MLB to ban home plate collisions

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MLB to ban home plate collisions

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove13/s...ome-plate-collisions-2015&ex_cid=sportscenter

Major League Baseball plans to eliminate home plate collisions, possibly as soon as next season but no later than by 2015.

Sources tell ESPN.com's Buster Olney that there is a strong desire for MLB's rules committee to fast track the specific rule changes in time for next season.

Major League Baseball plans to eliminate home plate collisions, like the one that injured Buster Posey in 2011.

Under the rules changes being discussed, sources told Olney:

• Catchers will not be allowed to block home plate.

• Runners will not be permitted to target the catchers.

• The question of whether or not the plate was blocked or the runner targeted the catcher will be reviewable, with an immediate remedy available to the umpires.

• Catchers or runners who violate the new rules will be subject to disciplinary action.

New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson, chairman of the rules committee, made the announcement Wednesday at the winter meetings.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another similar point, MLB plans to eliminate bases, using "plates" instead (e.g. home plate). "We've just had too many turned ankles to allow this to continue, and hope to have this rule change in place by spring training 2014, MLB reported. MLB also plans to disallow all pitches that travel faster than 59 miles and hour, as many players have gotten nasty looking bruises over the years. MLB hopes for a 2015 implementation of this rule.....

:sarcasm: :rolleyes:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
And popups, craning your neck to try to see these? And the wind swirling in some ballparks makes it even worse. For the love of God.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
homeruns get you a 5 game ban, too many people get hurt and spill their expensive beers going for HR balls

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
They are struggling with the rules for implementation. Just look at Little League rules. If the catcher blocks the plate without the ball, the runner is safe. If the catcher has the ball, he can block the plate and the runner must try to avoid collisions, or he is out.

Not that hard, MLB.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I dunno - I have a hard time saying that a runner doesn't have the right to run hard in a straight line between bases - if you want to put your body as opposed to the ball in that path then so be it

If the ball is clearly there you get something that looks closer to a run down or an evasive action anyway ..... if the ball is clearly late then there really isn't an issue the overwhelming bulk of a time

The issue is on close plays and where people are setup - not to mention that throws coming in are typically long and not exactly precise so the throw will change the dynamic as well.

It sounds simple in theory that the catcher is blocking the plate it's essentially interference and if a runner goes out of their way to initiate contact with a player they aren't operating within the rules either ........ the play is just more dynamic than that

My initial reaction was knee jerk against, but I can understand it looking at the context of what would be allowed during plays at other bases

I do wonder if this would/should carry over to the instances where an infielder will cover their bag and use their calf or foot to limit the ability of the runner to touch the bag where they take the risk of a spike for their efforts or sometimes the runner gets hurt twisting up with them

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many runners or catchers actually get seriously injured in home plate collisions? Outside of Buster Posey and Ray Fosse (Pete Rose collision), who else in the last 100 years?. Guys get injured with slides into 2nd and 3rd base, too.... does that mean that sliding into bases gets banned, too?

This is nuts.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many runners or catchers actually get seriously injured in home plate collisions? Outside of Buster Posey and Ray Fosse (Pete Rose collision), who else in the last 100 years?. Guys get injured with slides into 2nd and 3rd base, too.... does that mean that sliding into bases gets banned, too?

This is nuts.

Are you allowed to block first base? Second Base?

AZ Native

Reaction score
It is my understanding the base cannot be blocked until the fielder has the ball. I could be wrong.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Even with the ball, the 1B doesn't have the right to stand in the baseline and block the bag from the runner, who has the right to overrun it. When the Catcher blocks home plate, he is blocking the baseline.

Just because the Catcher has a chest protector and shin guards on doesn't mean he should be in the runner's path. 2B or SS tag the bag on a double play then get out of the way. But if it is a tag play, they swipe at the runner, just as the 1B or 3B would.

Back in the day, most Catchers were weak hitters and batted 8th. Without researching it in detail, I would say that a greater proportion of Catchers hit higher in the lineup now. If that is what it takes to modernize the rule, it is about time.

AZ Native

Reaction score
I think you are right about blocking 1st base from the hitter. I was thinking for of a pickoff throw.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can block 2nd and 3rd base with the ball, and it is done regularly.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You can block 2nd and 3rd base with the ball, and it is done regularly.
Runners approaching 2B or 3B are different than approaching 1B or home plate because the runner is allowed to overrun 1B or home plate. He must slow his speed by sliding into 2B or 3B to avoid overrunning it.

I got a kick out of your sentence about blocking 2B and 3B with the ball. I had this visual of sticking your hand out with the ball to block the base vs. with a chest protector and shin guards. It was a funny thought. :)

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Runners approaching 2B or 3B are different than approaching 1B or home plate because the runner is allowed to overrun 1B or home plate. He must slow his speed by sliding into 2B or 3B to avoid overrunning it.

I got a kick out of your sentence about blocking 2B and 3B with the ball. I had this visual of sticking your hand out with the ball to block the base vs. with a chest protector and shin guards. It was a funny thought. :)

Nothing like some high spikes coming in to 2nd or 3rd base to cheer up your day. Ty Cobb was known to sit on the dugout steps and file his cleats while eyeing the 3rd baseman.

There are inherent dangers all over the field. Requiring the game to be played in a foam rubber environment is not a desirable thing, I would think.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Nothing like some high spikes coming in to 2nd or 3rd base to cheer up your day. Ty Cobb was known to sit on the dugout steps and file his cleats while eyeing the 3rd baseman.

There are inherent dangers all over the field. Requiring the game to be played in a foam rubber environment is not a desirable thing, I would think.

Played SS thru college and a few years after... I have a road map of scars from spikes up and down my shins, knees and ankles... Man I hated it when the 2nd baseman or pitcher would leave me hanging by throwing a lazy ball, allowing the runner to just about mug me before I could get off second base...

And, how much did the NFL settle their class action law suit for? This is the only reason MLB instituted this rule...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser