Most underrated Cardinal player ever?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How about Bobby Joe Conrad?

5th all time in career TD's.
2nd to Mel Gray in consecutive games with a catch.
6th All time total receptions
6th All time total receiving yards
10th longest Punt return all time 73 yards
Team season leader in FIELD GOALS! twice
Punt returns leader//season once.
Receiving leader//season 3 times
Kickoff return leader//season once

And the record that really makes him stand out...Had THREE Interceptions in one game against Pittsburgh.

In spite of this outstanding all-around play I doubt He would even get minimal consideration on all time Cardinal team selections or Hall of Honor, if and when the Cards get around to it.

OP
OP
Duckjake

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
or his running mate;

Sonny Randle

That guy had some hands. Caught everything. They were a big reason the Cards won 9 out of 14 three times and 8 of 14 once from 1963-68. It's the only time since the 1920's that the franchise had 4 winning seasons in a six year span.

Hard to believe that the Cards have had only two winning seasons in the last 20 years.

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
JT Thomas
Marcel Shipp (you'll see)

JT Smith? (BJ Thomas ...raindrops keep falling on my head) :D

How about:
RBs: Johny Roland, MacArthur Lane, Jim Otis, LaVoronia Mitchell
WRs: John Gilliam, Ike Harris, Dave Williams.
OL: Irv Goode, Roger Finnie, Bob Young, Bob Reynolds, Tootie Robbins, Terry Steive

DL: John Zook, Curtis Greer, Dave Galloway, Dave Pollard
LB: Dave Arneson, Randy(?) Barnes
DB: Jerry Stovall, Roger Werhli (Hall of Fame).

Who'd I miss? Some of those dudes could really play. :thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out on a limb but for one of the greatest catches I've ever seen anybody remember Dave Stief?

Can't remember the year but he made the most incredible diving reaching one handed catch, it was on highlight reels for a decade, used to be on the opening of either NFL Today or the other show at the time. he was one of those possession guys with great hands but this catch was borderline unreal.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Russ the one handed catch I remember is Roy Green going to the turf after a deep strike.

Pat Tilley was an excellent WR

TE Robert Awalt was good too. CB Norm Thompson or Lionel Washington

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Great call on Lionel Washington. I remember those 8 ints his rookie year I believe.

Curtis Greer was another that gets little mention but was a real tough SOB that liked to hit those QBs.

Leonard Smith also had a solid career after moving to S.

NMCardfan

Rookie
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Out on a limb but for one of the greatest catches I've ever seen anybody remember Dave Stief?

Can't remember the year but he made the most incredible diving reaching one handed catch, it was on highlight reels for a decade, used to be on the opening of either NFL Today or the other show at the time. he was one of those possession guys with great hands but this catch was borderline unreal.

Don't know the play, but I did a bit of research. It was a Monday night game (don't know against who), and the catch was featured on the closing segments of the CBS show. Dave's former roomate in college posted on a different board that he's looking for a tape of the game. By the way, I think he graduated from Portland State (same school as Lomax) a year or two before Lomax. He set a couple of receiving records there.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
NMCardfan said:
Don't know the play, but I did a bit of research. It was a Monday night game (don't know against who), and the catch was featured on the closing segments of the CBS show. Dave's former roomate in college posted on a different board that he's looking for a tape of the game. By the way, I think he graduated from Portland State (same school as Lomax) a year or two before Lomax. He set a couple of receiving records there.

Russ, I remeber the catch also and believe it was better than Roy's one
handed gem. It may have been the greatest one hander I've seen.

Bobcat

Reaction score
gamebird98 said:
Ricky Proehl
We have Buddy to thank for this guy not still being a Cardinal.

But I really think that Jake Plummer is the most Underrated Player we have ever had.

You may ask why...??? Well he was pushed into being a starter to early in his career. Was drafted by the wrong team, and wasn't totally appreciated by the fans here. You may ask who I would blame.
1.) Jake for not being mature enough to handle his growth.
2.) Bidwill for giving him to much money
3.) Jakes agent for helping to destroy the Cards chemistry.
4.) Tobin for not benching Jake when Jake was hurt.
5.) Mac for not pulling him so he could watch how others played QB
6.) Our sports media for playing him up and then attaching him.

All in all Jake was mishandled here in AZ.

Allan

artp

Registered
Reaction score
WR Roy Green. I never thought he was considered one of the best Wr's in the NFL, although IMO, he was.