Mitch Mock V. 7.0

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. CAR: Cam Newton, QB, Auburn. Ron Riviera captures all the draft buzz in this his first draft as Carolina's HC.

2. DEN: D'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson. John Fox finds his version of Julius Peppers, which will aid and abet the team's conversion to the 43 defense.

3. BUF: Von Miller, OLB/DE, Texas A&M. His workouts will be freakish and stunning. Chan Gailey got as close a look at Miller as possible while coaching at the Senior Bowl and 100% trusts what he saw.

4. CIN: Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri. The Carson Palmer situation is too volatile at this point and something has to be done. Palmer will be gone wither this year or next and Gabbert becomes the heir apparent.

5. NE (trade with ARZ---NE obtains ARZ's #5 for NE's #17 & #33 picks): A.J. Green, WR, Georgia. The Pats land the big play WR they need and the only true #1 WR in this draft.

6. CLE: Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn. They just dumped Shaun Rogers and are delirious to find Fairley still on the board---and will have to hope they are not getting another head case.

7. SF: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU. Best DB in the draft going to a team that needs to revamp the secondary.

8. TEN: Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina. Fills one of their top needs.

9. DAL: Prince Amakumara, CB, Nebraska. Ditto.

10. WAS: Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama. Ditto.

11. HOU: Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri. Wade Phillips gets a player whose explosiveness reminds him of DeMarcus Ware.

12. MIN: J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin. Fits their mold.

13. DET: Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Fast riser in draft---could be this year's Devin McCourtey.

14. MIA: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St. Starts from day one.

15. STL: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama. Need pick and a good one.

16. JAX: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa. Nice complement to Alualu.

17. ARZ: Ryan Kerrigan, OLB/DE, Purdue. Nicknamed "Superman" by his coaches and teammates...set the Big Ten record for forced fumbles (14)...33.5 career sacks (2nd All-Time in Purdue history)---all-out effort player who brings much needed leadership. Will anchor the left side.

While I am very high on Justin Houston---the more I think about it---I realize that Kerrigan brings the kind of effort and leadership this defense needs. Kerrigan is more mature, is stronger at the point of attack and is more NFL ready. We need players on defense who show up every game and every snap. This kid is the epitome of that. Plus, because of his strength, he holds the edge...which is what you have to have these days in order to force a smaller pocket.

18. SD: Justin Houston, OLB, Georgia.

19. NYG: Anthony Castonzo, T, Boston College.

20. TB: Aaron Williams, CB, Texas.

21. SEA: Jake Locker, QB, Washington. They believe he will be a more athletic and dynamic version of Matt Hasselbeck.

22. IND: Derek Sherrod, T, Mississippi St. Sherrod---now that's a Colts' kind of name.

23. KC: Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA.

24. PHI: Gabe Carimi, T, Wisconsin.

25. NO: Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio St.

26. BAL: Nate Solder, T, Colorado

27: NE: Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor

28. ATL: Rahim Moore, S, UCLA

29. NYJ: Steve Wisnewski, G, Penn. St.

30. CHI: Tyron Smith, T, USC

31. PIT: Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois

32. GB: Devon House, CB, New Mexico

33. ARZ: Rodney Hudson, G, Florida St. Most athletic guard in the draft. Time to start drafting o-linemen who fit the system.

38. ARZ: Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona. Reminds me of Clay Matthews and with O'Brien Schofield can rush opposite Kerrigan.

69. ARZ: Nate Irving, ILB, North Carolina St. Love this kid's instincts and aggressiveness. Sneaky good in coverage as well.

102. ARZ: Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama. My favorite QB for the Cardinals in this draft because I believe he can be the most efficient in this offense.

133. ARZ: Virgil Green, TE, Nevada. Reminds me a little of Shannon Sharpe.

166. ARZ: Lawrence Wilson, SS, Connecticut. Great tackler. Always around the ball.

179. ARZ: Ryan Winterswyk, DE, Boise St. Good depth at 34 DE.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kudos for the effort and obvious knowledge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the next time the Pats trade up in the 1st rd will be the first.

If that does happen then I will be thrilled, especially since Gabby and Cam are already off the board.

Mitch, you sell me on Houston and now pass him by for a less athletic Kerrigan.

Personal preference but I want a LT drafted before a OG. Since it has been reported that the Cards are looking at OG's at the combine then you are on the right track. Is Hudson the 26 yr old, if so I'd rather go younger.

I think you know by now I don't want a QB drafted after rd1 but WTH do I know.

Love the depth and talent added at the LBer position.

Again, great job. Putting together one of these takes a lot of knowledge and work.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Watkins from Baylor is the 26/27 year old.

The only question I have is: why in the name of Jessica Alba's lucious mounds aren't the Packer taking Pouncey at 32.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The only question I have is: why in the name of Jessica Alba's lucious mounds aren't the Packer taking Pouncey at 32.

Because sometimes you fill like a nut, sometimes you don't. :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Cameron Hayward is going to get a big payday, since he's getting taken twice in the first round.

If we trade out of the #5 spot for only the #17 and #33, I'll be incensed.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
A for effort, but if it went down this way I would seriously throw up all over myself.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Hey Mitch, I appreciate the mock-up but I would be upset if the cards trade the potential of a Patrick Peterson/Robert Quinn for the combination of Ryan Kerrigan and Ryan Hudson.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nice work Mitch.... You really put your heart and soul into these. I enjoy reading them.

I have 3 issues with it though.

I would rather have Moffitt than Hudson.
Fairley will go earlier than that.
NE doesn't trade up IMO.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cameron Hayward is going to get a big payday, since he's getting taken twice in the first round.

If we trade out of the #5 spot for only the #17 and #33, I'll be incensed.

I've been looking at trades in the last couple of drafts and this seems to be pretty close. It is 130 points short on the draft pick value chart that I have but these charts have become a bit outdated.

If the new CBA is in place and the "slotting" is in place then I would think the value for early draft picks would increase since the money won't be outlandish. On the other hand if FA hasn't happened before the draft then what impact will that have on the value of draft picks this year?

I've read that draft picks would be valued more this year since teams will be looking to fill needs through the draft more then ever since FA might not happen and is a crap shoot anyway.

Given how the 1st 4 picks played out what would you do?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I've been looking at trades in the last couple of drafts and this seems to be pretty close. It is 130 points short on the draft pick value chart that I have but these charts have become a bit outdated.

If the new CBA is in place and the "slotting" is in place then I would think the value for early draft picks would increase since the money won't be outlandish. On the other hand if FA hasn't happened before the draft then what impact will that have on the value of draft picks this year?

I've read that draft picks would be valued more this year since teams will be looking to fill needs through the draft more then ever since FA might not happen and is a crap shoot anyway.

Given how the 1st 4 picks played out what would you do?

I'd take Nick Fairley and walk away feeling like I'd robbed a bank. Same thing I'd do if Da'Quan Bowers was still on the board, system be damned. I think you could get a better trade offer if Green, Fairley, and Peterson were all on the board still, and move down a couple of places.

Shoot, if you're sitting at #17 and Cam Newton is still on the board, you HAVE TO TAKE HIM. And if he's STILL there at #33 and the Cards take a pass, I'm going to drive to Hardy and Warner and burn that building to the ground. EDIT: Never mind, I forgot that the foundation of this mock is Cam Newton going #1 overall. Crazy.

You know... I would take Jimmy Smith with that #33 pick if he were still on the board.

I'd be fine trading the #5 for the #17 and #33 and a player (Alge Crumpler, say, if he has two years left on his contract, or Julian Edelman).

Last edited:

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
Crumpler sucks. Say not to him.

If Fairley is on the board and we pass I will be irrate.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Thanks for the mock Mitch. If AJ Green is there I would pick him over anybody else in this draft. Your trade does make sense because Tom Brady would get the next Fitz in Green and have a great receiver for the rest of his career. At 17 I would take Carimi because we need a LT so badly that no matter what QB is playing for us he will be getting a concussion from hitting the ground so much. At 33 if none of the top passrushers have fallen to that spot I would stay with O-linemen. If we take Danny Watkins we would have our LT and LG for the future.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Couldn't we just trade them Fitz for those two picks then take Green at a cheaper price?

Obviously we wouldn't..... Just sayin.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Kudos for the effort and obvious knowledge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the next time the Pats trade up in the 1st rd will be the first.

If that does happen then I will be thrilled, especially since Gabby and Cam are already off the board.

Mitch, you sell me on Houston and now pass him by for a less athletic Kerrigan.

Personal preference but I want a LT drafted before a OG. Since it has been reported that the Cards are looking at OG's at the combine then you are on the right track. Is Hudson the 26 yr old, if so I'd rather go younger.

I think you know by now I don't want a QB drafted after rd1 but WTH do I know.

Love the depth and talent added at the LBer position.

Again, great job. Putting together one of these takes a lot of knowledge and work.

This time around, Cardiac, it would not be a total surprise to see the Pats move up---the player they would move up for more than any other is WR A.J. Green. The thing is---he is the only bona fide #1 star WR in this draft. Julio Jones will make a good #2 and may Hankerson and Baldwin...then there are the slot guys like Titus Young, etc.

Green is the big-time player on offense the Pats need.

That said---I would be fine if we stay put in this scenario and take Green.

In that case, we wouldn't get G Hudson, but I would keep the rest of my picks: OLB Reed, ILB Irving, QB McElroy, TE Green, SS Wilson and DE Winterswyk.

As for Justin Houston---I would be very happy if we are able to draft him---but something keeps nagging at me with regard to Kerrigan---the way Kerrigan brings it play after play---and never comes off the field (Texas A&M rested Von Miller to the tune of 10-12 snaps a game). Kerrigan is a sack, force fumble machine---because he is extremely strong both in the upper and lower body---and he has radar when it comes to sniffing out the clearest path to the QB.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Pouncey is not nearly as good as his brother. I watched him snap after snap for two whole games and I did not see the kind of explosion in the hips and upper body control that his brother possesses.

Still, Arodg, he's solid---could be a starter in 2-3 years.

As for Watkins---I think you have your finger on the pulse of that scenario---I think the Cardinals are very high on him...perhaps at #69 or #102.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take Nick Fairley and walk away feeling like I'd robbed a bank. Same thing I'd do if Da'Quan Bowers was still on the board, system be damned. I think you could get a better trade offer if Green, Fairley, and Peterson were all on the board still, and move down a couple of places.

I do have the hope that we can move down a couple of slots and maybe even more then once. Fairly is a beast, I would think that Branch would not be re-signed however which wouldn't be a big loss.

You know... I would take Jimmy Smith with that #33 pick if he were still on the board.

All the talk of Peterson has me excited about getting an upgrade at the CB position.

I'd be fine trading the #5 for the #17 and #33 and a player (Alge Crumpler, say, if he has two years left on his contract, or Julian Edelman).

I would take a future draft pick instead of a player. It's time for us to start to go into drafts with some extra ammo.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Well if the CBA isn't signed before the Draft the picks will become more valuable, in that NE would have to give up the 17, 28 and a 4th of 5th rounder for #5. AT #5 YOU do not let other teams fleece you for that pick.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
A for effort, but if it went down this way I would seriously throw up all over myself.

Don't worry, BleedRed...it won't happen this way. The Cardinals almost never draft the players I love.

Although, last year was a bit of an anomaly because the Cardinals drafted my hopes for the 2nd and 3rd round picks in Daryl Washington and Andre Roberts...and I learned after the draft that in the 4th round the Cardinals wanted to draft the QB I hoped for, Mike Kafka, but Philly took him in the slot right in front of them---which is why the Cardinals immediately traded back to add another 6th rounder (which then enabled them to take Schofield at the end of Round 4 and then to trade back into the late 5th to take Skelton).

And actually, I think several of us had TE Jim Dray as our 7th rounder...so, as I say, last year was an anomaly.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This time around, Cardiac, it would not be a total surprise to see the Pats move up---the player they would move up for more than any other is WR A.J. Green. The thing is---he is the only bona fide #1 star WR in this draft. Julio Jones will make a good #2 and may Hankerson and Baldwin...then there are the slot guys like Titus Young, etc.

Green is the big-time player on offense the Pats need.

That said---I would be fine if we stay put in this scenario and take Green.

In that case, we wouldn't get G Hudson, but I would keep the rest of my picks: OLB Reed, ILB Irving, QB McElroy, TE Green, SS Wilson and DE Winterswyk.

As for Justin Houston---I would be very happy if we are able to draft him---but something keeps nagging at me with regard to Kerrigan---the way Kerrigan brings it play after play---and never comes off the field (Texas A&M rested Von Miller to the tune of 10-12 snaps a game). Kerrigan is a sack, force fumble machine---because he is extremely strong both in the upper and lower body---and he has radar when it comes to sniffing out the clearest path to the QB.

One can't completely rule out the Pats trading up and I understand why you think they would do so.

I lean more towards BPA instead of BPAFN (fills need) but I just can't justify taking AJ Green. With Peterson and Fairley still on the board I would rather beef up the D instead of add another WR. If the CBA is done and "slotting" in place then I could understand taking Green but at this point I wouldn't be thrilled.

Wasn't it Kerrigan who kept jumping offsides because he needed the quick get off to beat LT's? I do like high effort guys who hit hard etc.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Hey Mitch, I appreciate the mock-up but I would be upset if the cards trade the potential of a Patrick Peterson/Robert Quinn for the combination of Ryan Kerrigan and Ryan Hudson.

Hey Matty...have you watched Kerrigan on tape? I would take him over Quinn and not even think twice. Quinn two years ago, probably not.

One thing I didn't explain in terms of my reasoning is---because I believe that O'Brien Schofield is a 34 WOLB (right side---QB's backside) and not a SOLB...I've been thinking it would be best to draft for the left side---which is where Kerrigan played most of the time at Purdue because they wanted him in the QB's face---and man does this kid deliver. The left side is his natural side.

Quinn strikes me as more of a right side rusher as he was at UNC---and Von Miller is strictly a backside rusher. So---I've been thinking strong side---which is also why I like Justin Houston a lot because he was equally good at rushing from the left and right at Georgia...and they tended to position him on the strong side.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
One can't completely rule out the Pats trading up and I understand why you think they would do so.

I lean more towards BPA instead of BPAFN (fills need) but I just can't justify taking AJ Green. With Peterson and Fairley still on the board I would rather beef up the D instead of add another WR. If the CBA is done and "slotting" in place then I could understand taking Green but at this point I wouldn't be thrilled.

Wasn't it Kerrigan who kept jumping offsides because he needed the quick get off to beat LT's? I do like high effort guys who hit hard etc.

Are you thinking about Jeremy Beal at the Senior Bowl?

That wasn't Kerrigan.

As for A.J. Green---next year we could be without Breaston and then in 2012 without Fitzgerald. If before the draft the Cardinals have signed Breaston and re-signed Fitz, then I totally agree with you.

Otherwise, Green---who one could argue is a top 3 BPA in this draft---would be one of the best and safest picks at #5.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well if the CBA isn't signed before the Draft the picks will become more valuable, in that NE would have to give up the 17, 28 and a 4th of 5th rounder for #5. AT #5 YOU do not let other teams fleece you for that pick.

Perhaps. Instead of the actual slot some teams may value extra draft picks instead. When a draft has a plateau such as this one appears to then more picks can be better then higher picks.

That's why I'm good with the value that Mitch has us getting for trading down. I'd take 3 players in the top 38 picks instead of 2.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice work Mitch.... You really put your heart and soul into these. I enjoy reading them.

I have 3 issues with it though.

I would rather have Moffitt than Hudson.
Fairley will go earlier than that.
NE doesn't trade up IMO.

Hey anytimeuwant---

Most likely you are right about NE---especialy if A.J. Green goes in the top 4 as expected by most of the pundits.

The thing is---Moffitt is the kind of guard you want if you run a power running game---and here's the problem with Whiz and the personnel staff---they have been drafting power running game o-linemen, who tend to struggle in pass pro---and---the Cardinals' offense under Whiz is anything but a power running attack---it's a dink and dunk passing oriented---so in that case, Rodney Hudson---because of how athletic, strong and agile he is---is the right kind of guard for this offense---plus he's adept at pulling, so when you do run, he's made to order for Grimm's pulling and kicking out game.

Nick Fairley is going to slide some...partly due to his off-field question marks and the fact that he clashed with many of his coaches at Auburn---and Fairley has some technique issues, which in light of has Mike Mayock concluding that Marcell Dareus is a better prospect.

But...all this aside...anyone who watched Fairley last year saw one of the most dominating college DTs in the last few years. Will this carry over to the pros?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Patriots believe in two draft philosophies, get value with picks, and quantity is more important than quality.

The Patriots will most likely move down in the first round acquiring future picks and additional middle round picks who are cheaper than the first rounders. Rounds 2 - 4 are more important to the Pats than the 1st round, because if these players bust out it doesn't ruin their team for years financially.

The Pats will sit in the middle of the first round and see which players drop, trading back if they don't perceive any of the available players being significantly better than the rest in that tier on their board.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
This draft is growing increasingly frustrating for me. There are no "sure things" like Fitz, which sucks for a team picking in the top 5. At the same time, all the trade downs feel like we end up taking 2nd round talent in the first round. I really hope a CBA gets worked out and there's a free agency, because I just don't see us getting much immediate impact from this draft class.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05