Movie of the Day" #266 Ying xiong (Hero)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMDB Link

You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon.com Review
Director Zhang Yimou brings the sumptuous visual style of his previous films (Raise the Red Lantern, Shanghai Triad) to the high-kicking kung fu genre. A nameless warrior (Jet Li, Romeo Must Die, Once Upon a Time in China) arrives at an emperor's palace with three weapons, each belonging to a famous assassin who had sworn to kill the emperor. As the nameless man spins out his story--and the emperor presents his own interpretation of what might really have happened--each episode is drenched in red, blue, white or another dominant color. Hero combines sweeping cinematography and superb performances from the cream of the Hong Kong cinema (Maggie Cheung, Irma Vep, Comrades: Almost a Love Story; Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, In the Mood for Love, Hard Boiled; and Zhang Ziyi, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). The result is stunning, a dazzling action movie with an emotional richness that deepens with every step. --Bret Fetzer

My Take

#140 in the IMDB.com top 250. When I saw Crouching Tiger back in 2000, I thought it was one of the best movie of the genre hands down. I believe Hero blows CTHD out of the water. This was the first movie I ever went to the theater and saw by myself, because I wanted to see it so badly. Hero is the most expensive Chinese made film to date and getting it distributed in the US became a tricky proposition.

"Miramax originally acquired the U.S. distribution rights in 2002 after the film's huge success in Asia. However, the film did not receive its U.S. theatrical release until 2004. Before the release of the official U.S. version, the film gained a cult following in the States via "official" copies of the DVD from other countries."

"Studio executives were concerned that the foreign-language film would not be successful at the box office with American audiences. When the film debuted in August 2004, it surprised many by opening at #1 with nearly $20 million in receipts."

After reading D-Dogg's review of Rashomon, I can see the similarities between the two films. I look forward to watching that one and seeing the influences in Hero.

A-Bomb

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great flick...I love the beauty and cinematography in these type of martial arts films...

Mike

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake