit seemed to be moving a bit faster. That is all part of defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast's approach to having guys fly all over the place to make the play. [/FONT]

I usually stay in the background and lurk on these kinds of discussions - mostly because I didn't play football growing up (I'm a hoops guy primarily) - but couldn't this turn out to be a GOOD thing in the long run? The defense already being ahead of things (where the most issues lie), and potentially causing the offense to work harder to catch up and match the intensity of the D?

Just a thought. Feel free to blast me.
:D

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I usually stay in the background and lurk on these kinds of discussions - mostly because I didn't play football growing up (I'm a hoops guy primarily) - but couldn't this turn out to be a GOOD thing in the long run? The defense already being ahead of things (where the most issues lie), and potentially causing the offense to work harder to catch up and match the intensity of the D?

Just a thought. Feel free to blast me.
:D

I believe the D is always ahead at this time of year. Just not as complex as running an offense. We hear the same thing every year.