More Interesting Stats on drafted QB's

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a bit of a different take on why teams must take a QB in rd1 to get a Franchise QB.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/13682485/2

Posted on: March 7, 2011 10:49 am
Edited on: March 7, 2011 11:10 amScore: 102
Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:Log-in to rate:When to pick a QB?
Quarterbacks are usually the main topic of conversation in any draft, but many around the league are talking up this year's class is one of the deepest we've seen in quite a while.

The debate between whether Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert should be the number one pick is just beginning--and is only likely to get stronger as we approach the draft. Note Rob Rang's earlier blog post on how split teams are regarding which of the two big, strong-armed passers are on the top of their board.

Many fans and media members believe that "bargains" will be found in the late first or second round (Washington's Jake Locker, FLorida State's Christian Ponder, Arkansas' Ryan Mallett) or later in the draft (Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, TCU's Andy Dalton, or Alabama's Greg McElroy).

History tells us, however, that it's unlikely you'll find an elite starter, or even a reliable one, once you've passed the top two quarterbacks in any draft.

Over the past twenty drafts, the top two quarterbacks have started 10 or more games an average of four years during their career. That might seem like a low number, but for every elite passer like Peyton Manning and likely long-term starters with a chance to be elite in Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford, there are the less successful stories of Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell and Alex Smith.

The second QB picked in the last twenty draft isnt' far behind, averaging nearly four years of starting (3.8 vs. 4.1 for #1 passers) and accumulated 18 Pro Bowl appearances against 20 for the top-rated thrower. Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, and possibly even Mark Sanchez help this group overcome the disappointing careers of Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, and Ryan Leaf.

There is a fair drop-off after the top two quarterbacks, however, with the third-selected player averaging just 2.2 years starting and the group gaining 13 Pro Bowl appearances. Brett Favre is the major contributor to this group, as the numbers drop to 1.3 and two, respectively, without his long-time NFL run. Ben Roethlisberger, Jay Cutler, and Josh Freeman are trying to boost those figures, but Bady Quinn and Matt Leinart probably won't help their cause.

For the rest of the top nine quarterbacks over the past twenty drafts (#10 and above have very few starters or Pro Bowlers):
#4: 1.45 average yrs starting, 7 Pro Bowl appearances (Mark Brunell, Daunte Culpepper the main names among the 20 picks)
#5: 1.25, 5 (Marc Bulger, Matt Schaub, David Garrard, Brian Griese)
#6: 0.45, 1 (Gus Frerotte)
#7: 1.35, 10 (Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck)
#8: 0.30, 2 (All starts, Pro Bowls by Trent Green)
#9: 0.6, 1 (Jeff Blake)

The odds, therefore, of finding a quarterback to lead a team for four or more years outside the top two passers taken in any draft are simply not on teams' side. The Tom Brady outlier gives people ancedotal evidence to hold out hope, but the fact is that 20 percent of #3 quarterbacks turn out to be regular starters (with quality ranging from Ben Roethlisberger to Jason Campbell) and that number drops to 10 percent or less of all other quarterbacks selected.

Even in years where the third-sixth-rated passers end up first round picks, as some believe Locker, Mallett and Ponder will be this year, the success of passers outside the top two is not great.

You can hope to find the next Big Ben with the third passer taken in the mid-first, but Akili Smith (at #3), Kyle Boller (19) and Patrick Ramsey (31) are others dragging down the percentages. The 1999 draft including Smith did provide the Vikings Daunte Culpepper, but Rex Grossman, J.P. Losman, Browning Nagle and others show the athletic or strong-armed quarterback usually won't panned out as expected.

Another opinion trending among NFL draft followers is that eight quarterbacks will be selected in the top three rounds, which hasn't happened in recent draft history. In 1999 and 2006, seven quarterbacks were selected in rounds one-through-three. The underwhelming careers of 1999 class alums for talented college QBs Shaun King and Brock Huard, as well as 2006 picks Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, and Brodie Croyle still trying to prove themselves five year later, show that second and third round picks seen as having "upside" often just can't become regular starters.

NFL coaches are given quick three-year tenures in today's win-now NFL, so they push for a potential starting linebacker, cornerback, or receiver in the second and third rounds instead of a quarterback that needs a year or two of seasoning (which they probably won't have the luxury to get).

And remember how a lot of people expected Jimmy Clausen to be a first round pick last year, Colt McCoy put on a late push for a top 40 spot, while Dan LeFevour and Tony Pike were probable second or third round selections? Clausen's off-field issues pushed him into the second round, McCoy went in the third, and LeFevour and Pike both fell to the sixth.

It is possible that the 2011 quarterback draft class approaches the 1999 group, which had five passers taken in the top 12 overall selections, but the erratic play of Locker, off-field questions about Mallett, and Ponder's arm issues--along with strong defensive talent in his draft and teams' knowledge of the lack of success of quarterbacks outside of the top two--makes it more likely three signal callers hear their name called in the first round, two more may go in the second, while Kaepernick, Dalton and others will have to wait until the third or fourth rounds.

--Contributed by NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Chad Reuter

What I get out of this is if you draft a QB after the first two taken in that draft then it's long odds on them amounting to anything. In some drafts maybe the 3rd QB taken will be good but after that stay away from QB's.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I'm totally with you here Cardiac. What a refreshing thought; actually learning from the past and applying that knowledge to future decisions. Now you can sit back and be bombarded by all the people who say; pick other positions in the early rounds and get your starting QB in the later rounds. (Because that has always worked:sarcasm:.) You don't draft based on whats happened in the past, they'll say.

Whatever...some people will never learn and will just keep falling for the same thing year after year, blind to what history has to offer.

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
I'm against drafting a QB in this draft mainly because I think the QB class is dissapointing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
how can leinart hurt cutler's category? i would assume being in the same draft would, by any definition, interpretation, or creative logic, automatically prohibit them from being in the same category. dumb author.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if the Cardinals cannot draft Gabbert or Newton at #5, it seems they should draft a QB later in the draft and likely have just about the same amount of success. I like the logic. However, I wonder if this draft is like the 2006 draft where Young, Leinart and Cutler were the first QBs taken. I haven't followed Newton but I wonder if he compares somewhat to Young.

OP
OP
Cardiac

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
how can leinart hurt cutler's category? i would assume being in the same draft would, by any definition, interpretation, or creative logic, automatically prohibit them from being in the same category. dumb author.

Mistake asside I also am not thrilled with just considering the amount of playing time a QB gets to make a point. Some 1st rounders get tons of playing time because of the money invested and the high draft pick used. Alex Smith comes to mind.

While this article isn't the "Declaration Of Drafting A QB" it does provide evidence to what several of us believe to be true, including yourself Ouchie.;)

The thing that muddies the waters for many Cards fans is that our best QB's have been 2nd rounders (Lomax & Plummer) and 2 undrafted QB's (Hart & Warner). I look at it as this franchises success is related directly to the investment they have made on QB's. Playing the lottery by picking QB's not in rd1 with the most important position in the game will get you all the years of losses we have experienced.

At some point in time the Cards will have to invest properly into the QB position. If not then it will be decades before we become a contender.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Draft Newbbert 2011! ;)

On ESPN Radio this Wednesday morning a reporter who is talking with the Panthers says he gets the feeling from his talks they will take Newton. Gabbert could be there when we draft so Gabbert or a position player? I have no idea what the Cards will do. The strike further complicates this. Even if there were no strike the Cards will need to sign a veteran FA QB (Unless they have completely lost their minds) so the fact that Gabbert would get no preseason training is immaterial as he would unlikely be looked upon to start anyway.

This sudo draft being planned by the NFLPA sounds like a sham. I wonder where the audience would show up which is usually Jets and NYG fans? I would watch the program with the owners present as it is they that will make the picks. I really do not care to see the players that much anyway. I always enjoy listening to Kiper and the other gurus. Any news coming from the players draft would be second hand. I wonder just what the players expect to derive out of this dumb a-- move? I think it just p---- off the fans even more. I assume the NFLPA will have to pay for the players and their families to come to NYC? So far this is not going over very big with the fans and has back fired for the players. I think their plan to have the draftees come to their draft show even makes it worse.