Mr. Fitzgerald v. Sheldon Brown

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz's one yard td vs. Brown was the first Brown had given up all year, per Fox.

Fitz' fake was unreal to watch. fakeinsideoncefakeinsidetwicefakeinsidethreetimesgooutsideTDHairyzona!!!

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Hah. Fitzgerald didn't need to fake. That was a TD from the snap when the Eagles put only one DB on him. I was shocked that Brown even stayed with him for the first few fakes. Fitzgerald had a 5" advantage in height, before leaping, on every Eagles CB on the roster. Toss it high - free TD.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hah. Fitzgerald didn't need to fake. That was a TD from the snap when the Eagles put only one DB on him. I was shocked that Brown even stayed with him for the first few fakes. Fitzgerald had a 5" advantage in height, before leaping, on every Eagles CB on the roster. Toss it high - free TD.

OT: Random Guy, question for you. Was that pass interence on Curtis at the end? Would you think any ref would call that on 4th and 10 in the NFC Championship?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Dude, you do remember the play right? The one where Fitz didn't jump at all to catch this TD pass? The one where he didn't have to jump because Brown wasn't even near him due to the fact that he was bent over picking up his JOCK that Fitz had juked him out of, right??

;)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz's one yard td vs. Brown was the first Brown had given up all year, per Fox.

Fitz' fake was unreal to watch. fakeinsideoncefakeinsidetwicefakeinsidethreetimesgooutsideTDHairyzona!!!

Good gracious man, he threw so many feet moves on that man...he had no shot.

It almost looked like he was playing with him.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey, I twisted my ankle on it, and I live in Chicago.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
OT: Random Guy, question for you. Was that pass interence on Curtis at the end? Would you think any ref would call that on 4th and 10 in the NFC Championship?

100% pass interference. It should have been called without a doubt. I've seen the slow-mo replay and I don't see how any real fan of the game can say differently.

But there were worse non-calls in the game that killed the Eagles on 3rd downs. And even worse non-calls in the regular season. I won't stand here and say the Eagles lost the game entirely on that play. That would be silly.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
100% pass interference. It should have been called without a doubt. I've seen the slow-mo replay and I don't see how any real fan of the game can say differently.

But there were worse non-calls in the game that killed the Eagles on 3rd downs. And even worse non-calls in the regular season. I won't stand here and say the Eagles lost the game entirely on that play. That would be silly.

And the kick that was out of bounds that was not out of bounds?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Dude - are you effin serious with this crap??? You want to start naming the plays? And then we can name all the calls that didn't go the Cards way... the numerous holding penalties on our defense that never got called? The kick "out of bounds" that wasn't?? Please.... what a joke....:mulli:

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score

Sure. But Brown stuck with him better than most would have. I like Sheldon Brown a lot more than overrated soft Samuel or a benched Sheppard.

The Eagles play the Giants twice a year. Plaxico Burress murders Philly on that play all the time and Fitz > Plax any day of the week. Even if it was a footrace, even it if was a jump ball - Fitzgerald is scoring a TD on that play 99% of the time against single coverage like that. It was a terrible D play call. And that's not to say that even with double coverage Fitz isn't STILL getting a TD.

All I'm saying is that Arizona had better plays than the gimme TD to Fitzgerald. The Cards ran some pitch-perfect screen plays. On one of them, Eagles LB Stewart Bradley was lucky to make a lateral move to break up a screen play with FOUR upfield blockers. It would have gone for a TD, no doubt. And the Eagles are a big screen play team.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score

Sigh.

That was an odd call, but in the long run it was utterly insignifigant. The replay clearly shows that that the Eagle touched the ball while out of bounds, killing the play.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Dude - are you effin serious with this crap??? You want to start naming the plays? And then we can name all the calls that didn't go the Cards way... the numerous holding penalties on our defense that never got called? The kick "out of bounds" that wasn't?? Please.... what a joke....:mulli:
I am. you asked, I'm giving you my take. The Eagles got screwed on more calls than the Cards, hands down. But even just one day after the game I'm not claiming it was a difference maker. If I needed to go back to my Tivo and watch it I'm sure I would find 2/3 of the worst calls going against my own team. But again...they were beat on style and substance, not the refs. I had no idea how Jim Johnson watches the last two Cardinals games and doesn't have double coverage on Fitzgerald on every single play.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh.

That was an odd call, but in the long run it was utterly insignifigant. The replay clearly shows that that the Eagle touched the ball while out of bounds, killing the play.
Really? Not so sure about clearly, if it touched him at all.

Are you willing to admit you are as biased as I am?

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Not so sure about clearly, if it touched him at all.

Are you willing to admit you are as biased as I am?

We're bopth biased. I would like to think I see non-calls on my own team just as clearly as the opposite but I'm sure I don't. Ask my wife, though - I am very critical and point out non-calls that go my way just as often as I get mad when I see non-called facemasks on Westbrook.

Not sure if you were at the game, but I've seen that kickoff play 20 times now. No doubt in my mind that the refs, had it been reviewable, would have either stuck with the existing call or said that it only hit the player's forearm when the player's feet were clearly out of bounds. Not being a homer on this one - it was pretty clear to me.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randum Guy, I am thinking that right or wrong call all day long, the Cardinals final drive was the difference. Eagles' D failed. Cards win.

Simple as that. Right?

Hope that doesn't seem jerky.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I am. you asked, I'm giving you my take. The Eagles got screwed on more calls than the Cards, hands down. But even just one day after the game I'm not claiming it was a difference maker. If I needed to go back to my Tivo and watch it I'm sure I would find 2/3 of the worst calls going against my own team. But again...they were beat on style and substance, not the refs. I had no idea how Jim Johnson watches the last two Cardinals games and doesn't have double coverage on Fitzgerald on every single play.

So let me see if I get this right... Your defense had given up squat all post season... We bust out and score 24 (should have been more but the refs screwed the kick out of bounds call) in the first half by using Fitz, but also running the ball and Kurt toying with your blitz schemes. And during all this, the refs were screwing your team??? Question - how many times did the refs screw you guys on the final Cards game-winning drive?
LMAO!!!! What a whinning homer... :D

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Randum Guy, I am thinking that right or wrong call all day long, the Cardinals final drive was the difference. Eagles' D failed. Cards win.

Simple as that. Right?

Hope that doesn't seem jerky.

No offense taken.

As an Eagles fan? Not really. The Eagles D failed from the start when they didn't cover Fitzgerald all day with double coverage. Absolutely inexcusable.

The offense was lucky to get them back into the game. But I, like many of my fellow fans, are of the feeling that we won't blame the D players for the end result. Especially the final drive - that was simply earned. You can't overcome terrible play calling. JJ is a defensive genius but I can't understand his mantra going into this game. The D calls seemed to play into every strength the Cardinals have on offense.

Last edited:

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
So let me see if I get this right... Your defense had given up squat all post season... We bust out and score 24 (should have been more but the refs screwed the kick out of bounds call) in the first half by using Fitz, but also running the ball and Kurt toying with your blitz schemes. And during all this, the refs were screwing your team??? Question - how many times did the refs screw you guys on the final Cards game-winning drive?
LMAO!!!! What a whinning homer... :D

I've already said several times that the Eagles played this game with a terible defensive scheme. I wasn't calling the plays. I'm just a fan. A fan that was irate at what I was seeing. The Eagles D can clearly excel when the play calling and game planning is correct for a given opponent. This was NOT what the doctor ordered for the Arizona offense.

As I've said many times, the Eagles were beaten plain and simple. But that doesn't suddenly make the ref calls a 50/50 proposition. I guess you want me to say that the team was clearly beaten on both substance AND that the refs were entirely even? I don't watch football to lie to myself. I saw a game where the Eagles lost four or five drives to bad non-calls. Losing the game on substance doesn't change what I saw. Oh well. Maybe it would be easier to kick me while I'm down if I claimed that the refs were the entire reason the Eagles lost. That wouldn't be true either. I'm sure you can find 1000 fans that will claim that but it wouldn't be me.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've already said several times that the Eagles played this game with a terible defensive scheme. I wasn't calling the plays. I'm just a fan. A fan that was irate at what I was seeing. The Eagles D can clearly excel when the play calling and game planning is correct for a given opponent. This was NOT what the doctor ordered for the Arizona offense.

As I've said many times, the Eagles were beaten plain and simple. But that doesn't suddenly make the ref calls a 50/50 proposition. I guess you want me to say that the team was clearly beaten on both substance AND that the refs were entirely even? I don't watch football to lie to myself. I saw a game where the Eagles lost four or five drives to bad non-calls. Losing the game on substance doesn't change what I saw. Oh well. Maybe it would be easier to kick me while I'm down if I claimed that the refs were the entire reason the Eagles lost. That wouldn't be true either. I'm sure you can find 1000 fans that will claim that but it wouldn't be me.

I'm sorry... but listening to a fan bring up the "missed-calls" when it was clear both teams (as is typically the case) suffered from them, AND when your team had the chance to win by simply doing what they've done all post season - you know, play defense, strikes me as a person finding a way to slip in some excuse-making and some whinning...
The Cards kicked your butts like no other team had done in the post season. We rendered JJ's whacky blitz packages completely useless... Dawkins? Samuel? Did they make any plays at all?? Any??? Did the refs somehow prevent them from doing what they've done all post season??

Look, you've been a pretty solid non-Cards poster, but commenting on the "missed calls" is just too much for me. Either take that all back and admit your team got beat up by a better team, or be on your way...

BCEagle

Registered
Reaction score

I think it was ruled out of bounds because Abiamiri's foot was on the line when the ball touched him. Even though the ball itself never traveled out of bounds, it was ruled a dead play the moment that Abiamiri touched the ball with his foot on the line.

In regards to pass interference, there was definitely contact, Hood was beaten and it looked like his legs got tangled with Curtis'. In the regular season, this is called pass interference 9 times out of 10, but not in the playoffs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was ruled out of bounds because Abiamiri's foot was on the line when the ball touched him. Even though the ball itself never traveled out of bounds, it was ruled a dead play the moment that Abiamiri touched the ball.
I need to look at that again to see if it touched him.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Look, you've been a pretty solid non-Cards poster, but commenting on the "missed calls" is just too much for me. Either take that all back and admit your team got beat up by a better team, or be on your way...

Can't do it. Isn't honest. For whatever reason I am a fan that watches calls like a hawk and usually is upset by them for both teams involved - more so than anyone I know. I know my football and I saw several of the Cards big offensive plays happen even before the ball was snapped. The Eagles lost on substance and I think I'm a better man for saying it. But they also lost the ref calls on an overall basis, especially on third downs. - for better or worse. Either accept it or don't. I won't change on that. You've been a pretty even-keeled fan in my experience.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Can't do it. Isn't honest. For whatever reason I am a fan that watches calls like a hawk and usually is upset by them for both teams involved - more so than anyone I know. I know my football and I saw several of the Cards big offensive plays happen even before the ball was snapped. The Eagles lost on substance and I think I'm a better man for saying it. But they also lost the ref calls on an overall basis, especially on third downs. - for better or worse. Either accept it or don't. I won't change on that. You've been a pretty even-keeled fan in my experience.

Good for you... you're whinning and if that's part of "being who you are", well, good for you...

:p

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you... you're whinning and if that's part of "being who you are", well, good for you...

:p

Alrighty then. Must be a different breed of fan that doesn't accept humble defeat from an opposing fan while maintaining a fair distinction on the ref calls and non-calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05