MLB commissioner says NL teams may be more receptive to DH (Yahoo Sports)

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred says National League teams may be more receptive to the designated hitter than in the past, even though owners ended two days of meetings without any serious discussion about expanding use of the DH. A decline in offense and injuries to pitchers while hitting have stirred speculation the NL might be ready to embrace the designated hitter, which has been used in the American League since 1973. Last week, St. Louis Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said there was more momentum lately for the DH in the NL.

More...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As I have posted in the past, I have been vehemently against the DH in the NL ever since its inception in the AL. But I think its time has come for the National League. Especially since inter-league games became part of the regular season.

The NFC and AFC of the NFL play under one set of rules. The Western Conference and Eastern Conference of the NBA play under one set of rules.

Trying to match up the advantages and disadvantages of the Designated Hitter just doesn't fit anymore.

And as far as the thought of losing the National League strategy on offense with the DL, there have been AL lifers managing in the NL under whom that already began.

I surrender! Adopt the DH in the National League for consistency throughout Spring Training, the season and right through the World Series. It is already pretty consistent through the games kids go through to develop into Minor League and Major League ballplayers.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 8h8 hours ago
Rob Manfred: No DH in NL for "foreseeable future.'' Says "vast majority'' of NL clubs like status quo.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As I have posted in the past, I have been vehemently against the DH in the NL ever since its inception in the AL. But I think its time has come for the National League. Especially since inter-league games became part of the regular season.

The NFC and AFC of the NFL play under one set of rules. The Western Conference and Eastern Conference of the NBA play under one set of rules.

Trying to match up the advantages and disadvantages of the Designated Hitter just doesn't fit anymore.

And as far as the thought of losing the National League strategy on offense with the DL, there have been AL lifers managing in the NL under whom that already began.

I surrender! Adopt the DH in the National League for consistency throughout Spring Training, the season and right through the World Series. It is already pretty consistent through the games kids go through to develop into Minor League and Major League ballplayers.

I completely agree. I was totally against it for years. I think the DH is dumb, everyone should hit, but after watching more AL games this last season (gf is an Angels fan) I can clearly see the advantages of the system. It's totally stupid to have both leagues playing under different sets of rules.

It's time to unite the clans William Wallace...

frankeegee1

All Star
Reaction score
Unite by doing away with it in the AL.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Unite by doing away with it in the AL.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
With the U.S. and worldwide systems now using the DH, right down to school kids, there is not a chance in the world that the AL will dump it. It's too late!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It would put an end to AL and NL stats. Instead you'd just have MLB stats.

sent from a fone

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I completely agree. I was totally against it for years. I think the DH is dumb, everyone should hit, but after watching more AL games this last season (gf is an Angels fan) I can clearly see the advantages of the system. It's totally stupid to have both leagues playing under different sets of rules.

It's time to unite the clans William Wallace...

So like, even RPs? Can't come out until you've had a PA?

BTW, I'd like to see an age vs "I hate the DH" correlation for the sport. My guess is that Baby Boomers are going to dominate that phrase.